JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uber doesn't allow driver or rider to carry?...Weird especially after how well other Gun Free Zones work. SMH

Two words.
Legal liability. Same reason I'm sure the vast majority of businesses go out of their way to forbid guns in their stores. The beliefs of the owners/management notwithstanding, they don't want to get stuck with a lawsuit. Lawsuits put companies out of business. I'm sure their concern for potential customer/employee/occupant/etc safety factors in there but honestly, the bottom line is the bottom line.

Not defending it, just saying...

Two words.
Legal liability. Same reason I'm sure the vast majority of businesses go out of their way to forbid guns in their stores. The beliefs of the owners/management notwithstanding, they don't want to get stuck with a lawsuit. Lawsuits put companies out of business. I'm sure their concern for potential customer/employee/occupant/etc safety factors in there but honestly, the bottom line is the bottom line.

Not defending it, just saying...

Legal Liability is right...when you remove the ability for someone to defend themselves it should be 100% on the business to provide said protective or face culpability...My two cents.

Which is why I'll "Always carry".

Uber is still going strong and has gone on to infiltrate 58 countries. It's chauffeurs double every 6 months. Recently, I read an article by collegeusatoday which recommends tips like verifying the identity of the driver before getting in, wait in a safe area for the app notification than venture into darker unsafe area, keep in touch with the family, check for the driver's rating on the app.
I'm still not sure if it is safe to use Uber for female riding solo. But I don't think even a taxi rank better when it comes to safety. Another article on why one should be talking about taxi or uber safety tips (10 Reasons You Should Be Talking About Taxi/Uber Driver Safety Tips | ProTELEC CheckMate).

Uber has terminated a number of drivers for defending themselves. Their weapons ban goes beyond guns.

When I drove for Uber & Lyft, I carried. Hell - most nights I carried two guns - both appendix, so I could access either easily one handed. I figured I would most likely be fighting off crazy passengers/robbers in the car with my strong hand, so I had a backup gun easily accessed by my off hand.

Lyft is just as antigun as Uber. It's BS. As independent contractors you are supposed to be operating without supervision, and providing your own equipment. They have a limit on what they can do - and I'm not 100% sure their ban would withstand a lawsuit, if a driver-contractor were injured and could have defended himself with his legally owned weapon, if he'd carried against their policy.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore - it was mostly fun while it lasted, but I'm in a better position now, still my own boss - so no one is going to tell me I cannot carry. Then again, I ignored the others that tried to just the same. When it's my bubblegum that is getting risked, I get to decide my security measures. Jobs are a dime a dozen for a motivated person, lives you only get one of.

Uber will probably axe this driver, but he'll probably be working for Amazon or Dominoes or his local grocery store within a week.

Uber is going to see more and more issues - they have crap for background checks, they cut their rates in most markets, including Portland, so they won't be attracting good drivers with decent vehicles anymore either.

I applaud them for shaking up an outdated transportation industry, but their anti-driver BS knows no bounds - the reason they are going toward self driving cars is because Uber hates their drivers, and views them as necessary evils until they get the real evil - the fully automated driverless cars - on the road.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top