JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well done Uber driver!

according to the article: "...Uber prohibits drivers from being armed, the Herald reports. A violation of the policy could cost the driver his access to Uber."

It would be nice to have some real reporting, with follow-ups & such, to hear what (if anything) happens to the drivers lively hood.

to hear what (if anything) happens to the drivers lively hood.

This is from Uber's website. I'm curious what the asterisk means.

Uber Firearms Prohibition Policy
Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app.*
Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber.

* To the extent permitted by applicable law.

My BIL drives for Uber and keeps a Glock 17 in his console.
He drives just for something to do in retirement but says he isn't risking his
life just to get some guy to the airport.

Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app.*

This is so stupid. Why would a passenger feel safer knowing that in the event of an emergency like the ones described, their driver would not be able to respond with anything more than harsh language and maybe a tire iron?
If I were an uber driver I would most definitely be armed. I lived in nyc for awhile and taxi drivers were robbed at gunpoint on the regular.

"...This category is blocked: Weapons...."

Oh well, I'll have to read up on this one after shift.
Here you go!

Andre Satcher, 28, was booked Saturday morning on two counts of carjacking, two counts of armed robbery with a firearm, possession of a firearm by a felon and a slew of traffic violations. (Photo: Orlean Parish Sheriff's Office)
An Uber driver opened fire on his would-be carjacker early Saturday morning in what New Orleans police are indicating was self-defense.

Police say the driver fired multiple times at alleged carjacker Andre Satcher, 28, after he "made a motion" that prompted the driver to fear he'd be shot. One bystander was hit by a stray round, but was treated for a graze wound to his hand and later released from the hospital.

New Orleans Police Department Eighth District Commander Nicholas Gernon told reporters during a press conference Saturday afternoon that the Uber driver will not be charged in connection with the shooting.

"At this point, we feel as though he was acting in response to a threat to his life," Gernon told reporters. "But we will put the entire package together for the district attorney's office to give them the opportunity to review our work independently, and see if there's anything there he might have some criminal culpability for."

"At this point, he is the victim of a carjacking," Gernon added.

The altercation unfolded around 1:30 a.m. Saturday after the Uber driver picked up a local female passenger from a hotel on Canal Street.

As the Uber vehicle pulled up to a stoplight at a nearby intersection, police say Satcher jumped out of a silver sedan with a gun in his hand and demanded the 35-year-old Uber driver and his passenger out of the car. The driver initially complied, but as he exited the vehicle he retrieved a handgun stowed in the driver's side door and began shooting.

As bullets whizzed by, the panicked carjacker jumped into the Uber vehicle and sped away, nearly hitting two NOPD officers conducting traffic control. The carjacker hit three vehicles in his attempt to evade police, before leaping out of the car and attempting to flee on foot. Officers say he made it only a few steps before he was apprehended.

Satcher is charged with carjacking, armed robbery with a firearm, illegal carrying of a firearm by a felon on top of a host of traffic violations. Bond is set at $400,000.

Court records indicate this isn't Satcher's first run-in with the law. He was arrested in 2009 for aggravated assault with a firearm, second-degree kidnapping and first-degree murder. Both the kidnapping and murder charges were later refused.

Though police say the Uber driver is not culpable for the shooting as of right now, it's unclear whether he will face any consequences under Uber's strict no-gun policy. The ride-sharing organization clearly states on its website that it "prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app." Violation of the policy can result in riders or drivers losing access to Uber.

UberNOART.jpg

Here you go!

Andre Satcher, 28, was booked Saturday morning on two counts of carjacking, two counts of armed robbery with a firearm, possession of a firearm by a felon and a slew of traffic violations. (Photo: Orlean Parish Sheriff's Office)
An Uber driver opened fire on his would-be carjacker early Saturday morning in what New Orleans police are indicating was self-defense.

View attachment 329842

No doubt he was just getting his life back on track and was on his way to College. Wonder is Odumbo will start saying if he had a son this is what he would look like?

Let me see if I got this right?

I go through an extensive background check to carry my gun.
And you feel unsafe with Me?

Will you pass the Uber background check?

Uber background check and driving record check criteria
Your background must meet these conditions:

• A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least 3 years licensing history)
  • A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years
  • No DUIs and no reckless driving
    • California Uber drivers must not have a DUI in the last 10 years.
  • A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving theft, violence or drugs in a given time frame
  • No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
  • Uber does not perform a credit check
Starting November 2016, Uber is now allowing some non-violent felons to become drivers.

Let me see if I got this right?

I go through an extensive background check to carry my gun.
And you feel unsafe with Me?

Will you pass the Uber background check?

Uber background check and driving record check criteria
Your background must meet these conditions:

• A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least 3 years licensing history)
  • A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years
  • No DUIs and no reckless driving
    • California Uber drivers must not have a DUI in the last 10 years.
  • A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving theft, violence or drugs in a given time frame
  • No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
  • Uber does not perform a credit check
Starting November 2016, Uber is now allowing some non-violent felons to become drivers.

Great. When they start firing drivers who legally shoot criminals they can replace them with felons. Good business practice. Should work out real well for them.

This is so stupid. Why would a passenger feel safer knowing that in the event of an emergency like the ones described, their driver would not be able to respond with anything more than harsh language and maybe a tire iron?
If I were an uber driver I would most definitely be armed. I lived in nyc for awhile and taxi drivers were robbed at gunpoint on the regular.

Which is why I'll "Always carry".

IIRC dont uber drivers drive their own vehicles? if so, NOONE will tell me i cant have my own gun in my own vehicle if i am lawfully able to own a gun. uber can suck it

Uber has terminated a number of drivers for defending themselves. Their weapons ban goes beyond guns.

When I drove for Uber & Lyft, I carried. Hell - most nights I carried two guns - both appendix, so I could access either easily one handed. I figured I would most likely be fighting off crazy passengers/robbers in the car with my strong hand, so I had a backup gun easily accessed by my off hand.

Lyft is just as antigun as Uber. It's BS. As independent contractors you are supposed to be operating without supervision, and providing your own equipment. They have a limit on what they can do - and I'm not 100% sure their ban would withstand a lawsuit, if a driver-contractor were injured and could have defended himself with his legally owned weapon, if he'd carried against their policy.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore - it was mostly fun while it lasted, but I'm in a better position now, still my own boss - so no one is going to tell me I cannot carry. Then again, I ignored the others that tried to just the same. When it's my bubblegum that is getting risked, I get to decide my security measures. Jobs are a dime a dozen for a motivated person, lives you only get one of.

Uber will probably axe this driver, but he'll probably be working for Amazon or Dominoes or his local grocery store within a week.

Uber is going to see more and more issues - they have crap for background checks, they cut their rates in most markets, including Portland, so they won't be attracting good drivers with decent vehicles anymore either.

I applaud them for shaking up an outdated transportation industry, but their anti-driver BS knows no bounds - the reason they are going toward self driving cars is because Uber hates their drivers, and views them as necessary evils until they get the real evil - the fully automated driverless cars - on the road.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top