JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/03/14/u-s-must-demolish-thousands-of-its-vehicles-in-afghanistan/

"U.S. troops could have to destroy thousands of their own "excess" vehicles in Afghanistan if buyers can't be found and the services don't reverse course on bringing them home, the top U.S. commandeer said Thursday.

The U.S. has been looking to sell about 4,000 vehicles that the services have said are "in excess" of their needs — MRAPs, Humvees, medium trucks and others – to friendly countries but so far there have been few takers, said Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, commander of the coalition and U.S. Forces-Afghanistan.

Dunford posed his own question: "What do I do" with that vehicle that has been ruled "in excess" of the needs of the U.S. military? Dunford's solution: "Either it's going to go to some other country or it's going to be destroyed in Afghanistan."

It's already been decided by the Pentagon that Dunford can't just leave the vehicles for the Afghan National Security Forces.

In the case of the MRAPs, the Defense Logistics Agency said late last year that it would cost too much to fix them up, and the Afghans wouldn't be able to maintain them or handle the on-board computers, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Dunford said he currently has about 1,230 excess MRAP (Mine Resistant/Ambush Protected) vehicles, which originally cost about $1 million apiece."

It's like pushing all those "excess" aircraft off the ship decks when the Vietnam war wrapped up. The logic is that it costs more to handle/ship the suckers back than what they cost to produce them... Does that mean it's "cheaper" to transport them to the theater of operations in the first place?

NOT!

I think a big factor in this is the tensions with Russia. We have used Russia to transport troops and equipment into Afghanistan. With all the trade sanctions we are going to enforce on them coming up monday over their hostile acts in the Ukraine I'm sure they won't be letting us use the route we have been using.

Last Edited:
I've gotten them buried (and stuck) in mud 4' deep and burned through THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of rounds with a pintle mounted M60 in Central America, driven them over 15' tall logging slash-piles in Germany, forded across 5' deep streams with the snorkel kit while standing on the floor boards... Good times!

(OK, back on topic.... Sorry)

Just another lesson not learned from the past. Same thing russia did when they left and then the terrorist used everything they could against us 20 years later.

Just another huge cost the tax payers fronted and the govt mismanaged and wasted.
I think if someone really dug in and looked at all the money taken from saddam, and wasted or stolen in iraq and afghanistan we would be able to give every American about $10 million bucks.

Just another lesson not learned from the past. Same thing russia did when they left and then the terrorist used everything they could against us 20 years later.

Just another huge cost the tax payers fronted and the govt mismanaged and wasted.
I think if someone really dug in and looked at all the money taken from saddam, and wasted or stolen in iraq and afghanistan we would be able to give every American about $10 million bucks.

Or at least pay for their healthcare for a year. ;)

Yup we can just replace the Humvee's when they get back with new ones..............
Oh wait.... GM aint building them any more and gee, they were only 100K plus each.
Leave it to an administration known for it's WASTE, FRAUD and ABUSE of the American taxpayer.

I wonder how Odumbo is going to blame destroying them on Bush? Totally pathetic

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top