JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you use your turn signal?

• Yes

Votes: 102 91.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Is this some sort of police trap?

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
Funny. I moved to Kentucky in 2010 for about a year. Once I hit Missouri people stopped using common road etiquette.

No more turn signals, everyone ran red lights, you name it.

I hate when people don't use turn signals.

Up here, the turn signal is the direction the front tires are going.
The speed limit is the bumper of the car ahead.
Yellow means floor it!
Red means tailgate the other red-light runners!

Nice post - either the PNW has bad drivers or they have gotten a lot worse ok the last 20 years.

I see so many people on blue tooth phone conversations that are oblivious to the traffic around them.

They get pissy if you honk for more then a micro second at a green light and take it as a personal insult if you lay on the horn because they did something stupid.

I think it comes down to responsibility and the people who are, are not as prominant as it once was.

I use my signals religiously. Even in parking lots my wife likes to point out.

That's me to a t.

Those saying that the PNW has the worst drivers in the nation are wrong. I have driven all over the country and can undoubtedly say that the Gulf Coast drivers are absolute worst. They are only comparable to drivers in third world nations.

They do it all, the only time they talk on their cel phone is when they get in the car, no signals, speeding up so a car can't get in front of them, right turns from the left lane, left turns from the right lane, at a known congestion point they will speed up to the front and try to force their way in, I've seen them (more than a few times) take an onramp to get off the freeway to avoid congestion, backing down the shoulder to get to an exit they missed, every bad thing you can think of, they do it........including the school bus drivers.

My wife says that I complain about the drivers everywhere (which is true), but I have quit complaining about it as much since I left the Gulf south.

Ray

As a driver, it only makes sense to use turn signals, so I do. As a bicycle and motorcycle rider, too, the stakes go up exponentially. I have to assume that others will not:
- see me
- see my signals
- use their signals
- regard my 2-wheeler as any sort of a physical threat
- care if I live or die

Cynical and disgusted with everyone on the road? You bet! Statistics tell the story. So expecting (since the 1960's) the kind of thoughtless, distracted negligence that could kill me has saved my bacon countless times.

That's right. I said bacon.

Last Edited:
People do not take the responsibility of operating a automobile seriously these days! A lot of it is all the high tech, fancy stuff cars have these days! The other thing, How some of these people con there way into a licence in the first place! Seriously, I Bet half of them get the licence out of a vending machine! Instant right to drive with zero training! Ugg..................I have to drive for all the idiots on the road, cause they cant!

People do not take the responsibility of operating a automobile seriously these days! A lot of it is all the high tech, fancy stuff cars have these days! The other thing, How some of these people con there way into a licence in the first place! Seriously, I Bet half of them get the licence out of a vending machine! Instant right to drive with zero training! Ugg..................I have to drive for all the idiots on the road, cause they cant!

"Duuuuude, let me call you back. There's a guy in a helmet on the hood of my car, and he looks pissed."

Can I ask a question of Washington drivers?

In Washington drivers Ed. do they teach you specifically to not make any effort to tactically merge from an onramp?

Do they teach you to just drive till the lane physically forces you to merge regardless of what you are merging into, without paying attention and just assuming people are going to get out of your way slow or speed up to accommodate you as you are merging?

Can I ask a question of Washington drivers?

In Washington drivers Ed. do they teach you specifically to not make any effort to tactically merge from an onramp?

Do they teach you to just drive till the lane physically forces you to merge regardless of what you are merging into, without paying attention and just assuming people are going to get out of your way slow or speed up to accommodate you as you are merging?

Wow. You guys are making me want to invest in a dash cam and start posting videos.

These days there are so many rules against hating people, race, sex, etc. I guess some folks have to find other reasons. I'm pretty sure that is why gun control is being pushed so hard these days. It's human nature.

And to answer your question. No. What is important to me is to drive in ways that help to move traffic most efficiently which means merging early and smoothly. Problem is in Portland, most folks speed up to block you off. Then everyone has to brake and it slows everything down.

Wow. You guys are making me want to invest in a dash cam and start posting videos.

You should, I have one. I got it specifically to protect myself against the Washington plates I encounter on my daily commute. I can start saving the footage and we can have a video competition: Washington Vs. Oregon, whos got worse drivers?

As to everything else you said, I dont think there's a lot of hate here, just frustrated daily life gripes that all of us have.

And PS the left lane is not the scenic by way. :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top