Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by amcardon, Apr 12, 2011.

1. amcardon

amcardon Mustang, OK Member

So with turkey opening up soon I was wondering how many of you guys actually hunt turkey? I grew up in Hood River and always heard orchardists complain about the turkey population in the orchards but now that I'm interested in hunting them they all say they haven't had problems (some haven't even seen any) with turkeys in years... Bummer, I could get onto a lot of the property in that area...

So, I'm wondering how many of you really hunt turkey and how successful are you? I would love to do some spring hunting but all my hopes were dashed to pieces when everybody (that I know) that used to have turkey problems say they're now a rarity...

2. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I took my first turkey last fall, had lots of fun, definitely going to try for a spring turkey this weekend as well. I'm lucky though, father in law has 60 acres that are inundated with gobblers.

3. amcardon

Inundated, eh? Any chance he'd mind a couple of med-students with bows to come out? :D Any ideas or recommendations for public land with turkey?

4. LWYM425

LWYM425 Snohomish county Member

Going out for my second time this weekend. I went for the fall season in 2009 with no luck. Private property my coworker's dad owns in the NE corner of the state.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there are turkeys on the Olympic Peninsula? (East side)

6. amcardon

By the way, has anybody ever used a turkey call from Aaron Wingert? I got one a couple months back and she's almost too pretty to take out! Almost... :D

7. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I got 2 the last 3 years and going this weekend. Love and coyote hunt at the same time.

Good luck all

8. kalanikai

kalanikai Tigard Member

Heading out to White River in Tygh Valley this weekend, never done a solo trip. I tried turkeys last fall but didnt see a thing, hoping to get a beter chance this time around.

9. amcardon

Good luck! I'm still searchin around to find either private land who will let me on or some public that I might have a chance of bagging a bird...

10. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

I picked up a tag, I am hoping I can find some in the Corvallis area, last fall I figured I wouldn't even find any turkeys but on the last day you could buy tags last year I ran across a couple flocks ranging from 10-15 birds. They were all in people's yards or edges of fenced in property, in the middle of nowhere. I know my wife has a friend that has around 30 some turkeys on her parents land. I am having the wife ask if she really meant I could hunt out there and hopefully fill my first tag.

11. amcardon

Nice! Glad you were able to find some at least, hopefully you can get out there and bag a bird! Good luck!

12. LWYM425

LWYM425 Snohomish county Member

Just got back from a hunt around the Lake Roosevelt area. The camp only brought in 4, I was skunked but did roost some which contributed to the effort. Had a hen walk around the tree I was sitting by, seriously thought about the legality of being able to take it with a kabar lol

13. amcardon

Glad to hear you guys had some success at least! I don't think I'm going to be able to make it out this year. Just can't rationalize a 3 hour drive for a turkey right now... Oh well, there will be many years to come.