JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Robert,

I do not know if they are renters or not, but I suspect they are. Here's why: The kindly retired couple that used to live there and with whom I interacted with splendidly for 15 years (until 2 years ago when they sold the place) told me they sold the place to a retired USMC gentleman, an LTC if I recall correctly. I have never seen anyone in that backyard that might remotely fit the description of a retired USMC LTC. But then again, I'm not Mrs. Kravitz from Bewitched, peeking over the fence at all hours of the day/night. That being said, I do see a lot of Millennial and early-Gen Z types making noise out there. I have toyed with the idea of calling the person listed as the property owner in County records, but that seems to me to be laying the problem at the feet of someone who is not the problem. But maybe that time has come for that approach, so I appreciate your suggestion. Have you run into a similar problem with renters where you were compelled to contact the landlord? If so, how does landlord/tenant law support that, given that we are now in "COVID times" where renters aren't even required to pay the rent anymore? Not being snarky, I just want to know if this is a viable approach these days.

And let me apologize to you if you were offended, but I did not say that you were of no help. I said, or at least my intended meaning was, that the process for dealing with nuisance animals is of no help in this town.

See what I wrote here:

I do not believe that the above remark was directed at you personally, but rather at the AC folks and their process. If you took it that way, then I'm sorry that you did, but that was not my intention.

Lastly, nowhere here have I asked permission or sought an excuse to do anything illegal. In fact, I believe I've gone out of my way to state that I will not do anything illegal. In no way do I intend to do anything that would endanger my gun rights. I'm searching/asking for legal approaches to solve this problem. To that end, I think both of your earlier suggestions, (hypersonic bark device and landlord engagement - if they are indeed renters) are likely the two best avenues to go down now. I was unaware of the hypersonic device until very early this morning, so that's a new thing to investigate and I appreciate you mentioning it, if for no other reason than I might not have discovered it myself. In closing, I'm just not the kind of guy to go gripe to the landlord. That's what I thought noise ordinances, police, and animal control officers were for...
You should be able to go to the county and get the name of the property owner. If the name of the owner has 2 first names (Booby Lee, Harley Joe, etc) That is probably your neighbors. But it may be that you can get contact info on the true owner also. He is responsible for the people he rents to.

-If you have HD video cameras and an upstairs window I would make them on a 24/7 loop.
-Are you talking to the police or the sheriff? I would go into the sheriff's office (forget the police)and demand that your complaints be filed whether they want to or not. It becomes an official record that you can use in court before a judge later. Keep a ledger for any contact with the neighbors or any deputies.
-Call the ASPCA or PETA about any dogs that are tied up all the time. They got more money than you.

Good luck. Carry every day! And I would check my yard EVERY DAY for foreign objects.

First off, apologies to all of you out there that have dogs that are trained and behaved...

rant/
The asshat "neighbors" are at it again. For the past two weekends, plus all week in between, they've left their barking, yowling, whining, crying, yelping mutts (3 of them!) abandoned in their backyard with no one home to do a damned thing about it. I am at my wit's end. I have a conference call to Nairobi at 0630 tomorrow, and I can't get a lick of sleep. It's been like this since Friday the 6th, when those assmutts got dropped off and left.

The cops won't do anything. They say it's Animal Control's job. Animal Control won't do anything without months and months of recorded data on their cute little forms of each and every date, time, location, and duration of each particular dog barking. Can't kill 'em, no one takes them inside or quiets them, and I'm out of options. I have zero quality of life, I can't even use my backyard, being barked and snarled at constantly through the fence. It's a PITA to try and grill and I feel like a damned burglar in my own backyard with "Security" lighting off every time I even open my back door. My neighborhood sucks now because of these disrespectful assclowns and their dogs. Yet, if I call them out on it, then I'm a racist and must check my white privilege.

They are barking at absolutely nothing right now... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

/rant

Can one get a restraining order on dogs? o_O
Word of advice, do not call up 1-800-petmeds and ask them for meds to put your neighbors dogs to sleep. They are not very sympathetic ... so I've heard...

Set up a camera on them, put the feed on a 24 hr webcam site, and the let the Human Society types know what URL is. Once they become infamous on social media, things might change for the better...

People are annoying. The closer the proximity to people, the more annoyance you have to deal with. That's why I live in the sticks.
And is why I'm looking at properties in the sticks in Idaho of 40 to 80 acres...

You should be able to go to the county and get the name of the property owner. If the name of the owner has 2 first names (Booby Lee, Harley Joe, etc) That is probably your neighbors. But it may be that you can get contact info on the true owner also. He is responsible for the people he rents to.
I have the full name of the property owner. By the standards of the day, he is a POC, which ostensibly limits my options as a conservative/libertarian white male. I also have a phone number for this person. But as I have explained, I am loathe to bring this person into this issue for something for which he is not directly responsible. That being said, listening to these undisciplined mutts barking their fool heads off as I type this, that may have to change very soon...
-If you have HD video cameras and an upstairs window I would make them on a 24/7 loop.
A row of very tall (20 feet) arbor vitae separates my backyard from theirs. No direct view
-Are you talking to the police or the sheriff? I would go into the sheriff's office (forget the police)and demand that your complaints be filed whether they want to or not. It becomes an official record that you can use in court before a judge later. Keep a ledger for any contact with the neighbors or any deputies.
The police, since I live within the city limits. Did not think the sheriff would get involved since its not his jurisdiction.
-Call the ASPCA or PETA about any dogs that are tied up all the time. They got more money than you.
They are not tied up. They roam the neighbor's backyard freely, barking their fool heads off wherever they go. It's incessant, and they are unrestrained.
Good luck. Carry every day! And I would check my yard EVERY DAY for foreign objects.
Meaning? o_O Are these loozrz going to bomb my home?

I have the full name of the property owner. By the standards of the day, he is a POC, which ostensibly limits my options as a conservative/libertarian white male. I also have a phone number for this person. But as I have explained, I am loathe to bring this person into this issue for something for which he is not directly responsible. That being said, listening to these undisciplined mutts barking their fool heads off as I type this, that may have to change very soon...

A row of very tall (20 feet) arbor vitae separates my backyard from theirs. No direct view

The police, since I live within the city limits. Did not think the sheriff would get involved since its not his jurisdiction.

They are not tied up. They roam the neighbor's backyard freely, barking their fool heads off wherever they go. It's incessant, and they are unrestrained.

Meaning? o_O Are these loozrz going to bomb my home?
Thanks for the answers. I do not have all of the answers for your situation. Me, I'm a Sheriff-fan, even in a city they have a more citizen oriented attitude, and the Sheriff himself is usually elected. They will (should) respond to you, the police don't seem to be of help for you.

I truly do wish you well in all of this.

@Lazyfaire What did you mean by the "check my yard EVERY DAY for foreign objects" reference?

Should I be worrying about mines/explosives? o_O

Just think that it seems like Clem and his clan could take out their attitude on you dog or cat .
Gotcha. Thing is, the evidence suggests that Juan and his clan ain't all that smart, and are entirely too self-centered to see beyond their own little world.

Gotcha. Thing is, the evidence suggests that Juan and his clan ain't all that smart, and are entirely too self-centered to see beyond their own little world.
Until you put yourself in their little world. Take all of the records that AC refused and file them with the Sherrif, as mentioned earlier. They are likely to accept them as part of a complaint. Now you have strong evidence to present to the homeowner. Evidence that will carry weight in court. That aught to light a fire under his azz.

Until you put yourself in their little world. Take all of the records that AC refused and file them with the Sherrif, as mentioned earlier. They are likely to accept them as part of a complaint. Now you have strong evidence to present to the homeowner. Evidence that will carry weight in court. That aught to light a fire under his azz.
Remember that if a complaint has not been officially FILED with the law that you cannot have a chain of conduct. You'll have to demand that the complaint be filed whether the popo does anything about it or not. In order to win in court you will have to prove that this is a constant ongoing issue. Good luck

Last Edited:
If I were in you position I would experiment with devices that emit ultrasonic sound waves back at the dogs when they bark...
Getting the city, landlord or tenant to solve the issue is "iffy" at best and will probably require a long protracted effort on your part...
The next option is to dispatch the offending dogs, but that comes with another set of problems that is best avoided...
My few minutes of research (Google-YouTube) leads me to believe that ultrasonic devices can work in circumstances similar to yours. The issue appears to be the scale of the device, is it powerful enough to to emit the ultrasonic waves to where the offending canine is.

This is $150 and is advertised as 60 day return if it does not work. If it were me, I would be willing to buy up to four of those and place them in the hedge that you mentioned is between the properties. I would pay that amount to simply have the issue resolved...

It appears that whistles which emit the same ultrasonic frequency are available cheaply, you could experiment first with one of those to observe the reactions of the dogs...

My next step would be to increase the power of the ultrasonic noise I was sending at the offending dogs. If the commercial device(s) were not powerful enough to provide relief, I would upscale a homemade ultrasonic emitter. I would find someone with the electrical knowledge to do this (can't be that difficult), there are probably people here who could or who know somebody. It does appear this technology will stop the dogs from barking if you send back a strong enough ultrasonic sound wave...

I would make this personal; you vs the dogs....

If I were in you position I would experiment with devices that emit ultrasonic sound waves back at the dogs when they bark...
Getting the city, landlord or tenant to solve the issue is "iffy" at best and will probably require a long protracted effort on your part...
The next option is to dispatch the offending dogs, but that comes with another set of problems that is best avoided...
My few minutes of research (Google-YouTube) leads me to believe that ultrasonic devices can work in circumstances similar to yours. The issue appears to be the scale of the device, is it powerful enough to to emit the ultrasonic waves to where the offending canine is.

This is $150 and is advertised as 60 day return if it does not work. If it were me, I would be willing to buy up to four of those and place them in the hedge that you mentioned is between the properties. I would pay that amount to simply have the issue resolved...

It appears that whistles which emit the same ultrasonic frequency are available cheaply, you could experiment first with one of those to observe the reactions of the dogs...

My next step would be to increase the power of the ultrasonic noise I was sending at the offending dogs. If the commercial device(s) were not powerful enough to provide relief, I would upscale a homemade ultrasonic emitter. I would find someone with the electrical knowledge to do this (can't be that difficult), there are probably people here who could or who know somebody. It does appear this technology will stop the dogs from barking if you send back a strong enough ultrasonic sound wave...

I would make this personal; you vs the dogs....
It's got a lot of negative reviews on Amazon.

It's got a lot of negative reviews on Amazon.
Looks like they have several of them. Much as I dislike Jeff and a lot of what he does with his money the one BIG upside is nothing to lose by trying. Sobo, buy one or two of them. If they work great. If not you just tell them they do nothing and drop them off at any UPS drop off place and get all your money back.

First off, apologies to all of you out there that have dogs that are trained and behaved...

rant/
The asshat "neighbors" are at it again. For the past two weekends, plus all week in between, they've left their barking, yowling, whining, crying, yelping mutts (3 of them!) abandoned in their backyard with no one home to do a damned thing about it. I am at my wit's end. I have a conference call to Nairobi at 0630 tomorrow, and I can't get a lick of sleep. It's been like this since Friday the 6th, when those assmutts got dropped off and left.

The cops won't do anything. They say it's Animal Control's job. Animal Control won't do anything without months and months of recorded data on their cute little forms of each and every date, time, location, and duration of each particular dog barking. Can't kill 'em, no one takes them inside or quiets them, and I'm out of options. I have zero quality of life, I can't even use my backyard, being barked and snarled at constantly through the fence. It's a PITA to try and grill and I feel like a damned burglar in my own backyard with "Security" lighting off every time I even open my back door. My neighborhood sucks now because of these disrespectful assclowns and their dogs. Yet, if I call them out on it, then I'm a racist and must check my white privilege.

They are barking at absolutely nothing right now... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

/rant

Can one get a restraining order on dogs? o_O
Hmmm sounds to me that if you want to stick with legal options only thing I can think of is give the owner an incentive. An incentive can be positive or negative. Maybe figure out a way to have an effective positive or negative incentive for him to use without fail the 3 dog anti-bark collars you buy for the dogs f.e.?

What I mean is what reason will he have have to listen to you or care? What reason would make him pay attention and or want to do it? Unless there is an incentive (such as fear of consequences or some reward) you won't get his attention by the sound of it.

Outside of that, do you have any other "legal" and/or grey area options when the three dogs break into your property and or damage your property while they are there?

Are they tenants? If so, there is your incentive. The landlord will not want the endless and exponentially growing trouble that is coming his way, he would likely make them get rid of the dogs which is light years easier than dealing with the lawyer, city, police etc etc. There is a big incentive for the landlord to not have to deal with it.

If they are tenants I would only work with the landlord. It may be much easier to solve than you think. But I don't know if they are tenants or not.

Howabout a garden hose, while you do the long legal path. Has worked for me in the past. Eventually dogs get tired of getting sprayed and go the other way when they see you.

1) Band together with your neighbors. If the dogs are bothering you, they are probably bothering others...albeit maybe less if they live further away. But when the dogs bark, ALL neighbors call both the police and Animal Control and report it, in addition to filing the formal written complaint. Do this each time, every time...and keep calling...regardless of what you get told over the phone. Be as much of a nuisance as you can to the police and AC until something gets done about it.

2) Contact the owner of the property immediately. Get over the fact that it's not his problem. IT IS HIS problem because he should have better screened his renters...or raised better kids if they're his spawn. Be nice and polite at first and see if he is willing to do anything. For all you know these renters aren't supposed to have dogs there at all and the owner might be grateful for the knowledge. If the owner doesn't do anything, then you and your neighbors add him to the call list. Each time the dogs bark, all neighbors call the property owner and give him hell...and keep calling him until the dogs stop. If he won't do anything about the dogs, he will at least share in the misery of being disturbed each time the dogs bark.

3) If 1 & 2 don't get you anywhere it's time to consult a real estate attorney and find out what other legal recourse you might have. For example, San Diego used to have a program for dealing with "nuisance neighbors." The program covered things like noise disturbance and dogs constantly barking. It allowed the other neighbors to band together and sue the offending neighbor in a small claims court setting. The cool part was that whatever money was awarded, got multiplied by each neighbor that joined the suit. So things could get real expensive real fast for the offending party.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

WOLVERINES!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top