JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking to a buddy this morning and he was telling me his wife likes his M&P 40, but the round was a little too much for her to shoot accurately.
I have loaded some 38 special with IMR Trail Boss. What I found with Trail Boss was less recoil and report, accurate shooting with a lower velocity. I have only loaded lead SWC projectiles with Trail Boss.
I shared my experiences loading this powder with my friend. We both wondered if it would be a good powder to use in self defense rounds for his wife. I looked and didn't find any loads for anything but cowboy rounds for Trail Boss and was wondering if anyone had experimented with it in a semi-auto weapon. My skepticism comes in wondering if you would get enough blowback to properly operate a semi-auto.

So I finally tried this and the results were impressive. I loaded small primer 45 acp cartridges with 5.8 grains of Trail Boss, using a 230 grain jacketed round nose projectile. I didn't have any JHP at the time and wanted to simulate them as much as possible. I fired these purposely without hearing protection. They fired in my Springfield ultra-compact 1911 flawlessly. I don't have a chronograph so I can't tell you projectile speed, but it seemed to be sufficient. I will be loading some JHP soon, hell I may even use them for SD.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top