JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking to a buddy this morning and he was telling me his wife likes his M&P 40, but the round was a little too much for her to shoot accurately.
I have loaded some 38 special with IMR Trail Boss. What I found with Trail Boss was less recoil and report, accurate shooting with a lower velocity. I have only loaded lead SWC projectiles with Trail Boss.
I shared my experiences loading this powder with my friend. We both wondered if it would be a good powder to use in self defense rounds for his wife. I looked and didn't find any loads for anything but cowboy rounds for Trail Boss and was wondering if anyone had experimented with it in a semi-auto weapon. My skepticism comes in wondering if you would get enough blowback to properly operate a semi-auto.

So I finally tried this and the results were impressive. I loaded small primer 45 acp cartridges with 5.8 grains of Trail Boss, using a 230 grain jacketed round nose projectile. I didn't have any JHP at the time and wanted to simulate them as much as possible. I fired these purposely without hearing protection. They fired in my Springfield ultra-compact 1911 flawlessly. I don't have a chronograph so I can't tell you projectile speed, but it seemed to be sufficient. I will be loading some JHP soon, hell I may even use them for SD.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top