JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another one of my peeves when driving. I'm on the freeway, driving along in the right lane. As I approach an on-ramp that is coming up on the right, cars joining freeway traffic need to merge with the existing cars on the freeway.

What often happens in these situations, it becomes a competition for the cars coming onto the freeway. They just have to speed up to the extent that they "beat" the nearest car to the merge that is already on the freeway. They can't simply try to match speed and dovetail in behind the car already on the road. Oh no, that would put them ONE CAR BEHIND someone.

The law in Wash. state is slippery on this one, in my opinion. The closest thing that I can find (and it is referred to online by ambulance chasing lawyers) is

RCW 46.61.205

But I can see this being challenged, due to the reference to "private road or driveway." A freeway onramp is not private.

Could this apply:

RCW 46.61.180

Which to me doesn't make any sense, because it requires vehicles on the LEFT to yield the right of way. With traffic merging onto the freeway, VEHICLES ON THE LEFT consist of the on-going traffic already on the roadway. Under some circumstances, this could cause serious slow-downs in on-going traffic.

I did find this online article: https://www.king5.com/article/news/...ably/281-ea82df4c-af5f-4ffd-aa45-323b99d73de1

Which is one WSP person's opinion, seems like. In "Lesson 2" she mentions the regular merge yellow sign. That the thicker line is the "boss" - traffic in that lane has the right of way and that it's the responsibility of traffic joining you from the thing line to merge over safely. I never knew this, if it is indeed fact or did the WSP officer just make it up. Because if you look at one of these signs, you can barely tell the one from the right side is actually smaller.

Here is another link, from the same TV station, that describes the confusion:

I've had a couple of experiences where I was driving along in the right lane on the freeway, maintaining my speed, and there was a car that was way back behind me along the on ramp. The driver of that car stepped on the gas, shot up to alongside me, then blew they horn at me when I wouldn't brake, slow down, and let them merge ahead of me. It wasn't a close thing, it wasn't iffy, they were WAY back there, it's just that they subconsciously wanted to make it a contest.

It would be nice if Wash. state legislators would codify this issue as it seems to be of interest to others beside myself.

Another one of my peeves when driving. I'm on the freeway, driving along in the right lane. As I approach an on-ramp that is coming up on the right, cars joining freeway traffic need to merge with the existing cars on the freeway.

What often happens in these situations, it becomes a competition for the cars coming onto the freeway. They just have to speed up to the extent that they "beat" the nearest car to the merge that is already on the freeway. They can't simply try to match speed and dovetail in behind the car already on the road. Oh no, that would put them ONE CAR BEHIND someone.

The law in Wash. state is slippery on this one, in my opinion. The closest thing that I can find (and it is referred to online by ambulance chasing lawyers) is

RCW 46.61.205

But I can see this being challenged, due to the reference to "private road or driveway." A freeway onramp is not private.

Could this apply:

RCW 46.61.180

Which to me doesn't make any sense, because it requires vehicles on the LEFT to yield the right of way. With traffic merging onto the freeway, VEHICLES ON THE LEFT consist of the on-going traffic already on the roadway. Under some circumstances, this could cause serious slow-downs in on-going traffic.

I did find this online article: https://www.king5.com/article/news/...ably/281-ea82df4c-af5f-4ffd-aa45-323b99d73de1

Which is one WSP person's opinion, seems like. In "Lesson 2" she mentions the regular merge yellow sign. That the thicker line is the "boss" - traffic in that lane has the right of way and that it's the responsibility of traffic joining you from the thing line to merge over safely. I never knew this, if it is indeed fact or did the WSP officer just make it up. Because if you look at one of these signs, you can barely tell the one from the right side is actually smaller.

Here is another link, from the same TV station, that describes the confusion:

I've had a couple of experiences where I was driving along in the right lane on the freeway, maintaining my speed, and there was a car that was way back behind me along the on ramp. The driver of that car stepped on the gas, shot up to alongside me, then blew they horn at me when I wouldn't brake, slow down, and let them merge ahead of me. It wasn't a close thing, it wasn't iffy, they were WAY back there, it's just that they subconsciously wanted to make it a contest.

It would be nice if Wash. state legislators would codify this issue as it seems to be of interest to others beside myself.
If there is a space behind to merge into then its just some asshat who has to get in front of one more car. When one does it to me I will just let off the gas and let them zoom on by since they are going faster than I wish to go so who cares. The state has a few completely unmarked cars that are used just for this kind of driver. They are random vehicles that until the lights come on look like any other vehicle. When I was working one job on one end of the county and another at the other end I spent a lot of freeway time. I saw one of these grab some moron many a time. You can bet the ticket they got was enough to make them wish they had not pulled that little stunt. Of course the problem is many get away with this kind of driving for a long time.

And in case people don't fail at this badly enough, lets put a stoplight halfway up the onramp to make sure nobody gets up to merging speed!!:mad::mad::mad:

Or the douche who takes the on ramp alllll the way to the end, then makes a sudden jerky, no signal low speed merge and everyone else has to apply their brakes

Or the douche who takes the on ramp alllll the way to the end, then makes a sudden jerky, no signal low speed merge and everyone else has to apply their brakes
Drivers ED. Teen boys in back, teen girl up front with teacher. Time to lean to merge. She was told, as you go up the ramp try to build up speed, slow at the end to check its safe and merge. Girl, gets to almost top, floors gas, slams on brakes, swerves left right in front of some guy who amazingly missed us. She did this all so fast the instructor did not react other than turning white as a sheet. Boys in back are laughing, girl driving is asking how did I do?

I'm not sure what pisses me off more, the retards that are incapable of merging in traffic or the ones that stop in the doorway to study their receipt at the store. I think they are the same braindead people.

Rarer but most obnoxious to me are ones who drive up the ramp, parallel to your car the whole time, and merge right into you when the lane ends. Somehow, they expect you to get out of their way. Beiotch, I'm already here. You're the one merging. Speed up or slow down but don't just drive into my door.

Long ago, when I was learning to drive, the state pamphlet said that as you approach an onramp, if you're in the slow lane, don't change lanes and don't change speed. Changing lanes creates traffic issues (and more wrecks). Changing speed makes it confusing for those merging. If you are the one merging, accelerate smoothly up the ramp. Find the safest spot to take and adjust your acceleration to take that space.

Merging should be in the driving test, and it should be difficult.

Rarer but most obnoxious to me are ones who drive up the ramp, parallel to your car the whole time, and merge right into you when the lane ends. Somehow, they expect you to get out of their way. Beiotch, I'm already here. You're the one merging. Speed up or slow down but don't just drive into my door.

Long ago, when I was learning to drive, the state pamphlet said that as you approach an onramp, if you're in the slow lane, don't change lanes and don't change speed. Changing lanes creates traffic issues (and more wrecks). Changing speed makes it confusing for those merging. If you are the one merging, accelerate smoothly up the ramp. Find the safest spot to take and adjust your acceleration to take that space.

Merging should be in the driving test, and it should be difficult.
I am in complete agreement with you, the guy already on the highway should have the right of way. It's pretty simple to me.

None of the above seems to have occurred to Wash. state legislators over the years. They haven't bothered to codify where responsibility lies. Yet it is a well known issue.

There is nothing in the Wash. DOL pamphlet about this subject. Not long ago, there was legislation introduced to require the subject to be covered in driver's education. But not to the extent that it would be spelled out in law!

That bit on one of the links in my OP having to do with the yellow merge signs, I think the WSP officer made that up. There is no reference to it anywhere the DOL driver's pamphlet. Further, the WSDOT Manual M51-2 governs these things. Which in the case of warning signs, defers to the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices, published by the Federal Highway Administration. Specifically, Ch. 2C-40. The merging arrow used for freeway onramps, W4-1, does show the wider arrow coming from the left, representing existing highway travel. The (slightly) narrower arrow coming from the right represents the onramp. Which is only logical, as the onramp is typically narrower than the highway it is merging onto. BUT nowhere can I find a reference that states the difference in sizes as depicted on the signs represents who has the right of way. Surely not in the RCW, which as stated doesn't really address the whole issue of merging.

While I agree the individual on the freeway has the right-of-way, unless the freeway driver's exit is very near, I would suggest that courtesy and safety would be to move left if possible.

Last Edited:
Most of the problems I run into are people driving way too slow from the merge lane. You need to get up freeway speed while you're still on the ramp, guys.

Most of the problems I run into are people driving way too slow from the merge lane. You need to get up freeway speed while you're still on the ramp, guys.
YEP! Many do not seem to "get" the point of the ramp on most highways is just for that reason. To allow the driver trying to merge time to get close to the speed the flow of traffic is going so they do not merge in front of someone going 60, while they are going 20.
Couple of the towns here have Round About's that are often quite the thrill although at slow speed. I have to go through one a lot that's two lanes and now and then have had to jump on the brakes to miss some moron who just drives strait in, starring out the windshield, with out ever looking to see if anyone is there. :eek:

Man... How old are you Guy's?

Go ahead and merge in front of me as long as I don't have to hit the brakes :D
I could care less if someone merges in front of me. I do care if I am going 60 and they "merge" in front of me going 20. Pretty sure that was the problem everyone has with this. Either "merging" right in front of the other vehicle at FAR slower speed or trying to "merge" into the passenger side door of another vehicle as they stare out the windshield with their phone to their ear seeing nothing. I have come a paint job away from nailing someone from the right lane when I was one over to the left because they had to suddenly try to avoid the moron staring at their phone as they moved over. Much as many seem to think it works, two vehicles really can not share the same space at the same time, at least not yet. Maybe they will come up with some kind of tech to make this happen later. :D

I could care less if someone merges in front of me. I do care if I am going 60 and they "merge" in front of me going 20. Pretty sure that was the problem everyone has with this. Either "merging" right in front of the other vehicle at FAR slower speed or trying to "merge" into the passenger side door of another vehicle as they stare out the windshield with their phone to their ear seeing nothing. I have come a paint job away from nailing someone from the right lane when I was one over to the left because they had to suddenly try to avoid the moron staring at their phone as they moved over. Much as many seem to think it works, two vehicles really can not share the same space at the same time, at least not yet. Maybe they will come up with some kind of tech to make this happen later. :D
The All New Chevrolet Quantum. :)

I merge at the speed of traffic or a bit faster if there's enough of the ramp for me to see more of what's going on.

In the truck? Opening is an opening. Personally, I try to merge left when I see people merging cause I don't trust them to not merge at 35 MPH.

LOL, hey why not. They made a car that can park itself for those who found parking to be beyond what they were capable of. So now a car that can really just merge into the same space as other cars for those who this too is beyond ability. :s0140:
Parallel parking? We park in a parallel dimension! No waiting, no fees, very low entropy and almost no crime.

*Not responsible for incidental exposure to gamma radiation, black holes or the Galactic Overlord.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews