JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a Traeger yesterday and I need to get some pellets for it now. Does anyone have a certain place they like to go? Are there better pellets out there besides the Traeger brand and what should I expect to pay per bag? Please help a Traeger newb out. Also what flavor is your favorite and do you switch up flavors for different meats?

The cheapest place I have found is a shop in Donald, OR, GK Machine. They are a production fabrication shop that used to help Traeger make their grills way back when, and they still carry the entire line of Traeger stuff. I think the bags of pellets there are only $7-8, and I have seen them up to $18 other places. They also have all the covers and accessories you may need at great prices also.

I cook mainly with mesquite for general cooking. But I have done some of the flavored ones for a pork shoulder that turned out delicious.

Bear Mountain pellets are generally $10 for 20lb bag. Available at Cash and Carry and other places.

If you search craigslist you will find others that have pellets available. I get mine (Green Mountain) by the golf course on I5 (Langdon Farms). Get 28lb of oak based pellets for $14. I usually buy 5 bgs at a time.

BTW, be careful with the flavored Traeger pellets. Some of them are flavored with oils and not the wood itself.
Also, bags of pellets (traeger or otherwise) are generall 75% base wood and 25% flavored. This will change a little but most of the time this is true. Oak and fir are probably biggest base woods.

Last Edited:
Well I stopped at coastal farm in Oregon City on my way home tonight. I bought a 28# bag of green mountain pellets for the low price of 19.99 lol, won't be buying from there again. In all fairness I knew how much they were and I was just in a hurry to get home. From the sounds of it I'll be making a trip out to Donald to grab a few bags.

I cooked some chicken breast tonight with a Memphis rub and some doctored up sweet baby rays and it turned out great. I can't wait to really let something sit on smoke for hours at a time.

Thank you very one for the info on where to get good buys on pellets.

So my next question is what's you fav thing to cook on a smoker and what kind of methods do you use ( rubs, sauce, ect )

Bear Mountain makes hardwood pellets? the ones I burn in my pellet stove are Pine and fir. Not sure I would want that for cooking.

Oh never mind just checked their web site and I see they do have a BBq pellet. NEVER MIND They also mention some Costcos are carrying them.

Marion Ag. Farm Store in St. Paul has them for about $9.90! The trick is this though...
Instead of driving way out to St. Paul, most of the big farm stores like Coastal and Wilco "PRICE MATCH". But you have to ask. So call Marian Ag. see what there price is...$9.90'sh, then go to your closest farm store and tell them the price. They will call and verify and you will get the discount without the drive to B.F.E.

I usually get the bear mtn. ones at cash and carry. I think they are about $10.

My favorite thing to cook on the Traeger......... Papa Murphy's pizza! For real, give it a shot.

I've had Papa Murphy's pizza done on the Traeger and it was awesome, I definitely plan on doing that quite a bit. I think the taco pizza turns out the best.

Since buying my GMG pellet grill I have done everything from meat to veggies to dessert. I did a blueberry cobbler on it and turned out great. For those of you that are looking for pellet grill info I would really suggest pelletheads.com. Great site with good people and info about grills.....gee sounds alot like northwestfirearms for shooting info... :)

I do Pizzas with flour tortillas, pizza sauce, Mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, and sun dried tomatoes. Put a pizza stone in the treager and their done in 5 minutes. Stolen idea from a bar in California.

I use Hickory for almost everything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads