JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've recently gotten into solo backpacking and was considering bringing my uberti reproduction 1858 Remington revolver with me. I have a conversion cylinder for it which allows me to load cartridges but only cowboy loads. I understand that it is far from the ideal choice for woods carry but I cannot purchase a legal handgun so this is all I've got. Would bringing it along be wise despite the reduced ability or just foolish?
96CF73F5-E3A8-451C-BBFD-A522F78E0937.jpeg

With the little info provided, it sounds as if you are not permitted to be in possession of a firearm and skirting around it with a centerfire cylinder on a blackpowder pistol isn't at all wise,.

Carrying concealed in a backpack, an even worse idea.

Sell it and get a good bushcraft knife. :D
I can be in possession just can't buy pistols thanks to our lovely laws. Was planning on open carry as well since I prefer backpacking in national parks

That is correct, I'm simply not old enough to buy a modern pistol
I would probably NOT carry it. When I was 20, I had a pistol that was gifted to me, and it came up in a traffic stop. Long story short, it caused a lot of headache and was a pain to keep the officers from taking it. Even if you are within the law, skirting it can cause you more problems than it is worth. Get some bear spray.

I am as Washington law doesn't prevent me from owning a pistol simply from purchasing one. And putting the conversion cylinder in it counts as making a pistol not buying one
That makes more sense if you are under 21. In that case... open carry, if permitted, should be just fine. 45LC is plenty decent if you are concerned about large predators, but you'll likely have more practical use of a 22 in a solo backpacking type situation.

I would probably NOT carry it. When I was 20, I had a pistol that was gifted to me, and it came up in a traffic stop. Long story short, it caused a lot of headache and was a pain to keep the officers from taking it. Even if you are within the law, skirting it can cause you more problems than it is worth. Get some bear spray.
I was looking at bear spray as an alternative just wanted to see if anyone on here had any other thoughts

Apologies for immediately assuming the worst from your OP. I think we aren't used to seeing young bloods around on these old fart legacy forums.

Our bad, and you are most welcome!

The usual advice is that something is better than nothing.

I say carry it, AND bear spray. The biggest danger in the woods is two-legged critters. I always carried a Ruger Bearcat .22lr handgun on my belt when backpacking. Obviously not a good bear gun.

I've recently gotten into solo backpacking and was considering bringing my uberti reproduction 1858 Remington revolver with me. I have a conversion cylinder for it which allows me to load cartridges but only cowboy loads. I understand that it is far from the ideal choice for woods carry but I cannot purchase a legal handgun so this is all I've got. Would bringing it along be wise despite the reduced ability or just foolish?
View attachment 1202706
Good for you! I didn't get into solo backpacking trips until my early 30's but now have dozens under my belt.

I much prefer a fierarm while out alone mabie look into a single shot shotgun or a 22 rifle, honoistly bear and big cougar don't give a crap about you in our AO.

Good for you! I didn't get into solo backpacking trips until my early 30's but now have dozens under my belt.

I much prefer a fierarm while out alone mabie look into a single shot shotgun or a 22 rifle, honoistly bear and big cougar don't give a crap about you in our AO.
Normally that's true…. My buddy was stocked by a cougar and he ended up shooting it. Luckily for him he had something bigger than a .22LR. It's now mounted on his wall. This took place in Tillamook last year. Just cause it normally doesn't happen doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for it.

Normally that's true…. My buddy was stocked by a cougar and he ended up shooting it. Luckily for him he had something bigger than a .22LR. It's now mounted on his wall. This took place in Tillamook last year. Just cause it normally doesn't happen doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for it.
Sure, there are always exceptions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads