JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_1117.JPG So I saw this on the hodgdon website and was kinda confused about it.just curious if someone could shed some light on it in for me.is it just a mistake because the pressure is super low compared to all the other loads using rifle powder.

Underloading for reloaders is a controversial subject. There are lots of rumors about delayed detonations, blown up guns, etc. Check out the subject carefully prior to making a decision to try one.

I've done some experimenting with low recoil loads in .308... but never less than 2/3 of the case capacity. Even so, I used Dacron to hold the powder to the rear of the cartridge. But loads of loaders don't like using Dacron. I've tried TP but got inconsistent results.

Anyway, 3gr in a case the can hold about 25gr depending on the powder. What holds the powder against the primer to guard against flashover as the primer flash burns the top layer of powder? Or detonates the entire charge at once, or reverse detonates the charge, or fails to detonate the charge immediately?

Modern powders are not black powder... there is a lot of science around what happens inside the cartridge. Just because they say you can do it doesn't mean you should. Or does it?

Underloading for reloaders is a controversial subject. There are lots of rumors about delayed detonations, blown up guns, etc. Check out the subject carefully prior to making a decision to try one.

I've done some experimenting with low recoil loads in .308... but never less than 2/3 of the case capacity. Even so, I used Dacron to hold the powder to the rear of the cartridge. But loads of loaders don't like using Dacron. I've tried TP but got inconsistent results.

Anyway, 3gr in a case the can hold about 25gr depending on the powder. What holds the powder against the primer to guard against flashover as the primer flash burns the top layer of powder? Or detonates the entire charge at once, or reverse detonates the charge, or fails to detonate the charge immediately?

Modern powders are not black powder... there is a lot of science around what happens inside the cartridge. Just because they say you can do it doesn't mean you should. Or does it?

I've used some pretty light loads, I'll have to check the load density but I use 2400 and unique in .30-30 with round balls. About the same amount of powder. From what I have e read using a filler in a bottleneck case can be dangerous.

The worst I've seen happen is powder not igniting, usually a firm crimp will solve that.

I've used some pretty light loads, I'll have to check the load density but I use 2400 and unique in .30-30 with round balls. About the same amount of powder. From what I have e read using a filler in a bottleneck case can be dangerous.

The worst I've seen happen is powder not igniting, usually a firm crimp will solve that.

Yeah, that's a whole different thing. I use round ball and BP in my .308 but it's really filthy so quit. Was kinda fun to hear it go "plut" tho. Could almost see the ball in flight. :D

The pressure listed in the OP's example is so low... I'm just saying to check out all the info and especially don't get to thinking you can do that with any cartridge w/o special knowledge.

.is it just a mistake because the pressure is super low compared to all the other loads using rifle powder.
Yea, not only is the pressure super low, but so is the powder charge and velocity. It's similar to the loads shown to its left and right.. 4gr TB and 3.2gr Clays.
I and generations of shooters have used small charges of Red Dot in cases like the 30-06 for low velocity practice/game loads.. it is not position sensitive and requires no filler.

Yeah it's a reduced loading for whatever reason. I have a reduced load I like for 22-250 that uses SR4759. It's nice because if I want to shoot .22 mag up to 22 hornet velocities I can mimimick those ballistics without actually having that gun. Saves on the barrel (almost no heat) for plinking or shooting small critters at short distances. A lot quieter and surprisingly accurate if you're willing to tinker with a bolt gun.

I am currently shooting 10 gr of Unique with the 100 gr Speer 'Plinker' or the 110 gr JHP in my 30-30 Winchesters and this is an incredibly accurate combination. I have an old Lyman manual that lists several reduced loads for many common calibers. I don't know why modern manuals do not show reduced rifle load data - unless some do and I have not seen it.

I have an old Lyman manual that lists several reduced loads for many common calibers. I don't know why modern manuals do not show reduced rifle load data - unless some do and I have not seen it.

I haven't seen it in any recent loading manual, either. I guess it's become a lost art.

But I'm part of the reason. I load on the hot end of the data after figuring out my stuff is safe.
However, I have a grandson that is becoming a shooter and I think that I'll be working up loads as he progresses just to make things easier for him.

Anyone remember shooting a Winchester 94 in 30 WCF for the first time? It's not a soft recoiling rifle for the uninitiated. These days I find it recoiling slightly more than a 22, but I remember the day when it felt like being kicked by a horse. I was only 11 or 12 then. My stepson was being watched by his uncle the first time he shot a Marlin 336 in 30-30. He wasn't expecting anything and ended up with a broken tooth. (serves him right, but that's another loooooong story!)

I am currently shooting 10 gr of Unique with the 100 gr Speer 'Plinker' or the 110 gr JHP in my 30-30 Winchesters and this is an incredibly accurate combination. I have an old Lyman manual that lists several reduced loads for many common calibers. I don't know why modern manuals do not show reduced rifle load data - unless some do and I have not seen it.
The Lyman 49th has a few in certain calibers. I think there are a lot of reloaders trying Trailboss for lower power loads. I've got some loaded up for my 22-250 but haven't got out to try it yet.

Find a different powder.

I loaded some 4227 as subsonics and had my fun while running rounds through the chronograph. TG is too fast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top