JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you know it's out of spec, I have a 1911 manual with a parts diagram with measurements: I would need to put some calipers on it see the size though if it's the frame or the part. Also I know a lot of budget 1911 have improper extractor tension seems to be a common problem including Springfield armory.
See the attached pic: The original Tisas mainspring housing is on the left, the Ed Brown Drop-in Maxi-Well BL/25 LPI from Brownell's on the right. Notice the OEM part is larger and the ledge which captures the grip safety is further away from the frame. When inserting the drop-in mainspring housing into the Tisas, the grip safety is compressed enough by the mainspring housing that the grip safety is continuously engaged. I've used the same drop-in mainspring housing in my other 1911 without any issues.

I admit my sample size of two is limited, and I'm also operating under the impression that the Ed Brown part is closer to spec. My mileage in this scenario is 1 out of 2 :(

TisasMainspringHousing.jpg

First outing today with the
1911 Carry SS45, Semi-Auto Pistol 4.25" Barrel, 45 ACP, 8 Round - Stainless Steel.

The good

Fired 110 rounds with 1 failure to feed.
230 gr ball
50 Winchester
50 Norma
10 Blazer

Is plenty accurate
Fun to shoot with light recoil
Easy to hand load the mags, even the 8th round

The Bad
Upon insertion of a fresh mag and depressing the slide release that first round will not chamber just pushes straight forward and into the bottom of feed ramp. Tried 7 round loads and same thing.

The way to make that first round load is A. hit the bottom of the mag with my palm or B. hold pressure on the bottom of mag while depressing the mag release.

Not a big deal, I would trust it in a carry situation as long as one was in the chamber.
I like to tinker so may mess with the mags or try a couple of different brands.

Shooting in the sunshine while standing in 8" of snow March 14th did not suck.

Stay tuned.

1911 Carry SS45, Semi-Auto Pistol 4.25" Barrel, 45 ACP, 8 Round - Stainless Steel.

The good
230 gr ball
50 Winchester
50 Norma
10 Blazer

Is plenty accurate

The Bad
Upon insertion of a fresh mag and depressing the slide release that first round will not chamber just pushes straight forward and into the bottom of feed ramp. Tried 7 round loads and same thing.

The way to make that first round load is A. hit the bottom of the mag with my palm or B. hold pressure on the bottom of mag while depressing the mag release.

Not a big deal, I would trust it in a carry situation as long as one was in the chamber.

Stay tuned.
Mags might need adjusting or just different mags. Polishing the feed ramp to a mirror finish won't hurt none either…. A felt tip on a Dremel with some Flitz or Mothers Mag polish will do the trick. Just want a smooth, slick surface.

The good
230 gr ball
50 Winchester
50 Norma
10 Blazer

Is plenty accurate

The Bad

Stay tuned.
That's the Tisas's greatest weakness: The magazine it comes with!
The 'factory' magazine isn't actually produced by Tisas. All 3 of my OEM Tisas magazines had problems. Even after replacing the follower with the split GI type with the tit on it, the follower would bump the magazine release threw the hole and drop the magazine.

Fortunately the Tisas's magazine problem is easy to fix: Buy a new quality magazine for it. I use exclusively Colt or Checkmate, but have heard any 1911 magazine of known high quality will work.

You could equip a 3rd world army with Tisas's with what you probably spent on those 3 1911s.
Not really. The only one I purchased is the S&W version, and it cost me a whopping $465 used. The other two I inherited, along with an Ace .22 Conversion for the '64 Colt, and a bunch of photographs and trophies with the Camp Perry 1943 1911A1.

Something about the price just leads me to believe it's got at least some of a tuna can mixed into it's metallurgy. Is there a problem? Maybe not. Does my mind believe it's a lesser gun due to the price alone? Yes. That's all I'm saying.
Likely they're less expensive simply because labor costs are much lower than US or other EU countries.

Thank you for the replies, this is most helpful.

I cleaned the gun today and experimented a little, freshly lubed I tried the Blazer and Winchester ammo again to see if slide would chamber that first round, it did with both brands multiple times.

Then I removed all oil from the feed ramp and the Winchester still chambers first round every time while the Blazer would not.

I did notice that Winchester has a nice rounded (smooth) crimp at the top of the case, Blazer and Norma have a sharp edge to the brass.

I went ahead and ordered two Colt brand mags.

Much faster and easier to do the take down the second time around.

Thank you for the replies, this is most helpful.

I cleaned the gun today and experimented a little, freshly lubed I tried the Blazer and Winchester ammo again to see if slide would chamber that first round, it did with both brands multiple times.

Then I removed all oil from the feed ramp and the Winchester still chambers first round every time while the Blazer would not.

I did notice that Winchester has a nice rounded (smooth) crimp at the top of the case, Blazer and Norma have a sharp edge to the brass.

I went ahead and ordered two Colt brand mags.

Much faster and easier to do the take down the second time around.
I doubt you have any problems when you get the new mags it's all about the geometry of where the round comes into the chamber. They cheap out on the mags and the grips if anything but the rest of the firearm is very solid if they're going to cheap out anywhere that's where I'd rather have them do it.

Just received two Colt mags from gunmagwarehouse, fast shipping.

They fit much tighter (less up and down slop) than the factory Mec-Gar.

Can't wait to try them out.

Was excited to get a Wilson Combat 8 round mag in the mail today.
It works worse than the factory supplied Mec Gar mags.

Stick with colt brand.

Guess Tisas figured out the magazine problem.
My new 1911 came with Check Mate magazines. GTG from the start.
Added a few more Springfield branded Check Mates'.
FWIW, Colt OEM mags are generally Check Mate (C) or Metalform (M)

Last Edited:
FWIW, Colt OEM mags are generally Check Mate (C) or Metalform (M)
Both work for me in multiple 1911s, tisas included.
But I like the Checkmates due to their follower with the 'tit' on it. Holds that last round in place to prevent a possible double feed with those last 2 rounds.
(edit) Referring to the 45 auto magazines. 9mm is a different beast.

Throwing another thumbs up in here for Tisas 1911s. I bought one earlier this year and have taken it to the range about a half dozen times. It has run flawlessly and is so easy to hit what I aim at. I absolutely love it and it only cost me about $400.

I also bought one of their PX9 polymer frame 9mm pistols last fall because they were on sale for only $280. That pistol is awesome! There are no parts available other than mags, so that may be an issue eventually. But it's just a super fun range gun. So both of my Tisas guns are great, especially for their low price.

Has anyone owned one of these? If so, any good or bad comments about them?
I own a few 1911 Colt, Remington, and S&W built .45's, and looking to buy a compact 1911 style .45. I found these Tisas in a 4" barreled compact with a lot of nice custom features at Bud's Gun Shop for $370, and thought it would make a great compact carry gun. They're presently out of stock, so I put my name on their email list. Just looking for input while I wait to see when one comes in.

View attachment 656196
Mine is all steel but they have them with lightweight lowers as well. The gun is very well made.

I like mine but the factory mec gar mags barely work, Colt mags work well and I purchased a Dan Wesson mag and that one does not work at all.

I purchase the 1911 "Tank Commander" (4.25" barrel).
First impression is that the recoil spring is really "heavy"; racking the slide is upper body exercise!
Also, as mentioned earlier, the provided mags seem cheap; they don't hold the slide back on empty and the follower sticks out the front when empty.
Otherwise I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

Tisas 1911 (resized).jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top