JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stocking Stuffer...
22BA6AE_00.jpg

Save up your money and buy a M1 Garand. Then buy up one of the surplus ammo cans full of M2 ball ammo. Get you a couple hand fulls of clips and head out to the range. Set up a target at 100 yards and shoot at it a 100 times with the M1 Garand and I assure you the recoil you feel from a .223 / 5.56 AR-15 will never bother you again LOL.

From an idiot that once threw 220 rounds of M2 out the barrel of his Garand as fast as I could load it. And it was all on clips when I started.

I have to agree with this. Or buy an M14, FAL, or even an old Winchester 30-30. After practicing with some old-school, manly rifles, you won't even feel the tiny recoil impulse or the little 5.56mm. :)

No offense intended towards the OP. Everyone has to start somewhere, and some things take some getting used to. I started with a .22 rifle, then progressed immediately to a bolt-action 30-06, which I shot for many years. I remember when I bought my M1 Carbine, long ago when I was in high school. I loved it because it was such a light weight, fast and easy shooting little rifle. One day I let a friend shoot it. He'd never shot anything but .22lr, and after a couple shots of .30 carbine, he rubbed his shoulder and started complaining about the kick. Looking back, I feel bad for having laughed at him.

I agree with the advice of just using a simple flash hider, and using good hearing protection, but ultimately the most effective thing to do is to just practice and get used to it. Not liking the blast and recoil impulse doesn't make you a wimp, it just means it's more than you were expecting. Once you get used to it you won't even feel it. I promise. :)

... Not from, "Recoil", but from the sharp crack it makes when firing. I've had to double up on my ear
protection. I've even had to leave my local indoor range on occasion, due to the muzzle blast, (shock wave) from an AR
shooting alongside me.

If its the sharp crack that's bothering the OP then buy a 300 blk upper, apply for a suppressor and shoot sub-sonic ammo. That would eliminate the doppler effect.

I say when it comes to gun problems, throw more money at it.

The first time I heard a 16" AR-15 get shot, I thought it was nuts. Imagine having to shoot that inside your house?

This rifle should have a 20" barrel. Learn first to shoot reduced loads if you can find them anywhere. The recoil of an AR is inconsequential; it's probably the muzzle blast that is really bothering you.

It occurs to me that your flash hider may be increasing the blast as well. Take it off, see if it helps.

Make sure you can shoot with a .22LR rifle first. No point going to the AR until you have some grounding in the basics and can put rounds on target.

Last Edited:
When I was in Basic, my drill instructor (to show those who had little to no experience with firearms that there was nothing to fear) put the buttstock of a M-16 on his crotch and let loose 30 rounds on rock and roll...

You're shooting little more than an oversized .22 -- nothing to fear my friend.

When I was in Basic, my drill instructor (to show those who had little to no experience with firearms that there was nothing to fear) put the buttstock of a M-16 on his crotch and let loose 30 rounds on rock and roll...

You're shooting little more than an oversized .22 -- nothing to fear my friend.

Funny that you mention a time in basic training that proved encouraging.
I laughed when our instructor held up at 5.56 cartridge, he also held up a 30-06 next to it for comparison. I blurted out that the large cartridge was best IMHO for killing the enemy and the small one was best suited for squirrel hunting, laughter ensued and I got to hold up an M1 rifle above my head for the remainder of the class...:eek::eek::eek:

The fact that the word "explosiveness" was used in the title meant I just had to read this...

in addition to what has been shared already, it's important to note that linear compensators actually direct muzzle blast (explosiveness) away from the shooter which is why I use Black River Tactical's Covert Comp on my bolt action hunting rifle.

When I was clearing post in January 1964, they wanted me to go to the range with the new M14.
We were still using the M1 Garand.
I have never shot the M14, to date.
I have shot Sig MPX and Zenith 9 mm carbines/pistols and none of them have much recoil.
The Zenith, which is an MP5 clone, is a delight to shoot, even at an indoor range.
Good hearing protection is a necessity.

Got to page 4 without reading the whole thread.

Quick summary.

New guy, "Hey guys can I get some advice to how and reduce muzzle concussion as well as recoil on my AR15."

NWFA community, "Don't be a pussy."

Nice everyone, nice...

@9mm guy I'd ask where do your empties land? If I'm on the right track here....About 4:00 o-clock and 4'-6' away? If so I'm thinking that gun is shooting just the way it is supposed to? Have you ever shot an AK 47? I'm pretty wuss-like when it comes to recoil, but the AK47 recoil is heavier than the AR but nothing to me. I also find the report sharper and louder that the report on the AK47.

I still want to know where the spent brass lands? If that rifle is, for some reason, recoiling more than it should the brass ejecting will (should?) show how the rifle is running. Or not, maybe.:s0158:

Got to page 4 without reading the whole thread.

Quick summary.

New guy, "Hey guys can I get some advice to how and reduce muzzle concussion as well as recoil on my AR15."

NWFA community, "Don't be a pussy."

Nice everyone, nice...

I must have missed the part where someone on this thread called any one a "pussy" As in " Don't be a pussy" Or "Nut up ya' big pussy" Or? Geeze. Somebody! Quick, call me a pussy for using a shoulder pad when I shoot my rifles! So I can get all upset!

WTH, is everybody getting so sensitive now?

There's either something wrong w your gun (over-gassed) or else there's a disconnect between you and your firearm.

The 20" M16s I used in the Marine Corps were far less violent (to the user) than the 16 or 18 inch versions I use now, noticeably so. But a properly functioning AR shouldn't be punishing to shoot... it's a dang pussycat.

Try a heavier buffer, they're relatively cheap. Maybe sell or trade for a rifle (vs a carbine).

You say you have experience w shotguns which recoil waay harder than an AR so I have to think that the problem is w the AR.

I must have missed the part where someone on this thread called any one a "pussy" As in " Don't be a pussy" Or "Nut up ya' big pussy"...
Well, it was cast as the "Quick Summary"....

So quick, in fact, that it skipped-over the dozen or more posts that posited helpful suggestions and went straight to branding the entire board as toxically masculine gun-snobs.

There... see how quick that was? As a bonus, it offered 0 help to the OP.

I think the OP have been given more than enough info to digest and now has a better understanding of the options available to him. Probably best to close this thread before it starts to really go sideways.....;)

Uh oh, I caused a stir.

You guys make me laugh.

Out of the four pages if you read them. You will see mostly posts about how other guns have more recoil. How AR15s are not that bad. Yes the phrase "Don't be a pussy" was actually posted. Followed by "Just Kidding" of coarse, you know to show that it was a joke...

Yes, there are a few posts that actually give advice, mine was one of them.

I really don't care either way, just ironic to me sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top