JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I apologize if it seems like I'm posting frequent entries; I just have lots of questions as a beginner to the AR platform. I just posted something that got a lot of responses to my pleasant surprise. I'm grateful for all the people who read and gave me their experienced input. And so I have another question which is above.

I got into firearms about 5 years ago and have almost exclusively handled 9mm handguns. I just built my first AR-15 from an Aero Lower and a Palmetto State Armory rifle kit for the .223/5.56. It was a fun and gratifying process to build it, but I was surprised the level of explosion and recoil of this rifle when I test fired it at the range. (I fired Federal American Eagle 5.56 green tipped ammo from Walmart) The amount of explosiveness was so much that I was actually quite uncomfortable. I know that makes me sound like a wimp or a wuss, but that's the truth. I own and have fired 12 gauge shotgun and I feel like the AR has much more firepower, loudness, and recoil than the shotgun. Maybe I'm being oversensitive and inaccurate (and I have no issues if people in this forum saying so, I'm difficult to offend); but the AR explosiveness is to the point where I wonder if this platform isn't for me and whether I should just sell this thing. And frankly, that seems ridiculous since I just bought it and I'm sure I'll give it more of a chance to get used to it. But no luck so far.

As I began doing YouTube research on AR's for home defense & AR pistols etc., I've seen tons of video of people firing AR's on the YouTube videos. What I noticed was how little recoil there was for those in the video firing their ARs compared to my experience. It's to a point where I almost wonder if there's something wrong with my AR or if I built it incorrectly.

And so that long explanation leads to my question: what tips do you all have for reducing the recoil and explosiveness of an AR? Maybe that's what the people in the YouTube video did? Or is it not worth the money it will cost? Or it will never be reduced to the level that I'll be comfortable with? But I wanted to explore all options. I'm not talking about installing a silencer or suppressor, but I thought people mentioned something about a different muzzle or compensator in the previous thread; or a recoil damper or spring or buffer kit??? Thanks in advance for your answers.

PSA uses massive gas ports on their barrels which makes them blasty. I properly ported barrel with a mid-length gas system and an A5 RE with A5H2 or A5H3 buffer make a very smooth shooter ever with a standard A2 FH.

Adding weight will help, but that is a band-aid approach to the real issue, IMO.

I have a DPMS Levang Compensator on a 16" barrel and it does a good job of projecting the sound straight ahead and also reduces the felt recoil.
I don't shoot that AR very much, as I primarily shoot suppressed with all of my other firearms.
They're not very expensive and are easy to install.
Here's a short video showing one in use.

I have a DPMS Levang Compensator on a 16" barrel and it does a good job of projecting the sound straight ahead and also reduces the felt recoil.
I don't shoot that AR very much, as I primarily shoot suppressed with all of my other firearms.
They're not very expensive and are easy to install.
Here's a short video showing one in use.

Put a magnet on that gas block, I'm betting it is aluminum, if it is you should replace it and dimple the barrel while you're at it.

Even a linear compensator would help with the blast. I'm wondering if the op has the wrong buffer weight or spring in there as well. Are the gas ports properly lined up? Generally most AR15 rifles have very minimal kick, when set up properly..

Don't waste a lot of money on fancy muzzle devices and whatnot.

Get a cheap forward device. Usually just a steel cone that helps forward the blast away from the shooter.

As for recoil, go online and find an inexpensive H2 or H3 buffer and swap it out. Chances are with the Palmetto kit you have a simple car one buffer which is the cheapest and lightest buffer made Hence why Palmetto puts them in all their kits.

Also, the terminology for the explosiveness is "concussion". That's the term for the muzzle blast from expanding gases exiting the barrel after the bullet.

I would check the barrel gas port size, should be in the neighborhood of .077"

If its oversized, Black River Tactical makes a kit to reduce the size...or use a different barrel.

One can try a H2 or H3 buffer with a Sprinco Blue spring...or go with the A5 system as has been mentioned. It'll flatten out overall muzzle rise and recoil straight back.

I had this issue with my first rifle with recoil. Everyone e always said how light AR recoil is. I thought I was a wimp or just not used to it until I tried a friends basic M&P and it was super light compared to mine.

I had a spikes buffer and other decent stuff

I made one switch that helped recoil, went to a Geissele buffer and spring. Made a major difference.

223/556 recoil is insignificant, bolt guns chambered in it, even very light bolt guns have very low recoil.

AR15s can have significant "felt" recoil due to overgassed cycling systems.

Manufacturers like Palmetto overgas on purpose to ensure reliability over anything else.

Overgassed guns throw the BCG rearward violently, compared to a more refined and tuned gun. The recoil felt on ARs is the bolt slamming rearward more than the projectile and gases leaving the barrel.

Less gas, via a tuneable or adjustable gas block, different springs, and more weight added to the buffer or carrier is all you can do to slow down the rearward momentum of the cycling system.

However, it's a fine line to mess around with, go to far in the other direction, your gun starts short stroking and you'll have feeding and cycling issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top