JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I gotta chime in here as I to (like Brutas) am dang near hairless anymore & it took the old guy (bless his heart cause he passed away last year) a while to cut mine. He liked to talk about guns, fishing and God which I agree those are worthy of a good conversations and he knew when I pulled out my hearing aid I didn't hear ch!t.
It cost $12 for an adult cut but he only charged me $10 so I tipped him $5 each time, make sense?
I miss him, now I just feel so bad that I just buzz my hair to the skull (what I have left) in the spring right on through till the fall.:p
That was one barber shop I wanted to be a regular at, like on Mayberry, I'd have fit in nicely.....

Hell no!!
If you an idiot and make $7 but have great service then I'll help you out.

If you an idiot and you make $15 your don't need the tip. But if you give me bad service the manager will be getting an ear full.

Getting paid more is the pay off for working hard, learning more, or being able to obtain new skills.

You haven't met the girl that cuts my hair.
Young and beautiful, and I swear I'm getting a lap dance from her as she bumps and grinds her way around the chair with her scissors and comb.
I saw an 80 year old guy give her a $20.00 tip, and he walked in with only three or four grey hairs on top.
So where is this place? You know.. So I can get a good haircut.. ;)

I tip my servers and hair stylist, but not some of the people you guys have mentioned. It gives me ideas that I need to start tipping more people than I do. I tip servers at least 20 percent, but if they are real good I'll tip up to 100 or 200 percent. I figure it makes their day.

We do tip for sit-down style meals where we have a server. We
When it's deserved, I tip really well. Even in places that ya normally don't tip.

When it's not deserved at all, I tip anyway, at the minimun percentage. Ya just never know when I'll have to return to a place, and I don't want them spitting in my food.

What I really don't like, but I do it anyway, is pre-tipping... tipping before the service is received. Like at the car wash in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Oregon City. The car wash guys want their tip before they even start scrubbing. They even acknowledge the tip and yell 1-dollar, two-dollar, 5-dollar tip! But the scrubbers give me the same mediocre service as if I'd not tipped them at all. For a 5-dollar tip, I'd expect maybe just a little better scrub job on my hubcaps, or the rear of the vehicle where the machine doesn't get. But I just keep hoping that some day these monkeys will figure it out and give a little more service for the tip they've received. I'm still waiting.

WAYNO.

You tip at that car wash? I didn't even know people tipped those guys!

We tip at sit down style restaurants, and I'm a decent tipper (usually 20%, sometimes more), but if I get crappy service or a nasty attitude, my tip will reflect that. I don't believe in rewarding poor behavior. As for other tipping, I'll tip a barber, a sky cap or certain other folks that traditionally get tipped. Other than that, I tend to avoid things like tip jars at a place where they just poured coffee in a cup. I worked service jobs growing up, but never at places where people routinely tip, so I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing. But I understand having to make a living and I don't want to be too much of a tightwad about it.

I've heard in some countries (I think I heard Australia?) that tipping is not only not done, but in some cases considered almost offensive. Hmmm, maybe we could use that attitude here ;)

I tip at sit down restaurants, my tip reflects the quality of service. I've tipped 20 dollars on a 50 dollar bill and 5 dollars on a 100 dollar meal. It all comes down to the service. I tip my barber if I'm pleased with my cut. I tip my Tattoo artist quite well every time as well. I guess it comes down to the quality of work and the effort I see. To me its about appreciation.

I also gave the gas station guy a tip the other day because in an age / state, where it is "illegal" for me to pump my own gas it also seems increasingly difficult to find gas stations that hire employees who they trust enough to take my cash at the pump. So I have to go inside. I go inside and pay and the guy is dilly dallying around not pumping the gas outside. A worker, on break, sees this, jumps up, goes outside and pumps my gas and does my windows without having to be asked. I tipped him 5 dollars and I usually don't tip the gas pump guys, because in Oregon I cant pump my own gas, that's fine.... but if I have to get out of the car, walk in and pay any way, what are you there for? I am a damn adult, I can pump my own gas. Justify your existence to me.

I also gave the gas station guy a tip the other day because in an age / state, where it is "illegal" for me to pump my own gas it also seems increasingly difficult to find gas stations that hire employees who they trust enough to take my cash at the pump. So I have to go inside. I go inside and pay and the guy is dilly dallying around not pumping the gas outside. A worker, on break, sees this, jumps up, goes outside and pumps my gas and does my windows without having to be asked. I tipped him 5 dollars and I usually don't tip the gas pump guys, because in Oregon I cant pump my own gas, that's fine.... but if I have to get out of the car, walk in and pay any way, what are you there for? I am a damn adult, I can pump my own gas. Justify your existence to me.

That's one thing I wish we could do here - I hate waiting on the slow, usually worthless morons that pump gas. I also drive a company car and when it gets gas, they have to enter a code and my mileage - you can't believe how often they get that wrong and have to do it over and over again, all the time sighing that they had to be bothered so much in the first place. It is damn rare to get decent service at a gas station any more. Last week I actually drove away from one station because the attendant took so long to get out to the car. I would support a change in the law here to allow us to pump our own (though my wife would oppose me on that ;) )

I usually go with the 20% unless I'm PO'd that I had to wait with an empty drink or had to wait a bunch when the place isn't busy. I'm a frugal person raised by depression era parents too. About the only places we go out to eat are dive bar and grills, that serve a good stiff gin/tonic and a good selection of local craft beer, reasonably priced. I'm too cheap to go to a place that charges $15.00-$20.00 for a meal, I'm not wanting to pay twice the tip for food that doesn't taste twice as good as the local bar and grill?

About the only places we go out to eat are dive bar and grills, that serve a good stiff gin/tonic and a good selection of local craft beer, reasonably priced.

This is another area I will tip well in, if the bartender is making our drinks strong and we are out to have a good time, I like to encourage the effort there as well haha. ;)

Yeah, one of the three or so places we go can be really hit and miss with service and food, but I love the atmosphere. We only go on one of the two nights a certain gal works. She'll put another round on Happy Hour for us and treats us really good so she gets a little over 20% usually, more if the poker machines buy dinner with left over $$.

Want a good haircut I go to the barber. So I ask Mel since I have so much less hair if the price is going to be cheaper? Mel's aid I have so much less hair he has to work harder to make me look good.:D

I have one peeve on this, a coffee shop I use because it is close to my work, always asks if I want to tip. You are pouring me a coffee and handing it to me, why? I pay with cash because it is a small business - to save the owner the credit card fee - that and they use Square (which is anti- 2nd amendment)

My wife and I have disagreements on tips. All the time.

If I goto McDonalds, I get the right order, the food is hot. I get a clean table and a clean rest room.
No tip. (yes, I know that is not happening 100% at McD's, but it is my expectation)

If I (or someone in my party) asks for some change to the menu - swap fries for a salad for example
If you keep my cofee / water full
If I don't have to hunt up my own napkins
I'll tip.
Don't do that .... you obviously don't want my business. The wife still wants to give 20%. I tell her she is rewarding bad behaviour, something she knows to never do.

There are some people when I go out to eat with them, I know going in I'll tip.
My mom. And my grandson. One acts like a child and makes a mess.

I am not going to tip the dealership where I get my oil changes ( still making payments, therefore all service at dealer; on the vehicle I own, I do my own )

I reward my local Ace with my business - the HD / Lowes is not much further - but I like to do business with the more local guy (franchisee)

My wife thinks I tip too much most of the time. I learned it from living in Vegas for many years and from my mom (who was a Vegas bar tender) and my best friend (who was a Vegas bar tender and is still a bar tender in Laughlin, NV), so bar tenders always get more form me. If I find a barber I like they get a decent tip. I tip for good service and will go old school for bad service (Penny tip; I grew up being told that it was an insult for a server to receive a penny as a tip).

The best tips I ever left…….. I attending a physical security class at a hotel in Denver, after dinner, I decided to head down the street to this small bar to check it out and if it wasn't too bad of a dive, I would have a beer or two. I walked in and noticed that the place was doing good business, not overly busy, the patrons didn't look like gang members, trash, pimps or prostitutes, so I sat at the bar and ordered a beer. The bar tender brought my beer and started the obligatory small talk. We were talking for a while and when handed me a glass and said try this. I said what is it? She told me the name of the drink and I drank it. I told her what I thought of it and we went back to talking. She kept having me try different drinks as the night progressed, usually about 4 or 5 drinks between each beer that I had. I seem to remember (I'm lucky to remember anything from that night) at least 7 or 8 beers that evening, I also believe that she had given me one of everything from her encyclopedia of mixed drinks. I was way beyond drunker than Cooter Brown. She handed me my tab and it was like eight dollars. I knew that I drank more in beer than eight bucks, so she got a little more than a forty dollar tip.

Ray

Last Edited:
I was down golfin with my buds at the local par 3 and the owner was out blowin off the green we were hitting to. He got done and as he headed for the next green I ran over and gave him a quarter. He gave me the funniest look.

The best tips I ever left…….. I attending a physical security class at a hotel in Denver, after dinner, I decided to head down the street to this small bar to check it out and if it wasn't too bad of a dive, I would have a beer or two. I walked in and noticed that the place was doing good business, not overly busy, the patrons didn't look like gang members, trash, pimps or prostitutes, so I sat at the bar and ordered a beer. The bar tender brought my beer and started the obligatory small talk. We were talking for a while and when handed me a glass and said try this. I said what is it? She told me the name of the drink and I drank it. I told her what I thought of it and we went back to talking. She kept having me try different drinks as the night progressed, usually about 4 or 5 drinks between each beer that I had. I seem to remember (I'm lucky to remember anything from that night) at least 7 or 8 beers that evening, I also believe that she had given me one of everything from her encyclopedia of mixed drinks. I was way beyond drunker than Cooter Brown. She handed me my tab and it was like eight dollars. I knew that I drank more in beer than eight bucks, so she got a little more than a forty dollar tip.

Ray

I do believe that may have been warranted.

I always, always tip my waiter(es) 15-20% no matter how bad the service IF it is a place I go to often & the service is otherwise excellent. A good tip is an insurance policy to have your food arrive without any "extra prepping" performed...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top