JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Do you tip? How do you determine that?

For food, my standard is McDonalds. If the service is not better than what I get there, then I don't.

For my hair cut, I tip and I leave a Christmas bonus. I don't want to have to find a new barber.

I tip my gas station attendant $ 1 each time I fill up. It certainly does not kill me, and they wash my windows and engage in good conversation. They appreciate it and if every other person did it , they would put at least another $ 20 a day in their pocket. I tipped the tire guys $10 for rotating my tires. The guys who did it not the counter dude. The guys who change my oil, $ 1 each and not the hop sing that owns the place. Don;t eat out that much, but give them a good tip, they usually beat feet to help us when we do show up.

My barber gets at least $ 3, and I do things for her at her shop as she is usually pretty busy and a hard working girl with 2 young kids. I take her deposits to the bank, sweep the floors when I am there.

These are basically shot jobs these people work and it is an honest living them are trying to make. Good attitude goes a long ways as well.

I tip where it is expected because I know the owner is underpaying them on the expectation that I'll tip. But I HATE it. It makes my experience eating out worse because I'm being forced to manage somebody else's employee compensation. I would much rather just pay more up front and be left to mindlessly enjoy my meal and the company I brought with me.

Use to not tip well - I'm cheap...

Then some good friends that were bartenders and servers explained how much they have to share with the cooks and bus boys etc and how much they get paid otherwise. I'm closer to 20% now. But I rarely eat out so its not as big of a deal for me.

If it's a crappy service, I'm still not afraid to let my tip reflect my appreciation.

Use to not tip well - I'm cheap...

Then some good friends that were bartenders and servers explained how much they have to share with the cooks and bus boys etc and how much they get paid otherwise. I'm closer to 20% now. But I rarely eat out so its not as big of a deal for me.

If it's a crappy service, I'm still not afraid to let my tip reflect my appreciation.
This mirrors my sentiments about the practice.

I tip 15-20% , sometimes more if the corking fee is waved. I tip the Valet parking attendant $5 when he/she takes the car and $5 when they deliver it.
The espresso gal (regardless of how much skin she shows) get's a buck. The gal that cuts my hair gets $3 monthly and $10 at Xmas. The regular Joe blow at the bar who serves me a drink get a buck. I even stick $5 in the mailbox at Xmas for the mail person.

I tip all the time. I know they do not get much so everything helps. Our last time out we had not bad service but the poor guy was just overworked. Then an order was messed up. I still gave him 20% plus as hey we all have bad days... From what I saw the manager was not even helping the poor guy when he needed it. The manager brought us a plate and I ask him for something and it never shows up:rolleyes:

When it's deserved, I tip really well. Even in places that ya normally don't tip.

When it's not deserved at all, I tip anyway, at the minimun percentage. Ya just never know when I'll have to return to a place, and I don't want them spitting in my food.

What I really don't like, but I do it anyway, is pre-tipping... tipping before the service is received. Like at the car wash in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Oregon City. The car wash guys want their tip before they even start scrubbing. They even acknowledge the tip and yell 1-dollar, two-dollar, 5-dollar tip! But the scrubbers give me the same mediocre service as if I'd not tipped them at all. For a 5-dollar tip, I'd expect maybe just a little better scrub job on my hubcaps, or the rear of the vehicle where the machine doesn't get. But I just keep hoping that some day these monkeys will figure it out and give a little more service for the tip they've received. I'm still waiting.

WAYNO.

I tip the honey bucket guy out here on the jobsite in Umatucky. He has a crap job, but it's nice that he keeps things clean on non-stinky. Besides...who tips the honey bucket guy, right? I wanted to be the first :)

I don't always tip. If you do a great job you'll get a little extra, if not, you get nothing. Everyone gets a paycheck if it's not enough get a second job or change careers. I work and it's hard I don't get tips, but I don't cry about it.
Any questions refer to this...

I tip very well when I go out, this is something Im scaling back on.. Why pay someone extra who really didnt go out of their way?

Poor pay to begin with? Get a secind job, I had to do it for about 8 years.. Sack up low wagers.

I tip a few folks well, my barber and my bar tender. Both do good work and deserve it.

I don't get the tipping barber hairdresser thing.... I have less hair than I had 20 years ago and yet I pay twice as much to get it cut. It's gone way beyond usual and customary. And I am a good tipper but you need a tip for assembling my pizza I take home and bake? Nobody tipped me when I was building engine nacelle a for Grumman Gulfstreams for about .50 cents more than minimum wage and there was real skill involved with that.my mom hated the way my dad tipped and my ex hated the way I tipped.15per cent for good and then go from there.

Brutus out. Mom always thought dad tipped too much but then he was an airline pilot and a cheesy tip in NYC would start a riot.

I don't get the tipping barber hairdresser thing.... I have less hair than I had 20 years ago and yet I pay twice as much to get it cut. It's gone way beyond usual and customary".

You haven't met the girl that cuts my hair.
Young and beautiful, and I swear I'm getting a lap dance from her as she bumps and grinds her way around the chair with her scissors and comb.
I saw an 80 year old guy give her a $20.00 tip, and he walked in with only three or four grey hairs on top.

:);););)
Young and beautiful, and I swear I'm getting a lap dance from her as she bumps and grinds her way around the chair with her scissors and comb.
I saw an 80 year old guy give her a $20.00 tip, and he walked in with only three or four grey hairs on top.

You might need to get out more if you have to pay for that sort of thrill, I'm just say in'

Bro. Where do you get your hair cut? ;)

I try to engage in some conversation at first if they seem cool then I tip usually 20%.
If they act like they hate their job and I'm a bother I tip like a dollar. They have to share that with the others there. So it's more of an insult.
I've worked in customer service most of my lives and know full well what people who work with the public go through.
The general public is less than pond scum.
I am never surprised at the stupidity and disgusting nature of the public.
I deal with it daily.

I put a lot of effort into a tip and its all about merit. If I receive excellent service I reward it. I am not well off and its not that I am throwing money around and honestly it does not happen all that often.

I'll tell you a little tipping story.

I was working on a crane erection crew in Seattle down by Boeing Field. We had been working down there for several weeks and eating at the same restaurant every day for lunch. We would take turns paying for lunch, there was three or four of us most days. There was a waitress , her name was Betty, who is hands down the best waitress I have ever had. Its like until she waited on you you had no idea what service really was. She must have been 75 years old, she was not particular nice but she had nailed the perfect balance of taking care of you and leaving you alone. If you needed anything it was like she had ESP and was right there. If you ask for something it was on the table in moments. She never wrote own our orders and they where always right. She made suggestions that where right on the money and knew what was good. On several occasions I just told her "Bring me what you would have" and ended up with things I never would have ordered that I really enjoyed. To say I was impressed is an understatement. When It was my turn to pay I always left her a $20 tip. The bill was usually something like $30-$40 so given the circumstances I think that's a pretty good tip.

There was another waitress there, she hardly ever waited on us. We kind of gravitated towards Betty's tables but for what ever reason one day when it was my turn to buy we ended up being waited on by the other gal. She was everything Betty was not. She was young, extremely attractive. Big boobs and flirty and a awful waitress. She screwed up my order, left our glasses empty for most of our meal and we had to wait on her for the check. Other words typical service you get these days. We headed out the door, it was the kind of deal where they had a register at the door and you could either pay your waitress or pay up front. I got tired of waiting for her to come take my money so we went and stood up front. She cashes us out and I leave $5 for the tip. She says " $5? Why do I only get $5 when Betty gets $20? I looked in her cute little eyes and said "Because Betty is worth it" and walked out.

We always had Betty from then on.

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews