JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went a little crazy with it. Mostly because I could, and not really care much otherwise. The bolt was easier to cycle having the forward grip, so it actually kind of served a purpose other than adding to its ugliness.

We actually used this rifle for a few 3 gun matches for poops and giggles back in Reno, obviously as a joke. Mostly to see who could run it the fastest, it became a contest to see who could get the "fuglistick record." I always managed to cut up my thumbs on the stripper clips though during reloads. I told the guys who ran it the fastest time through using it got to keep it knowing I was leaving for Oregon. I was not the fastest...

Comparison of new/old styling. Cut down my Mosin again. Now it is 20" from bolt face to end of barrel. I will be taking it in the week after next to machine it down to size for threading. old.new.JPG Recut1.JPG b1.JPG

Last Edited:
I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a Rock Solid mount on it eventually. Looks like it wants one. [emoji6]

I was doing some measuring today, and came up with an idea. Instead of milling the barrel down to the diameter for M15x1 (mosin), I think I will get a brake, die and TAT for 5/8x24 (AR10) and mill the bore of the brake a bit.

Finished her up today. She'll stay this way here on forward. Thanks again to Windsor for letting me borrow the gear to thread this bad girl!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417999655.683210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417999666.932452.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417999676.100825.jpg

Looks good. Meant to ask, what scope do you have on it? Looking into the options for when I get a RSI mount.

Inexpensive Sightmark. It will likely be replaced by a Redfield I have lying around somewhere.

Sightmark seem to hold up alright to the kick? I was looking at the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20. I was thinking that scope and a RSI mount for the new Mosin. I just ordered a set of UTG rings to see if I can get the scout scope to stay where I put it on the one I shortened.

If anyone else is doing/has done mods to a Mosin, please share. I am open to ideas on things to do in the future to make mine more enjoyable and reliable.

Started the bolt mod on the second Mosin. Since the anvil on my vice broke, I decided to set it up in a different way. Cut the original handle off, flattened the nub down with a belt sander, then made a groove for the bolt handle with a Dremel and small drum. I'll get it welded up on Monday.
bolt mod 1.JPG bolt mod 2.JPG bolt mod 3.JPG

I put a Krebbs Custom AK74 style half moon design muzzle brake on mine. I had to turn the barrel in the lathe at work, and thread it. It wasn't that difficult, but took time, and patience not to screw it up. It reduced the recoil quite a bit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top