JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you want to see how the "tacticool" feels, let me know before I come up to portland and I will bring stock with me so you can see what it's like with your configuration.
Personally, it may be cool, but not much tactical about a 4' 2" long rifle. When I trade my Mauser for another Mosin, I'll do a 20" barrel with a different style brake to go 1/2 way tacticool. Won't be putting all the fancy lasers and other accessories on.
Be sure to wait til the brake is where you want it before contouring the barrel to the threads. That way, you can get the shoulder of the brake and barrel closer.

I'm not too big of a fan of the ATI stock. I like the magazine idea though. When I 1st looked at doing a bench rest mosin the Boyd's tacticool wasn't available so I went with the varmint. Now they make it for the mosin and I feel like that's what I always wanted for this rifle. I may shoot it with the current stock for a while longer, but eventually I see it wearing that stock.

Getting there. Got the new mount installed. Since the prior job was off I had to drill into this mount as well as the receiver and creat new mounting holes. Good news is, it is now level.

Since the area that I wanted threaded is much thinker than Windsor I had to heavily taper the muzzle. Doing so meant I sort of forfeit having threads up to the muzzle. I'm ok with that. Unless I want to square it off at the threads. However most threaded barrels I've seen tend to have this buffer zone, so I think I'll keep it unless it poses an issues later.

Pics...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416608632.161265.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416608671.176490.jpg

Depends. I'll see how it holds up as is. I'm also thinking I may have enough shoulder for a crush washer. If that's the case I'm going that route and just torquing it on like any other muzzle devise.

Aside from mounting position, how well did the Rick Solid mount do? I'm thinking about getting one so I can get rid of the scout setup and put a real scope on there.

Aside from mounting position, how well did the Rick Solid mount do? I'm thinking about getting one so I can get rid of the scout setup and put a real scope on there.

The second mosin I did up with one I did myself. Measured 20 times cut once. It turned out much better.

They are aluminum mounts, however very solid. Some receivers are not 100% round so they recommend bedding the mount. I did not on both of mine and they worked fine. One con is the scope height is a pain, the other is eye relief and scope length. If your running a smaller scope, something in the 40mm objective range, chances are the objective will hit the front side of the mount prior to getting proper eye relief. If running a huge long range scope, 50mm and up, you can run low rings and still have room. I have a 3-9x40 on one and a 8-23x50 on the other.

Thanks. Ill keep that in mind.
Back to threading. Next addition to the kit will be some sizing rings, the 1/2x28RH die and TATs for .223 and .22 and possibly an annular cutter. Just waiting for some sales to go through to get the funds. I am still looking for the 3/4" 79* crowning tool if anyone knows where I can get a new one. If I am going to use or let you guys use the tools, I want to start out with new tools.
Tool purchase will be slow for a bit, I need to get parts for my car, but the kit will get bigger for more calibers.

Went out shooting this morning. Some good and some bad.
Bad- one case ruptured, and one primer ruptured. Case rupture was about the diameter of a small sewing needle. Scope doesn't hold zero.
Good- LOTS of recoil reduction. I fired it with and without the brake to feel the difference with the new stock. Even without the brake, the stock makes firing the mosin easier.

Just one side note, substantial increase in noise when fired. Also, I got a Caldwell AR Prone bipod. Good for the price. A little slop in the legs, but it does have tilt and pan which makes target transition smooth.

Last Edited:
Traded my Mauser for this Mosin. Its an ex-sniper, and came with an ATI Monte Carlo stock. Trigger does have the standard play, but is crisp when it releases with very little movement of the cocking handle. All the machined surfaces of the bolt assembly are pretty smooth compared to how my other 91/30 was. It hasn't been counter bored, but the rifling at the end is a bit worn, so I will have to test it out.

I will take this one out shooting later on to see how it does. I may end up cutting the barrel down to get to good rifling and thread it for a brake, then cut the one I already did down to 20" and rethread it. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't fit in my Archangel stock. Too wide at the back of the receiver, so I'll keep it in the Monte Carlo for now. Still trying to decide on the brake to use. MosinS.JPG

Last Edited:
Decided to make a different bolt handle. Still need to finish shaping it where its is welded to the bolt, but my Dremel battery died. As it is, it clears everything, but I am still going to flatten it a bit and blend it some. Used a 5/16" bolt. Bench vice, torch, and a piece of scrap pipe to bend it. newbolt.JPG newbolt2.JPG newbolt3.JPG

Should have my brake today. Tracking says it is inbound. CNC Tactical sent me the incorrect brake the 1st time. They were cool about getting me a return label to send it back. Other than that I'm about done sanding everthing smooth and almost ready to re blue. I'll put up pics when the brake is on tonight.

Cool. Can't wait to see how it looks with the shorter barrel and find out how it performs.
Looks like I'll be threading the new mosin without cutting it down and shortening the one I already did. The new one shoots great, 3 rounds covered by a quarter at 50 yards, and 3 covered by a baseball at 100 with iron sights. So I'll just thread it for a brake to reduce the kick a little.

With your experience with the shorter barrels, what would be the best compromise? I know lots of people are saying less than 20 causes a reduction in ballistics and 16 gives a big fireball. I was thinking 18" and a muzzle brake.

So there wasn't a brake in the mail today. Kind of bummed. I'm going to thread the barrel to the same length of thread as my other 308s are. I'll likely run a crush washer now.

Windsor, stay at 20. I've cut to 18" as well as 16.5. Both of the shorter guns I sold or gave away. Not that there was anything wrong with the gun, but they started to keyhole with the heavier bullets. At 20" I have not had any heavy rounds keyhole. Lack of twist I would sum it up too. The 16" one I fuglytacticooled, it was nicknamed the dragon as it spit a pretty nice flame. It was a cheap pick up anyway, some kid hacked at the barrel to 17ish inches and cut up the stock. I made the most of it seeing it only cost me $50. I gave it to a friend before leaving Reno. I'll get a pic once on a computer.

If no brake by tomorrow afternoon, you can hang onto the kit til you get it and just mail it back to me. Or I can hang around Portland tomorrow for a while if it comes in tomorrow. I'll be threading my second one then sending it out to someone else to use.
Neither of my Mosins actually cost me money for the base rifles, just the extras. For 20" I can cut an additional 7.25" off the one I already cut down, so that will be a little bit better. I may just leave that one as a scout setup (red dots are nice, but I need glass to see well at 100).
Thanks, I'll cut it down to 20" tonight and get it prepped. Maybe one day I'll build a flamethrower at 16", or 15" with a welded/pinned brake.

Thanks Windsor. I'll head home tomorrow after work, I am pretty sure it should be in the mailbox by then. Then I can head down to Portland and meet up.

The fuglified tactical Mosin Pic as promised. Trust me it was uglier in person. It shot well though, so judge lightly!

DSCI0017.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads