JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks. I am waiting for a few things to sell on ebay and locally. Then I will order up the facing and crowning set. Once that is done, I will be ready to see how it performs.

Brake came in today. I like it. Threads on well and looks good. I ordered this one from Viperspeed on ebay. It is actually a CNC Warrior part. On CNC Warriors website (where I got the threading set), they have the Cross Brake that has 2 ports on each side and top, but I didn't see Slingshot (3 port version) on there.
I'll finish threading the mosin today and get this installed for the fitted pictures. image.jpg

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG Here are a few more pictures. The one showing the manufacturer marks is crappy, since I couldn't get my camera to focus on it. It is CNC USA.
Hopefully, next week I will be able to get the facing/crowning set and get it done. But the pictures show what it will look like.
When I inspected the brake, I noticed that a spot was sticking into the bore. I used a round file to get it right, which only took a couple swipes. Once installed, I checked the alignment visually first, then I used the TAT. With the TAT in the bore and fully seated against the brake, it went into the bore .336" (put an ear plug in the bore and pushed it down when putting the TAT in, then used my depth mic to find out how far it went in). Both visually and with the TAT, the alignment looks pretty darn good.

Thanks. When I get done and have all the tools ready to be used, I will let you know so we can set something up for you to use them if you still want to.

For those with a mosin or two and are willing/interested in doing this, it is fairly easy to do and mine turned out well. Yes, there is a chance that it it may not work for your rifle. Your bore can be too far off center, or something like that. And yes, the section you are threading needs to be the right diameter (bore centered). But it can be done if you understand that things can go wrong, you are cutting up metal that can't be welded back on, and you need to take it slow.
If you are like me, and enjoy doing things that "shouldn't or can't" be done, it's worth the cost. If you aren't sure about doing it yourself, PLEASE atleast talk to a REPUTABLE gunsmith. If you do it, PLEASE measure multiple times before cutting, and quadruple check that everything lines up PRIOR to shooting.
Reno911, if you don't mind, put up some pictures when you are doing/done with yours. That way fewer guys will see me as a "mental guy who thinks he can do anything" < that's what my cousin says anytime I do my own work on something.

I certainly disagree with your cousin. There's nothing mental about a 'can do' attitude. I wish more folks had it. Our country would be in a lot better shape if they did, I think.

Well done on your threading job and thanks for sharing. Hopefully you've inspired a bunch of folks to try it.

I just happened upon this thread, awesome job on your mosin. I have been considering this project as well. I haven't read all the posts yet but where did you get your tools from, for threading the Barrel? I am much more interested in this project, now that I have seen yours. Great job, that brake looks awesome.

When Reno911 gets done with it, I am willing to let other established members rent the set (threading kit and Brownells 90* facing kit). Cash or surplus ammo. Cash will go into a pot to buy more dies, TATs, crowning tools, and other parts.

Let me know when you get it back, I've been very interested in this project for awhile, I would be willing to rent the equipment from you. Do you mind me asking what the whole set up is costing you? I have a really rough looking 91/30 with a good shiny bore, that I have been dieing cut down and turn into a fun brush gun.

I'm in about $150 so far, adding pilots/dies/chamfering tools will bump that up fast. The 90* facing tool had the highest single piece cost. Having trouble finding a 79*/11* chamfering tool in 3/4". Everyone seems to only have the 1/2" version.

Well, got a birthday gift today. New stock. Holy crap that thing is comfortable. Cant wait to find out how it feels when shooting. Ergonomics of it is beyond nice.
archangel stock.JPG

Let me start by saying Windsor is a damn fine gentleman and a hell of a cool guy for letting me borrow his tools. Not only did he send me the die set and 90 facing tool, everything came in an organized tote, including barrel clamp and cutting oil. Not a whole lot of folks out there like Windsor anymore. He is a great guy and an asset to the forum.

No pics yet. I got the threads started last night. I have a mosin at 20"s and it performs well, so the one I'm threading I wanted to cut down to 20 from the original 24. I had to push the die all the way out as far as it would go while fitting in the tap handle. Seeing as where I am threading mine is much further in on the barrel my diameter is too big. So I took the end of the bore, about an inch worth, to the belt grinder, removing just enough to get the die started, but I also tapered the end heavily to assist cutting with the die. I ordered a CNC Warrior flash brake and will wait till I get it, hopefully next week. I will the finish threading as well as adjusting the die to cut the threads deeper. Pretty much following the video link I posted earlier.

I'll have to sand the barrel near the threads a bit to get back to a perfect contour.

I also decided to 100% re blue the gun since working on the muzzle. This way I can going out a lot of the markings stamped into the metal at various points of the gun. While I'm at that the original smith who mounted my Rock Solid mount was off level, so I'm going to find a way to mount another Rock Solid mount and likely go with the newer piccitiny mount. I'll stick with the Boyd's featherlight varmint stock. Later I may change to the Tacticool.

Once done she should be shiny and blue with a nice brake/flash hider and ready to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top