JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been a lot of threads about websites, gun shops, etc that have taken advantage or customers over the last few months. I did some searching and I don't see a list, a sticky, or any place where these business are listed. Given this is a Northwest forum it would send a clear message to at least to local shops the next time around if we captured the name of the business and what the were charging.

It absolutely blows my mind that people who own firearms because of a philosophy centering on personal accountability, will NOT accept accountability for their own spending. Nobody has been taken advantage of. Some people simply spent extra to get what they wanted. Personally, I paid $100 each for 31 and 22 round .40 Glock mags during the crazy period. I'm not butthurt, and I'm not pointing fingers. I knew what I was doing, and I don't blame the store I bought them at.

We are responsible for our spending.

RBid, I respectfully disagree. I don't disagree with the philosophy that if the price is too high I can just walk away, that is how it always has been. What I disagree with is a business, at the retail level shopping the other retail outlets in their business area, and buying up what was available to all, in effect drying up the supply available to us, then marking it up and trying to resell it to the same market. That has been happening in Longview, Wa. and I for one will never spend a nickel in that shop again. I won't say who it is, or what they did, as I got the info second hand. I trust the guy that told me, and will make my buying decisions accordingly.

RBid, I respectfully disagree. I don't disagree with the philosophy that if the price is too high I can just walk away, that is how it always has been. What I disagree with is a business, at the retail level shopping the other retail outlets in their business area, and buying up what was available to all, in effect drying up the supply available to us, then marking it up and trying to resell it to the same market. That has been happening in Longview, Wa. and I for one will never spend a nickel in that shop again. I won't say who it is, or what they did, as I got the info second hand. I trust the guy that told me, and will make my buying decisions accordingly.

Intentionally buying out the supply is a completely different ballgame than what most of these threads center on. Calling somebody out for that specific behavior makes sense.

Blaming a shop for pricing doesn't make sense.

Some people do not get how businesses work. If all of your product is flying off your shelves faster than you can put it on, then you raise the prices. Simple economics. I am so tired of people complaining about it. If you do not like the prices then don't buy it! What???!! I know this may seem foreign to some who are used to things going their way but it is how America works, and I for one like it very much.

If you really want to get rich, start a magazine or ammo producing business, then I am sure you wont be crying about the high prices of mags.

Some people do not get how businesses work. If all of your product is flying off your shelves faster than you can put it on, then you raise the prices. Simple economics. I am so tired of people complaining about it. If you do not like the prices then don't buy it! What???!! I know this may seem foreign to some who are used to things going their way but it is how America works, and I for one like it very much.

If you really want to get rich, start a magazine or ammo producing business, then I am sure you wont be crying about the high prices of mags.

There was a lot of price gouging going on charging 2, 3 or even 4x what things were worth and often times to people who didn't know better. As you said if you don't like the prices done buy, and I didn't pay an inflated price for anything. However taking advantage of people who don't know better is business model I choose to not support. Companies screwing over new shooters is not a way to grow support for the cause or shooting sports. Yes, companies are in business to make money, but I choose not to spend my money with companies that favor those business practices.

There was a lot of price gouging going on charging 2, 3 or even 4x what things were worth and often times to people who didn't know better. As you said if you don't like the prices done buy, and I didn't pay an inflated price for anything. However taking advantage of people who don't know better is business model I choose to not support. Companies screwing over new shooters is not a way to grow support for the cause or shooting sports. Yes, companies are in business to make money, but I choose not to spend my money with companies that favor those business practices.

Soooo... They're supposed to have a special price for first time buyers, or "don't know any better" pricing? Maybe put up a sign that says, "current pricing is inflated"?

The market is the market. It doesn't discriminate between people who know better, and people who don't. I don't know a lot about stereos. You know how that effects my spending? It doesn't. I spend what I am comfortable spending on the item in question. That's because I'm a big boy, with big boy pants, and I am responsible enough to avoid screwing myself financially by buying beyond my means.

This misdirected agression should be aimed toward the true cause of the inflated prices... anti-gun politicians who give-in to anti-gun special interests and the party that supports the majority of them, in my opinion.

The union mentality of telling employers how much they must pay them does not transfer well to consumers demanding how much a retailer must charge them for a product.

If you don't like the wage you negotiated with an employer go get a different job. If you don't like the price a retailer is charging go shop elsewhere. Trying to find solidarity against a free man charging whatever he decides? Good luck with that.

You know what my favorite part about these threads is?

Is how much the point gets missed about where, who and how we're getting screwed.

There's always anecdotal evidence of having 3 AR's , and selling one off for a phenomenal price.

Like that's how a man will get rich.

That extra 500 bucks you made off selling you ar is not evidence of "how the free market works".

It's evidence of where you modt likely are on the economic food chain.

I truly appreciate what 5 bills is, trust me.

Yes, some suppliers and dealers took advantage of pricing. It's hard to really tell who.

My local store, ammo kept going up. I asked they said it was the supplier. They've been historically fair in their pricing, so I believe them.

I feel I might be rambling here, telling a story with no point.

So just one more thing.

Next time someone wants to complain about "the lazy union worker" just remember, people came together, and fought for things like weekends, a 40 hour work week, overtime pay, health and safety on the job. Just give those things up for a bit. See if you don't miss them.

I have seen at a place online, "located in Washington" that I used to buy from, just totally ridiculous prices for 22lr that they have in stock, but no one is twisting my arm to buy from them and it is capitalism at it's best if they actually sell any of their stock.
I may not buy from them ever again, but I don't see anyone getting screwed.

Like so many others have said on here, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

This is very simple.

If s shop is, IMO gouging on prices, they won't get my business. EVER AGAIN.

I HAVE plenty of defensive ammo in stock.

I don't HAVE to train with live ammo. There are a dozen methods of training without ammo and I USE them.

AFTER the frenzy, I will STILL not buy from the guys that I think were gouging.

Now this is MY thing. I'm not encouraging anyone else to follow it. After the dust clears and all the people who were anti-gun until it looked like you might not be able to GET ONE got theirs, the guys who were listing Cost + X% get my business every time.

Gun stores stay in business based on service, not price.

If it was all price, everyone would be buying on Gunbroker and buying ammo in bulk via I-Net.

Most of the solid gun stores I've dealt with have always been about a fairly well-advertised "cost +X%." When their costs go up, so do prices. No problem. that's supply and demand.

On the other hand, the guys who jacked prices on Olympic Arms pieces of crap ARs to $1500 are gougers. Fine by me, free markets are a wonderful thing.

Just don't expect me to ever darken your doors again. I know what they're worth.

This is very simple.

If s shop is, IMO gouging on prices, they won't get my business. EVER AGAIN.

I HAVE plenty of defensive ammo in stock.

I don't HAVE to train with live ammo. There are a dozen methods of training without ammo and I USE them.

AFTER the frenzy, I will STILL not buy from the guys that I think were gouging.

Now this is MY thing. I'm not encouraging anyone else to follow it. After the dust clears and all the people who were anti-gun until it looked like you might not be able to GET ONE got theirs, the guys who were listing Cost + X% get my business every time.

Gun stores stay in business based on service, not price.

If it was all price, everyone would be buying on Gunbroker and buying ammo in bulk via I-Net.

Most of the solid gun stores I've dealt with have always been about a fairly well-advertised "cost +X%." When their costs go up, so do prices. No problem. that's supply and demand.

On the other hand, the guys who jacked prices on Olympic Arms pieces of crap ARs to $1500 are gougers. Fine by me, free markets are a wonderful thing.

Just don't expect me to ever darken your doors again. I know what they're worth.

Sir, I have to point out that you said that businesses stay in business based on service, not price, in a post in which you talked about price, not service.

I love how some people automatically get defensive if "union" is mentioned. Some even add things out of context that were never mentioned like "lazy." The analogy actually fits this topic. The OP would like to get others to join him in boycotting companies whose owners or managers have decided to sell things at a price they chose. He feels the prices are unfair. I predict his mission will be unsuccessful.

I think Wal-Mart's business model works very well for them. The lower they keep the operating costs and cost of product the more profit they make. Seems simple to me. I rarely go there but I'm sure they will survive without me. When buying guns and gun parts I usually see if the local dealers I personally know have them or can order them before I order them online. I don't mind paying a little more knowing they don't have the purchasing power the big distributors have and I'd like them to stay in business. If the UAW didn't exist I'd likely buy a new American made vehicle rather than a used one. This is America and we all make our own choices. You have the right to disagree with my economic philosophy.

Imagine if this shortage was not on guns and ammo, but was on food.

Then it would be a different subject and "price gouging" might actually pertain. ;)

so... has anyone in all these posts mentioned a gouger yet? I keep hearing all the talk about these villains but nobody will man up and call a spade a spade. personally, what limited shops we have in Vancouver I haven't seen anyone taking advantage of the situation. Brightwater's prices haven't changed, I've purchased 4 guns from them in the past month alone. L&L has never been the lowest price around but I haven't noticed an increase from them. Wholesale Sports gun prices went up slightly but I believe that to be because Sportsman's Warehouse bought them back and they've always had the higher price between the two. Discount Guns are complete rapists but they've been that all along and it has nothing to do with the recent political bills getting introduced.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top