JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does the pilot fly in with a box of band-aids, and then leave the injured party to get himself to safety?...
... in other words, what's the payload? o_O

But, if it's the only way to get help in ... it does put another tool in the box.
Heck, maybe in a few years we'll be wondering how we managed without it! :s0039:
I was thinking the same thing. Most likely not in my lifetime but, if they one day are as common as a bike. I was laughing about this the other night when I had to go with someone who got off work early AM, forgot their cell phone and came back for it. I said I went to using mine in the car for my music so I could not forget it. Since I had a couple times headed off to work, then found I forgot it, so if time allowed would turn around and go back. Somthing that not very long ago had not even been invented yet :D

you sound like you know what you're talking about, so cool....

more fake news, then, from those handsome, full trousered chaps with the great teeth.....

Anyway, shouldn't you be out gathering more wood for your cave fire ?

I buy that it will do what I saw in the Adam Savage video, but that's all.

I don't buy 1,000 HP. Most people can't safely handle a 1,000 HP sports car without training and I don't buy that a human can control that much force with their hands. How many times have you seen a video where far less power snaps a steel axle and they want you to believe that your arm bones can candle it?

I don't buy that they could fly it a fair distance through the woods as seen in the video in the OP. Two reasons - lack of fuel and the heat produced by the engines. Jet engines are about 70% efficient, and that's at high altitude. They are less efficient at lower altitudes where us simple cave dwellers can breathe without passing out.

So, if we believe 1,000 HP output then they are also producing the equivalent of 500 HP in heat assuming 2/3 efficiency. Since 1 HP of energy converts to slightly less than 33,500 BTU I think you can see where this is going real fast.

Anyways, I have to take a break and throw another chunk of tree on the fire cuz it's cold, damp and dark in here. Anybody seen my stone axe?

Jet packs don't do much for me. But still pining for the day when I can acquire a gyrocopter.

482197_1440x990.jpg

I don't buy 1,000 HP. Most people can't safely handle a 1,000 HP sports car without training and I don't buy that a human can control that much force with their hands. How many times have you seen a video where far less power snaps a steel axle and they want you to believe that your arm bones can candle it?

I don't buy that they could fly it a fair distance through the woods as seen in the video in the OP. Two reasons - lack of fuel and the heat produced by the engines. Jet engines are about 70% efficient, and that's at high altitude. They are less efficient at lower altitudes where us simple cave dwellers can breathe without passing out.

So, if we believe 1,000 HP output then they are also producing the equivalent of 500 HP in heat assuming 2/3 efficiency. Since 1 HP of energy converts to slightly less than 33,500 BTU I think you can see where this is going real fast.

Anyways, I have to take a break and throw another chunk of tree on the fire cuz it's cold, damp and dark in here. Anybody seen my stone axe?
Few remember one car maker played with a Turbine engine car. That was one of the problems, heat coming out the exhaust. If the car sat at a light it could start to melt the damn black top.
For those to really "take off" intended:D, they need another big jump in battery power. When they can make one that runs on batteries they will have something to go with. Look at the damn drones and how far they have come in such a short time.

Few remember one car maker played with a Turbine engine car. That was one of the problems, heat coming out the exhaust. If the car sat at a light it could start to melt the damn black top.
For those to really "take off" intended:D, they need another big jump in battery power. When they can make one that runs on batteries they will have something to go with. Look at the damn drones and how far they have come in such a short time.

What about that turbine powered car that was produced by Chrysler. I believe most of the cars were destroyed but I know Jay Leno drove one on his show.

Chrysler Turbine Car - Wikipedia

What about that turbine powered car that was produced by Chrysler. I believe most of the cars were destroyed but I know Jay Leno drove one on his show.

Chrysler Turbine Car - Wikipedia
That may be it. Its been a long time since I saw video of them trying them. The idea failed for a couple reasons. What to do with the exhaust was just one of them. Could not have it come out the back, point it at the ground and it could melt the black top. Performance and of course cost was also a problem but this was a long time ago. I remember when the big boats that race up here started to go with Turbine's. The old style boats with the Rolls engines did not have a chance after that. Back then they had not yet invented the protected cockpit for the driver either. When the boats came apart the driver almost never lived to tell about it. Took a special kind of Adrenalin junky to drive those damn things.

It really doesnt take that much power to lift a 200lb human...but... I've been watching those videos too and still...
1. Micro turbines with high bypass fan stages. Basically ducted fan stages that cools the jet exhausts.

2. Runs kerosene. Diesel, or paraffin.

Those two things. Means not as much heat output as a pure jet or rocket motor.

Its an interesting take on the jet pack concept.... adding the forearm thrusters probably did a lot to help with the problems of manuevering versus the earlier rocket belt designs as seen in one of the Bond movies ... also, you guys should note that these 4 micro turbofan engines are angled and with heatshields away from the hands/arms, right? Similar concept as to why you can put your hand over a fire if you have a barrier or three between flames and flesh (ask a blacksmith, or a forgeworker). You are not putting the flame of the jets directly against your forearms. That bypass fan helps a lot to cool things around the combustion chamber and jet burners.

Thrust is key, not Horse power, and Thrust is not measured the same way, nor does it produce the same types of stress's. YES, this jet pack business is real, yes, it really does work, and Yes, it doesn't sip fuel it guzzles it! I got to see one of the first of these in action, it had a flight time of about 5 min on 5 gallons of Jet-A, and could lift a 180 pound man easily, BUT, each of those turbines only produces around 30 pounds of thrust, so how does that compute, Not everything is what it seems here, Thrust is but one component, think real hard here, I'll gibe you an example: 1950 North American built the F-86 Jet fighter, it weighed far more then the thrust in pounds the engine could produce, and yet, ,it could reach speeds of just over 600 MPH, how is that possible? Exhaust Efflux speed! SO, not only is this relying on Thrust, it's also relying on the Efflux Speed to do the work, and just like a helicopter, once there is sufficient forward airspeed, the amount of life required goes down, and thrust and efflux speed can be converted into horizontal speed! Still the fuel burn will always be the limiting factor!
Now, as to an electric system, it's possible, but the tech for the fans and the brushless motors is still not quite there, but I bet it's super close!
Basically, the power density of the batteries isn't quite there yet!

What if it's foggy, dark, windy or rainy up there in those hills?

We have none of those things in the UK.....except, I grant you, darkness.

perhaps you could suggest a system to them whereby the 1000hp could be delivered in an increasing linear & controlled fashion, rather than dropping it all at once. Bet they wish they'd thought of something that...
Axles snap because they're thin, metal dislike twisting, trying to shift high mass at the top, too quickly, against friction from rubber on the ground. The rockets aren't twisting your arms, they're providing sufficient force to gently lift a mass of say, 250-300 pounds....
This man's muscuskeletal system survived a 1104lb loading without snapping :

People that go titsup in 1000hp cars are battling mass, changing vectors and momentum at high speed, The jetpack looks pleasingly relaxing and low mass. I'm sure its a nightmare to learn, but some of us master skateboards and rollerskates, so hey...
Maybe there're are a ton of un-posted video's of him setting his lower legs aflame, I don't care I still want one, even if it's for just for going between my house and Fred Meyers.

They are not rockets ;) again, @Ura-Ki ... high bypass fan stages can help boost the apparent thrust, same way an 100hp piston motor can lift a helicopter (granted, small and light but huge lift from rotor itself) ;) so the microjet engines used are high bypass turbofans, at least from what I can see on this video

The addition of a ducted fan stage will generate more thrust (because it moves more air) to the unit than a straight jet system, so a turbofan is a bit more effective (not efficient ;) ) than a turbojet. Now, for the "1000bhp" thing... I wonder if the lads in the UK calculate from a different system than Shaft HP and thrust weight?

Well technically it takes 200+the weight of the jet pack and fuel worth of trust. So if the flying thing weighed 100lbs and the pilot with his outfit weighed 200lbs it would take 301lbs of trust to lift him off. Now to push him along in level flight it will take a bunch more thrust to create the lift and over come the drag of hauling his dead weight around.

To fly lift must over come gravity and thrust must over come drag The USAF academy made a claw foot bath tub fly with enough trust.

Well technically it takes 200+the weight of the jet pack and fuel worth of trust. So if the flying thing weighed 100lbs and the pilot with his outfit weighed 200lbs it would take 301lbs of trust to lift him off. Now to push him along in level flight it will take a bunch more thrust to create the lift and over come the drag of hauling his dead weight around.

To fly lift must over come gravity and thrust must over come drag The USAF academy made a claw foot bath tub fly with enough trust.
Enough lift to overcome gravity and drag. Thrust can do that, but so can the propeller , rotor, and fan ;) most plames require some form of lift in addition to thrust to get up into air. Thrust alone can be from jet exhaust, fans, rotors... thats why the high bypass fan systems are far better than straight jets and rocket systems ;) although several makers tried to make tipjet/rocket propelled rotors work... :rolleyes:

They are not rockets ;) again, @Ura-Ki ... high bypass fan stages can help boost the apparent thrust, same way an 100hp piston motor can lift a helicopter (granted, small and light but huge lift from rotor itself) ;) so the microjet engines used are high bypass turbofans, at least from what I can see on this video

The addition of a ducted fan stage will generate more thrust (because it moves more air) to the unit than a straight jet system, so a turbofan is a bit more effective (not efficient ;) ) than a turbojet. Now, for the "1000bhp" thing... I wonder if the lads in the UK calculate from a different system than Shaft HP and thrust weight?
Your on the right track, but.......
The engines used are the radial flow type, ( Similar to what is generally found in Helicoptors, and early Jet propelled aircraft) and NOT Turbo Fan, or Axial Flow ( Turbo Jets) types!
Here are the actual engines used!

1601703458116.png

Your on the right track, but.......
The engines used are the radial flow type, ( Similar to what is generally found in Helicoptors, and early Jet propelled aircraft) and NOT Turbo Fan, or Axial Flow ( Turbo Jets) types!
Here are the actual engines used!

View attachment 757548
So, centrifugal jets? Fascinating. Well. They looked similar to the turbofan diagrams just from that video :confused: I see that its not exactly the same

Edit. The guy in the video mentioned that the back mounted one is twice as large the smaler ones, but I am not sure if he meant 2x the forearm unit of 2 jets, or 2x each small unit

So, centrifugal jets? Fascinating. Well. They looked similar to the turbofan diagrams just from that video :confused: I see that its not exactly the same
Too rich for my blood too! I have flying friends with more money then brains, so I get to see all the latest in flying toys! These guys take the hobby to a whole nother level of crazy! I stopped at 127 MM Electric Ducted Fans, and even those cost tons of coins!

Simplicity at it's finest!
1601704008398.png

If it were me using my "More Money then Brains, Brain" I would build a Ultralite Coaxial Heli with a Solar T-62 turbine in it! I KNOW these turbines very well, they are bomb proof, simple, inefficient as hell, and more fun to play with then should be legal!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top