Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thompson contender with a broken pin

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by GadgetGeek, Apr 30, 2013.

1. GadgetGeek

GadgetGeek Portland, Oregon Member

7bce3a6d0b1751a4961939610f2e0c4a_zps50eba3ce.jpg

My contender has a broken trigger pin. It's the pin that goes through the entire frame and is right above the trigger... Since the gun hasn't been made for a few years ;) I was wondering if anyone knew where to get parts besides a parts frame... A google search brought nothing worthwhile for pins, but I did find a screaming deal on a new'ish 22lr barrel!

I did find some various pin stock on midway's website... Is machining my own the route I am looking at? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. tony r

tony r vancouver wa New Member

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have run across the same problem in the past with my High Standard pistols.
    I went to Harbor Freight and bought some of their cheap small sized drill bit sets in metric and standard sizes.
    Find one that fits perfect, cut it a little longer then the original pin with my air grinder cut off blade.
    Grind it down to the proper length & bevel, blue the ends and tap into place.
    The drill bits are surfaced hardened also.

4. GadgetGeek

I'll check that out jbett98. I looked at poppert's and called them earlier today tony! No go... :(

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Make sure you pick up a metric set also. Thompson probably drilled the hole with an SAE sized bit, and the metrics sizes fit nice and snug.

6. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi GadgetGeek,
    Just call Brownell get some spring stock cut to size. Here is the number 800-741-0015
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

7. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Even though the pistol isn't made anymore have you tried contacting Thompson center? Maybe they can tell you who has it, or what the dimensions are.

8. GadgetGeek

Great news!!! I emailed TCarms about the pin and got a call back today from one of their support techs. They are sending me a replacement (plus a couple spares) at no charge. Knew exactly what I was talking about and had everything processed by the time we were done on the phone. Talk about customer service!

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Glad they were able to help you out :D