JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just thought I would share my story about this 1911 Winchester 1890 in .22 short.
VV5nSFE.jpg
This rifle was purchased new by my mother-in-law's grandfather in 1911 as a "truck" gun (or maybe wagon gun IDK). Over the years it was passed down to her father and then to her and as far as she was concerned it has sat in a closet since the 1930's. After the passing of my wife last year and then her father this year, my M-n-L happened to mention a rifle that was in her closet and asked if I wanted to look at it. I was more than happy to do so since I had never known them to own any guns, and you can imagine my surprise when she pulled out this 1890. Even though it was pretty "crusty" from not being touched for the better part of 90 years, I made her an offer which she refused saying she just wanted to give it to me. I insisted on the grounds of not wanting to piss off any of her other kids so she accepted ½ of my offer.

The first thing that I noticed once I got it home and tore down was that the bore was absolutely corroded out and would need to be dealt with. I then went to work with some 0000 steel wool and WD-40 and was very happy with the amount of blue left on the barrel and that there was only just a hint of rust damage on the previously color case hardened receiver.

After the cleanup and a good oiling it was off to the range to check the mechanics and it ran like a sewing machine. Action was very smooth and it went bang every time, but at 25 yards it was like a shotgun which I had figured. This is where Redmans Rifling & Reboring comes into play. Redmans Rifling and Reboring

I found Redmans during my search of options for the bore, and after talking with Randy on the phone, I had my barreled action in the mail to him. His wait time is pretty long due to the success of his business, but it is definitely worth the wait. I received my part yesterday and he does do a wonderful job of getting the muzzle blended in.

I was at the indoor range first thing this morning and am extremely happy with the results. Shots from resting on my range bag in the red and other groups were off hand.
bqAptuE.jpg
Next trip will be outdoors which will be the real acid test because my old eyes will stand a better chance.

Last Edited:
I also recently discovered the my sister-in-law's husband has this same rifle in 22 WRF that he got when his father passed away. I am going to make a play for this one also since he is not a shooter, but I probably won't get the same sweet deal that I got from my M-n-L though LOL.

Great you got the gun. I have the next model, an 06 made around 1915 and has been in the family since the early 30's. Old .22 ammo used to do a number on the barrels of these guns as it was very corrosive. A lot of barrels were replaced in the day as mine has been replaced(circle R mark factory barrel) sometime before the early 30's and it really needs to be relined. My dad shot a lot of cheap black powder gallery shorts that had been givein to him in the gun when he was a kid.

I also recently discovered the my sister-in-law's husband has this same rifle in 22 WRF that he got when his father passed away. I am going to make a play for this one also since he is not a shooter, but I probably won't get the same sweet deal that I got from my M-n-L though LOL.

If you get the .22WRF gun another member has WRF ammo for sale .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top