JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many years ago I picked up a Remington 341 very cheap because it had evidently been stored in a damp soft-case. I took a chance, got it home and gave it a good cleaning, relieve to find the bore pristine. Its been a great shooter.
Recently I've been reading about the changeover from corrosive to non-corrosive rimfire primers/powder, and it seems to have happened over several decades. Makes me wonder just how lucky I got. What have other buyers of old pre-war rimfires found? Lots of rough bores?

Tale of two old Winchesters:

mods 62 and 1890.jpg

The top rifle is a Model 62A that my Grandfather purchased new. This rifle is post the beginning of "non-corrosive" ammo and the bore is still pristine.

The bottom rifle is a model 1890 that was purchased new by my Mother-In-Laws Grandfather. The bore was completely shot out/corroded when I received it and I had it "re-lined" by Redmans in Omak, WA. It now shoots like new and you really cannot tell it was re-lined.

Tale of two old Winchesters:

View attachment 1779756

The top rifle is a Model 62A that my Grandfather purchased new. This rifle is post the beginning of "non-corrosive" ammo and the bore is still pristine.

The bottom rifle is a model 1890 that was purchased new by my Mother-In-Laws Grandfather. The bore was completely shot out/corroded when I received it and I had it "re-lined" by Redmans in Omak, WA. It now shoots like new and you really cannot tell it was re-lined.
Beautiful!

I have a Remington 1 1/2 circa 1870's I believe. It's in 22. When I got it, it only would eject once in awhile.
Had a local smith go through it completely and he repaired the eject issue. The barrel retains its rifling and
it cleaned up a bit. It still shows it's black powder days though. I've shot it at 100 yards into an 8.5X11 piece
of paper and it groups about that size, so don't depend on it being a great squirrel gun. It's the nicest
example Remington falling block I've seen GB or other sites. It has not been refinished. Great checkering.

DSCN0081.JPG DSCN0083.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top