JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in high school as many of you know and am taking a speech and debate class. I am currently preparing a speech on gun control and found this on a website of mass shootings since 2000.
2 of the most interesting shooting weapons ever, a flamethrower and a Hi-Point.
IMG_1361.PNG

Compare the rate of mass shootings to those who die each day in the USA because of Hospital Acquired Infections. Then move on to how many die each day from properly prescribed and properly ingested pharmaceutical drugs.

How many people die from road rage and/or drunk driving?

I had one guy almost run into me a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't tailgating the cars in front of me and I wasn't going fast enough for him - he tailgated me for miles and later came inches away from hitting me as he purposely cut in front of me in order to run me off the road. This was rush hour traffic and he wasn't going to get anywhere any faster - he just didn't like that someone in front of him wasn't driving like the idiot he is.

I am in high school as many of you know and am taking a speech and debate class. I am currently preparing a speech on gun control and found this on a website of mass shootings since 2000.
2 of the most interesting shooting weapons ever, a flamethrower and a Hi-Point.
View attachment 351727

Good for you!!! I also took to debate and speech while in high school in the 90s and had to debate about gun control. That was at a debate competition at Cal State San Marcos. It was hard even back then in Cali. Wrote a paper on it and presented it to the class. Even back then it didn't go over well. Good luck to you man. On a side note, flamethrower is an odd weapon of choice nowadays

Good for you!!! I also took to debate and speech while in high school in the 90s and had to debate about gun control. That was at a debate competition at Cal State San Marcos. It was hard even back then in Cali. Wrote a paper on it and presented it to the class. Even back then it didn't go over well. Good luck to you man. On a side note, flamethrower is an odd weapon of choice nowadays
Thank you! I get my debating skills from my dad. We got to choose out topic though so I decided to do mine on gun control and the misunderstanding of firearms in today's society. I am going over the number of deaths by firearms in the years of 2010 - 2014 and which weapons cause the most deaths (pistols - 70%, rifles - 3.5%, shotguns - 3.7%, and misc. firearms - 22.2%), the parts of AR-15s as well as the different actions of firearms and the different rounds that are used most commonly. Have some brass (.22, .17 HMR, .40 S&W, .45 auto, .223, .22-250, .270 Winchester, and .300 win mag) from my first time shooting that I am going to see if I can bring it in to give people a hands-on experience with the size of the round. Plus I will be doing some explaining on how semi-automatic weapons work, plus a little on how bullets work. It's going to be interesting.

Jeeze that will be a heck of a presentation to take on. Be prepared for a bunch of negativity & "crickets" from your target audience. Good on you!

-a spin might be to include the mental stability of the actors in the statistics if known & documented. It's not a firearms issue, it's a mental healthcare issue or some such.

How many people die from road rage and/or drunk driving?

I had one guy almost run into me a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't tailgating the cars in front of me and I wasn't going fast enough for him - he tailgated me for miles and later came inches away from hitting me as he purposely cut in front of me in order to run me off the road. This was rush hour traffic and he wasn't going to get anywhere any faster - he just didn't like that someone in front of him wasn't driving like the idiot he is.
9,964 in 2014 for drunk driving
8,124 in 2014 for firearms
This is one of my main sources.
Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Jeeze that will be a heck of a presentation to take on. Be prepared for a bunch of negativity & "crickets" from your target audience. Good on you!

-a spin might be to include the mental stability of the actors in the statistics if known & documented. It's not a firearms issue, it's a mental healthcare issue or some such.
Thanks! It definitely won't be easy but I am up to it. I am going to see if I can find a study or report that includes the mental state of the subjects but that is hard to come by due to the confidentiality of the subject. Am going to try to get that though.

Thank you! I get my debating skills from my dad. We got to choose out topic though so I decided to do mine on gun control and the misunderstanding of firearms in today's society. I am going over the number of deaths by firearms in the years of 2010 - 2014 and which weapons cause the most deaths (pistols - 70%, rifles - 3.5%, shotguns - 3.7%, and misc. firearms - 22.2%), the parts of AR-15s as well as the different actions of firearms and the different rounds that are used most commonly. Have some brass (.22, .17 HMR, .40 S&W, .45 auto, .223, .22-250, .270 Winchester, and .300 win mag) from my first time shooting that I am going to see if I can bring it in to give people a hands-on experience with the size of the round. Plus I will be doing some explaining on how semi-automatic weapons work, plus a little on how bullets work. It's going to be interesting.
;)

I'd be a little bit on edge If bringing even used brass into a classroom in today's society. Just sayn, watch your bubblegum....Might stir up some scat......you also might want to throw in there how firearm deaths compared to others chart. Get FBI stats and such to prove points. Doctors, cars, DUI's, prescription meds, hammers, etc compare. Do some research on suicide.....(I really hate to say that)....You have to be able to argue these points if confronted. Don't only focus on guns, rather make them your main topic. Have something else to argue about if it gets brought up. Is this strictly "speech" or debate also??? If this is up for debate, well you won't lose. Your In the right place.... ;) I wish you luck man!!!

;)

I'd be a little bit on edge If bringing even used brass into a classroom in today's society. Just sayn, watch your bubblegum....Might stir up some scat......you also might want to throw in there how firearm deaths compared to others chart. Get FBI stats and such to prove points. Doctors, cars, DUI's, prescription meds, hammers, etc compare. Do some research on suicide.....(I really hate to say that)....You have to be able to argue these points if confronted. Don't only focus on guns, rather make them your main topic. Have something else to argue about if it gets brought up. Is this strictly "speech" or debate also??? If this is up for debate, well you won't lose. Your In the right place.... ;) I wish you luck man!!!
I would make sure to check with the teacher and the principle before bringing any in. I have checked on suicide a little but will go more in depth and more into the other weapons. This is strictly a speech but we will be doing debates on topics like this soon.

I would make sure to check with the teacher and the principle before bringing any in. I have checked on suicide a little but will go more in depth and more into the other weapons. This is strictly a speech but we will be doing debates on topics like this soon.

You may actually have to go to the school board to bring a real weapon to school. Our play director had to for a play about the American Civil War, and we are a small rural district. Your principal may be able to skirt that by having an air soft gun or toy gun used instead. You can always have diagrams/visual aids instead and that should not be a problem.

If this is a speech and you will be able to do a debate later, you may want to break up your ideas. In other words:
  • Informational speech-how a gun works, how they are used properly, the requirements to obtain one and who is already on the no-no list
  • Persuasive speech-people who own guns are normal, everyday people not the nut jobs you see on TV all the time
  • Anniversary speech-the history of firearms and why they are so ingrained in our culture
  • Debate-gun control laws don't work
With the research you are doing, you have a lot of resources and important information. It would be difficult to fit it all into even a class period. Do a speech, give them time to think about that, then hit the class with another aspect on the next speech.

You may find that the students (and teachers) will look forward to how you are able to work guns into all your speeches. I had a student last year that loved Taco Bell and she would flawlessly work it into every speech.

Sorry, went into "teacher mode," :oops: but I hope it helps.

Daring report. Gun control is a triggering topic and sure to get you a bad grade, and possibly more.

Just my opinion...But if you know your school and teacher are skid marks in life, just go full bore dude. Let em know what they can't handle. Hopefully they show you respect...But if they don't and you're standing in front of a mean or stupid audience, smile and believe in your freedom of speech.

TeacherSmurf has it right, I would work it in stages, and don't bang away at one set of points. Further, I would engage your class mates/teacher with "Historic facts" about America and the Gun, why we have them, and why we have the rights we have, I would also make the point of; No nation on earth can/ ever would attempt to invade because the very real threat We The People pose to such an attempt. I would also point out the historical conflicts fought by a people defending their freedom from would be aggression. Finland/Norway/Sweden, are great examples of this, no one has ever succeed in those countries because the citizens are all armed!

Good luck to you, this is a pretty big challenge!

Also consider citing the 1946 Battle of Athens, Georgia, where a bunch of crooked local pols tried to steal and strongarm an election and the native sons just back from WWII with their Garands wouldn't put up with it. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews