JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
'' If I owned Texas and Hell. I would rent out Texas and live in hell'' :s0087:

Philip Sheridan 1866
rollinglaugh.gif

Having lived in TX for 3 years ('03-'06) after living in Wetland since '99 it took months for me me to stop looking up and wondering what that big flaming ball in the sky was. BTW, I loved living there and still miss it.

My Dad lives in Texas (Tomball, nw of houston) - he generally likes it. Sales tax is like wa - varies all over city to city. He had a car totalled earlier this year from 1" hail. His Saturn looked like a golf ball after a few minutes of hail.

They had big floods this summer. There are gators in the parks by his house. Their electruc bill is $350+ a month in summer to cool a 4 bedroom home. Property is relatively cheap. People are nice. Gas is cheap. I have a 13 year old brother in the boy scouts down there and they camp once a month minimum. They head north toward Austin to camp in the summer.

Texas hill country is gorgeous.

My dad does b&m about liberals invading local government. Houston has a liberal mayor who makes her "alternative sexuality" an issue all the time.

We are contemplating escaping to Texas if the libs here go full retard on gun control next year. Texas or Idaho.

Texas gave us Bush, but they also gave us Cowboy Cheerleaders. Gun mfgs are flocking to Texas. Shall issue chl, all nfa goodies. Private sales are good to go.

Gulf coast is beautiful and good fishing.

I've thought about the Texas thing too. I have some family there so that's some kind of plus I think.
Right now when I want to dry out I go to Death Valley and when I want to pop a hog I go to Paso Robles California. I always just use a regular ol handgun.. more sporting never missed yum

You would want to have your residency in Texas.

If you are an Oregon resident, make any money in Texas... Oregon thinks they are entitled to double tax. Sure sucked for me years back when I worked in multiple states only to find out I was taxed again on those wages at the same rate of not higher from Oregon.

Residency plays a big part if I were to make that decision.

I would look rural maybe NW corner. Avoid the coast and their "issues".

Surveys like those often make a lot of assumptions, many of which would probably not apply to me.

#1 I won't be living in any city

#2 I won't be living there year round - in fact, most of the time I will be traveling.

#3 I won't be buying a lot of stuff there

My main problem with Texas is the distance from Oregon.

I might just find a little snippet of land or something in Nevada near Carson City or Tahoe where there are some trees, setup residency there. Or maybe Flagstaff AZ.

The idea is to find someplace with low or no income tax and reasonable gun laws so my guns would be safe, and I could buy them privately without records.

There's lots of fulltime RV'ers that set up "residency" in a particular state (I don't know which one), have a PO Box there and have their mail forwarded to whatever town they're in at that time.

Just to be clear, I have a one ton Dodge 4x4 with an 8x12 flatbed I am converting into an RV. I plan to be moving around, not just go live in one place. But it would be nice to have a couple of acres with a well and septic system I could park the RV on.

That said, I can probably work something out in a "free" state with low or no income taxes.
Look into being a "legal resident" of South Dakota, spend a couple days there, set up a PO BOX, DL, etc. and then roll wherever you want.... It's one of the states with a ton of bennies from being a "resident" of but you don't have to live there. Very popular with the retired and often touring around the nation RV crowd for exactly that reason.

Brutus Out

There's lots of fulltime RV'ers that set up "residency" in a particular state (I don't know which one), have a PO Box there and have their mail forwarded to whatever town they're in at that time.
I've had a PO box as a mailing address for decades.

This is mostly for privacy, but also to make it a little harder to find me - to give me a little breathing room if I needed it. ;)

For a while that worked fine.

But then the USPS required all private postal services to keep a record of your actual residence address.

Then most states required that drivers licenses must be issued to an address that is an actual residence - it can't be a PO Box, an address that is a private postal service or even just a business address. They can now look these up on their computer and reject them immediately.

So now, in most states, you pretty much have to have an actual residential address somewhere in the state, for at least a short period of time - usually long enough for them to send you your permanent driver's license. Then you need to maintain it so they can send you your renewals for the tabs on your vehicles. If the renewal notices gets returned then they expire your license plate.

The gov. really really wants to be able to find you if they want you for some reason and they are making it harder and harder for the average person to live a somewhat incognito life. A lot of this stuff is public records too; I get junk mail all the time for life insurance, mortgage, funeral homes, etc., at my home even though my mailing address is a PO Box. These people trying to sell me stuff now know where I live I have a mortgage, they know who I work for and how much I make, they know how old I am and other things just because I bought a house.

Apparently S. Dakota has made accommodations for snowbirders such as allowing them to use various mail forwarding services, etc. as a legal residence.

You do need to show up in person to get your driver's license, but it would be worth it to me.

Also, their gun laws are as good as most and reasonable enough.

Thanks.

Now if they will just keep it this way until after I retire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top