JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a virgin stripped AR lower in Oregon and am hoping this route will work.

Build it as an AR pistol with a 10" 300 upper. No need for any Form 1 or 4 here. Correct?

At a later date:
Pay tax stamp for SBR - once approved - I can add a stock.

I know I can't use a lower that has ever had a rifle upper on it, but I'm not clear on vice versa. Anybody here steer me in the right direction?

I think that it has to be a pistol or a rifle. I dont think that you can add a stock. I am not 100% sure but I think once a pistol always a pistol and same with rifles.

I think that it has to be a pistol or a rifle. I dont think that you can add a stock. I am not 100% sure but I think once a pistol always a pistol and same with rifles.

Can you elaborate here? I was under the impression that in Oregon your lower didn't need to be registered as either a rifle or pistol - so how does the governing agency determine whether you've had a pistol or rifle set up?

Once an SBR always an SBR... You can convert a pistol to a SBR, and even slap it back to a pistol, but the lower receiver will always be a registered SBR and must be handled as such, AND will require a NFA transfer ($200 fee) if you decide to sell it, or will it to a heir, unless you initially register it under a Revocable Trust and have any/all heirs listed on it as trustees. Then it can go on in perpetuity as the Trust is the entity it is registered to and the trustees can be added/removed to suit your needs.

Once an SBR always an SBR... You can convert a pistol to a SBR, and even slap it back to a pistol, but the lower receiver will always be a registered SBR and must be handled as such, AND will require a NFA transfer ($200 fee) if you decide to sell it, or will it to a heir, unless you initially register it under a Revocable Trust and have any/all heirs listed on it as trustees. Then it can go on in perpetuity as the Trust is the entity it is registered to and the trustees can be added/removed to suit your needs.

Sorry that not true. You can send a letter to the ATF asking that an SBS/SBR/AOW and even DD be removed from the registry once it is not longer in a NFA configuration. It can then be sold, handled, traded, ect like a Title 1 firearm again.

Your statement would be true for Machinegun and Silencers though.

You're right, and I almost second guessed myself about that and shoulda listened. I was trying to convey the deal for "everyday" use. You can't have it as a pistol then register it as a SBR, then put it back to a pistol by taking off the stock and any VFG'S thinking you can "legally" take it into a place like Washington State, then back to a SBR once back into SBR country.... Once a SBR always a SBR (in that context).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews