JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as this year comes to an end, and I just got back from up on the Mountain, I am thinking about today's jaunt and the 3 new shooters I have taken out this year and the things they have taught Me...

In no particular order:

-"My cheeks hurt from smiling so much!" - and Hearing things like it, is one of the best feelings ever; better then 10 bullseyes out of 10 shots hands down.

-Some people seem to be natural shooters and others not so much; same as with cars but those people get taught to use one safely just the same - they just may need to practice more and may never be quite as good at it as others.

-22lr is better then anything else to start with, and start moving up SlowlY. Don't be a YouTube video.

-Rifles are easier to hit what your shooting at then Pistols; let them ring the steel (or whatever) for awhile to give them time to work on the basics and build some confidence in the firearm and thier ability to control it safely before moving to handguns if at all possible.

-Lever, Bolt, Pump and Revolvers are more engaging and controllable then Simi actioned guns, start there.

-Teaching the basics makes me hyper aware of my form when I go to shoot and has really helped me refine my shooting in many different areas.

It's a great experience and a great way to included others in a sport they only know from Hollywood and the News.

I'm sure I have more but I'm short on time so I'll leave it at that. Add your experiences
, positive or negative if you want.

I always load one cartridge at a time for a beginner, no matter what the capacity of the firearm.

Had a young lady I was teaching to shoot with my Semi-Auto Ruger .22, shoot, then turn around and ask me, "Why does it only shoot once when I shoot it?" I just said, "Look where you have it pointed right now." (at me) That's why.:eek:

That brought the point home to her more than the previous 10 minutes of safety instructions. :rolleyes:

I always start new shooters on my dining room table with the guns, no ammo of course, and explain to their satisfaction how the tools work. Let them handle them, stress safety, stress an understanding of the workings of the weapons. No surprises on the range. Always works well to have them have a solid understanding on how the machines work. We always start with .22's, usually with the cans on them, so there is minimum recoil and little to no report from the rounds. My .357 wheel gun with .38 specials is really popular as the 'next step' if they are ready for it. From there it depends on their ability and interest, but even when the .22's are as far as they go, I usually get folks that say "...boy, I'd sure like to do that again..."....:cool:

start with blue gun, hammer hammer hammer cooper's 4.

then start out with 22lr. get them over the initial intimidation factor.

rifles are good, especially bolt actions.

create more pro-gun advocates today! take a newbie to the range ;)

I learned one thing a while ago.

Don't go shooting with beginners.
I have people ( usually at work ) all the time ask me to take them shooting. Everytime I just tell them which range they should go to.

Usually they don't have a firearm, and will just shoot up my ammo and then not pay up for it, and then make me not enjoy my much needed trigger time worrying I might get shot.
No thanks, I am quick to talk about firearms and teach as much as I can. Usually just try to beat in their heads the basics of safety.

My last manager always asked me to go shooting. I didn't trust him changing a light bulb so heck no I'm not going to be around you with a loaded firearm!
I just advised him to go to a range and take basic handgun course.

I have people ( usually at work ) all the time ask me to take them shooting. Everytime I just tell them which range they should go to.

Usually they don't have a firearm, and will just shoot up my ammo and then not pay up for it, and then make me not enjoy my much needed trigger time worrying I might get shot.
No thanks, I am quick to talk about firearms and teach as much as I can. Usually just try to beat in their heads the basics of safety.

My last manager always asked me to go shooting. I didn't trust him changing a light bulb so heck no I'm not going to be around you with a loaded firearm!

I'd take the competent ones and have them buy the ammo for both of you. You might not have people ask to go anymore:D

One thing I learned to do for real young shooters,a red dot is much easier for them to get hits immediately,than trying to line up 2 sights on the target. You watch young shooters struggeling to line up for a bulls eye target,then let them shoot a red dot,it's like night and day.
Heck, it even made the wife a xring shooter the 1st time she tried my 10-22 out.

I won't take just anyone, but if they have a reasonable number of sequentially firing brain cells, I try to take noobs whenever I can. We've got to build trust and understanding in the non-shooting community; I take that seriously. I can even claim a couple converts.....:cool:

I love taking beginners out shooting . Its one of those things they never thought they would enjoy and then they do.

I used to take a lot of youths shooting back in the day when .22 was under $10 a 500 rd brick and 7.62x39 was $89 per 1000 really it was not that long ago but now I can't afford that as often.

But it gave me a chance to explain to youngsters the importance gun safety and the reality of guns and what they can do vs what they were leaning from video games. and it was always a great time.

Good topic

One thing I learned to do for real young shooters,a red dot is much easier for them to get hits immediately,than trying to line up 2 sights on the target. You watch young shooters struggeling to line up for a bulls eye target,then let them shoot a red dot,it's like night and day.
Heck, it even made the wife a xring shooter the 1st time she tried my 10-22 out.

I agree to a certain extent:
Yes, for the ones who will only go to the range a few times.
To get them hooked on enjoyable experience at the range.

No.
It teaches them to rely on a battery operated device and does not promote skill or self determination.
If the batteries go dead they will assume they cannot shoot accurately. ..:confused:
Not flaming just pointing out some ways to enhance the knowledge the young need to learn iron first.:)

I think guys get to anal about what a kid should learn on.

some guys old school type say must be open sight (picture a old dude pointing his finger ) others say hey make it easy make it fun get a red dot . you guys are silly .

Here is what you do take your age minus the age of the child and realize you're old so lighten up the kid has many years to learn different ways of shooting . when one way gets boring move on to something more challenging, Mix it up a little find what they like best and mix it up again.

I learned with a 3x scope first , then open sites , I shoot quite well open sights but prefer a magnified scope . I don't care much for battery powered optics but think they are great starter tool after all they are kids and have many more years left on the planet compared to us old guys but also think to each their own.

As far as a dead battery goes, I think most kids can recognize a dead battery . I watched my 7 year old pick up and master a Iphone in 5 minutes . Kids now a days know more about electronics than us ole fuddy duddys will ever know. They are surrounded by electronics.

oh btw if you want them to shoot better tell them if they can out shoot dad you'll give them money it works every time. my 8 year daughter out shot me twice couple weeks ago with a .22 2x scope with cross hairs targets at 50 yards

Last Edited:
I think guys get to anal about what a kid should learn on.

some guys old school type say must be open sight (picture a old dude pointing his finger ) others say hey make it easy make it fun get a red dot . you guys are silly .

Here is what you do take your age minus the age of the child and realize you're old so lighten up the kid has many years to learn different ways of shooting . when one way gets boring move on to something more challenging, Mix it up a little find what they like best and mix it up again.

I learned with a 3x scope first , then open sites , I shoot quite well open sights but prefer a magnified scope . I don't care much for battery powered optics but think they are great starter tool after all they are kids and have many more years left on the planet compared to us old guys but also think to each their own.

As far as a dead battery goes, I think most kids can recognize a dead battery . I watched my 7 year old pick up and master a Iphone in 5 minutes . Kids now a days know more about electronics than us ole fuddy duddys will ever know. They are surrounded by electronics.

oh btw if you want them to shoot better tell them if they can out shoot dad you'll give them money it works every time. my 8 year daughter out shot me twice couple weeks ago with a .22 2x scope with cross hairs targets at 50 yards

I bring lots of different guns with different sights and let them shoot whatever they want. We start with a .22 rifle no matter what, but once they're competent and comfortable, they can shoot whatever I've brought. It's a bit of a walk so I make them carry a lot of the stuff anyway. :D I like to go .22 rifle, 223, .22 pistol, 9mm pistol and then whatever, but it's supposed to be fun, so I just go with the flow.

I've taken dozens of first time newbies shooting since I got active and competent 40+ years ago.

Ammo is my treat for the friends I invite. Guys who know it's my hobby and invite themselves get to stop with me and buy their own ammo on the way to the range. (At least that's how it used to work when you could still find it.) Never a problem there. I buy clays for everyone. And new shooters have always asked to cover the gas or burgers & beers.

Actually it's become increasingly rare to take noobs out (maybe 1-2 a year lately) because most of the NW people I know already have at least one of each (pistol, rifle, shotgun), not to mention bows, arrows and serious camo rain gear.

What I've learned is that women (at least the ones I've taught) are usually excellent students and good shots right off the bat. Yet another reason to be especially nice to the ladies!

When I get the chance to teach a new shooter the right way to handle a firearm safely, and they show that they were listening by following the rules, I let them start with a .22 rifle, then a 9mm carbine and to top off the day they get to handle the Thompson.
First rounds are single shot, then if they feel comfortable with the heft of it, it's switched to full auto, but with only 10 rds to start, then 30, then the 50 rd drum.
They are always grinning ear to ear after they rattle off a full 50 rd drum.
I generally reserve letting them handle pistols for another day until I am satisfied that they can focus on maintaining strict firearm safety protocols.

I have found that kids even unruly young teens listen and pay attention better and are safer than most adults I have taken out . I start on the drive up by telling them about every one I have personally known that has been killed in a shooting accident .

I have been most impressed by them but indeed some adults must have forgot how to listen and learn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top