JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the sounds of it, it happens so fast that there is no chance to react before the thief starts running away, and no chance to catch him to deliver a well-deserved beatdown. :(
I was thinking this as well. Time to safety film the side winders of yer ride...

Remember, the crud from larger cities has a tendency to spread like unattended Silly Putty...

Article shows a common and frequently deadly occurence in South African daily life (and many other 3rd world S…-holes). In the beginning it was a simple rock through the window smash and grab. Cellphones, purses, bagged purchases, laptops etc.

Every intersection with a trafic light and traffic anchoring victims in place. Often a group of 10 or more (gang) would move down a row trapped cars and pick several in a few seconds, before rushing off and escaping.

Then some victims started fighting back, and all hell broke loose. The gangs responded by being pre-emtively violent up front.

Victims armed themselves, shot back and ended up in front of a magistrate fighting for their freedom. Try defending your "right to your stuff" over some 20yr old skinny punk that you shot in the face as he leaned in to swipe your stuff, having smashed a car window.

Totally a no win situation.

Considering that pretty much only a certain political leaning type live in San Francisco, it's their own fault.

I feel no sympathy for this.

maybe better yet move from a demorat sanctuary state to a state that cares more about its citizens than they do the crims ,

That's really funny considering your profile pic says "Portland". :p:p;)

It's behavior one might encounter in a third-world country. These "that could never happen here" events are happening more as we shift deeper into a two-tier society.

Be prepared.

Yes, I was thinking Brazil... have watched a bunch of Youlube vids about street crime there.

I was also thinking bulletproof glass oughta make a difference if one has to live there.

Story about License Plate numbers....

OK, so more than 20 years ago this happened in HI. A beach theft occurred. Typical grab the beach bag from a tourist and run like hell to a waiting get away car. OK....the victim got the lic plate number of the car.

Later, the police followed the trail (via car's plate). They found the car and the actual driver (he admitted to driving).

BUT THEN.....

The driver claimed. That he had picked up a guy (suspect). He said that he was just helping a guy out. The suspect/guy told him to stop and wait on the roadside next to a beach. So he did. Next thing you know.....the suspect/guy comes running back to the car with a beach bag and tells him to "step on the gas". He did, as he was scared. He claims that he doesn't know the guy and left him off in town about 10 miles away from the beach. The suspect/guy was last seen running off between buildings. LOL.....description sounds like anyone/everyone.

I personally don't believe the driver (he has a record for minor thefts). And you know that, in most circumstances a prior record can't be used in court (one very limited exception though is, "modus operandi"). But, this wasn't his M.O. and you know. The driver had found Jesus, since the last time that he was caught.

The detective said that we'd probably loose in court and probably the prosecutor wouldn't even begin to go for this. Just a waste of time. The driver alone, without actually catching the thief and corroborating evidence (to prove more involvement was a fantasy).

Bottom Line: What was the use of a Lic Plate in this instance?

So, carry that further.....
Think of the S.F. thief. And, think of those "innocent passengers/driver" in the get away vehicle. If you shoot at the "fleeing perp's vehicle".

Perhaps.....it would just be better to shoot the thief as he is running towards the car? Hummmmm....

Aloha, Mark

Man that was a downer… brought back all kinds of "feelings"!
What can you do not to be a victim?
Figure out "tactical driving":cool:. It's not what you think.

When you charge your pickup/musclecar/SUV up the butt of the driver in front of you…. hammer the "pedal to the metal", and dive arround the slow @$#^%*!

yea you guys and gals know who you are :p

…... you end up at the next red light "trapped" for an eternity, with like minded drivers behind and to the side.
You are anchored in place. Organised crime recognizes you as a smash and cash opportunity. LOL

That "tardy" f%@&tard Prius or Tesla driver that sees the light changing 600-800 yards up ahead and taps off the pixies to a gentle calculated roll arriving at the tail of the traffic knot, just as you aggros move off…..

That is "tactical driving" at work.:cool: Think about it next time you tool through Portland.
If you keep moving, even slowly, you have options. You have a 6000# sledge hammer under your butt, but it only counts if it's moving.
"Situational awareness" "tactical driving".

live long — live purposefully

That's really funny considering your profile pic says "Portland". :p:p;)

Yes, I was thinking Brazil... have watched a bunch of Youlube vids about street crime there.

I was also thinking bulletproof glass oughta make a difference if one has to live there.
This type of smash and grab behavior is not uncommon in many large South American cities. I recall having those conversations with my wife when we were dating, she's from Peru and always worked hard at me keeping a low, non-flashy profile. I was a bit less aware back then :eek:

Article shows a common and frequently deadly occurence in South African daily life (and many other 3rd world S…-holes). In the beginning it was a simple rock through the window smash and grab. Cellphones, purses, bagged purchases, laptops etc.

Every intersection with a trafic light and traffic anchoring victims in place. Often a group of 10 or more (gang) would move down a row trapped cars and pick several in a few seconds, before rushing off and escaping.

Then some victims started fighting back, and all hell broke loose. The gangs responded by being pre-emtively violent up front.

Victims armed themselves, shot back and ended up in front of a magistrate fighting for their freedom. Try defending your "right to your stuff" over some 20yr old skinny punk that you shot in the face as he leaned in to swipe your stuff, having smashed a car window.

In S. AFRICA......it's more about one racial group vs another. As for justice......that also depends/hinges on the color of one's skin.

Aloha, Mark

Man that was a downer… brought back all kinds of "feelings"!
What can you do not to be a victim?
Figure out "tactical driving":cool:. It's not what you think.

When you charge your pickup/musclecar/SUV up the butt of the driver in front of you…. hammer the "pedal to the metal", and dive arround the slow @$#^%*!

yea you guys and gals know who you are :p

…... you end up at the next red light "trapped" for an eternity, with like minded drivers behind and to the side.
You are anchored in place. Organised crime recognizes you as a smash and cash opportunity. LOL

That "tardy" f%@&tard Prius or Tesla driver that sees the light changing 600-800 yards up ahead and taps off the pixies to a gentle calculated roll arriving at the tail of the traffic knot, just as you aggros move off…..

That is "tactical driving" at work.:cool: Think about it next time you tool through Portland.
If you keep moving, even slowly, you have options. You have a 6000# sledge hammer under your butt, but it only counts if it's moving.
"Situational awareness" "tactical driving".

live long — live purposefully

LOL.......Midnight Cowboy.

Hit a pedestrian? Situational awareness should be practiced by both sides.

Though I suspect that........in the Portland Riots (aka: "Peaceful Protests").......it's part of the plan by protesters. Just like how wearing a full face mask helps them to get away with committing crimes during those "peaceful protests".

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I am at the moment (SADLY, mind you) typing from downtown San Francisco where I periodically work. It's a total nut bin. Antioch is just to the East, across the Bay.

The whole area does require a level of safety awareness because of opportunists. Interesting "cultural" shift is that tech workers have flocked to the SF Bay Area from all over the globe.

When you think "tech"...you don't immediately think of "self-defense" or "personal awareness." And it shows. A quick look around and you'll see tech zombies staring down at phones and tablets while walking on city streets and sidewalks. Leaving laptops and purses out unattended in coffee shops and cafes. Driving around in the "hipster issued" Tesla flash car with Windows down to see and be seen, with a whole set of electronics and high dollar accessories laid out on the passenger seat for convenience.

I realize this is a VERY general statement with exceptions to be found- but the TECH culture isn't exactly filled with iron pumping, firearms training, martial arts practicing, meat eating people with a safety mindset and willingness to use force as necessary. Generally- it's HIP to be HIPSTER.

I am soooo not hipster. I do love my tech, but ....

I'll share though that as a California resident, I did have a rather frightening confrontation of sorts in downtown Portland. (Love Oregon BTW, this isn't a slam) Similar yet different when compared to the smash and grabs in the Bay Area.

While making my way in a sedan to a lovely brew house (McMinamins, I believe).... a woman in her 30s in Downtown Portland, nekkid as a blue jay, covered in body hair growth that was matted and obviously smelly, ran up to my window to scream about her passionate beliefs about a cause that was dear to her.

At that moment....I was wishing a big thug would have tried to smash my window for my iPad instead!

Emotional recovery time would have been quicker....

I want out of Cali. And I'm headed North with my voting power to help defend constitutional rights!

Rick Shaw

One thing I like about my Wife's new car. And many of the new cars today.
They have laminated side glass. It's a much better security feature.

It should buy you time to react and may even prevent entry?

Fast forward to the six minute mark and you can see how different these new windows really are.
On a side note. Your screwed if you submerge yourself and your car under water. :confused:

I remember reading where installing gas jets was a popular mod to stop car jacking in South Africa a few years back.:eek:
I wonder if all of those systems were confiscated along with firearms?:rolleyes:

I'm thinking, make a "TazerPurse" or "Tasercameracase" and place it on the front seat with an open passenger side window...
... so when a thug grabs the purse's wired handles ZAPPPPP ! :s0001:

(Tip fer Dummies; don't put anything of value or your ID in the purse)

It's not getting bad. It has been bad for at least two decades. Same with Sacramento. Unfettered illegal immigration, the welfare state, a Democrat supermajority, coddling the criminal class. It's the Ghettoization of the 1st World. It's not confined to just LA, Oakland or SF anymore. It's everywhere. Ignorant welfare queens who can't keep their legs shut are breeding the next carjacker, murderer and rapist as I type this.

Right and as they are running to the getaway car.....

Well, you can't shoot the thief in the back. Nor could you shoot a robber in the back. The police will probably never catch them. So really, is it perhaps the time to change the laws about the use of deadly force in the protection of property?

Some may out and out say, "NO".

I however, think of the old proverb about unforeseen circumstances.

Keeping in mind, that someone might just be, one pay check away from total poverty. Stealing a purse, say with a person's rent check or, money to pay for life saving medical care or, life savings that you were about to take to the bank, etc...? Perhaps, it should be left as a "personal choice" to use deadly force in defense of property (when a felony theft occurs)?

Aloha, Mark

True, we live pretty close to check to check.

Wife in school for her masters and kid in college - me at a good job but I think pays what I made 21 year ago.

Missing a large payment would set us back even further and could take years to recuperate from.

I'd hate to do it again but I've finally got a few firearms that aren't inherited but I'd be pretty devestated to have to sell my small collection again.

Friend from Washington DC said they are in the habbit of not having anything but there car keys on the key ring and no registration papers or anything with their home address in the cars because car jackings are a regular thing there.

I could see people in SF putting all of their bags in the trunk to try and combat this.

Or tint your windows real dark.

What was the state in the South (Alabama?) that made it legal to shoot carjackers? Sure put a stop to the problem there... they should try it!!!

I know Louisiana passed such a law back in the 90s. I recall some stories of motorist availing themselves of that option and the interloper being sent to the morgue.

As to what is going on in Frisco, I am not even remotely surprised. Its been a while since I've been down that way, but it was coming apart for a while, and my father and a brother were down there and told me it is pretty much an open septic tank. In my career field, I could be making more income in that area, but most assuredly, there is not enough money in the world to relocate to the Bay Area circa 2018.

That would sum up the progression of attacks and violence in Detroit for a decade before I left for Oregon. Part of the devolution involved a person (typically old woman) being doused in animal blood, acting injured and calling for help, hoping to elicit a good Samaritan response. We regularly practiced situational awareness, including not stopping for red lights if there was no cross traffic. Always moving, always looking, neighborhood watch citizen patrols every night - and it was a losing battle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top