JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read this article today and these stories always get me.
Not sure why I always feel an attraction to these, but I always feel a strong pull to go help.
I wish it was closer and I would be out there for sure.

Any ways I wanted to share in hopes some of you down in Southern Oregon may keep an eye out.

The Tragic Story of a Hunter Who Disappeared

I'm obligated to point out and tell you that you're compelled to these scenerios because you're a decent human being.

Well somewhat. But I was certified in Search and Rescue when i was 12yo.

I always had a passion for that. I've always felt so comfortable in the woods and haven't ever been lost, but can imagine how scary that must be.

Having spent 10 years in ESAR/WSAR in the PNW I understand how you feel. This type of thing happens all too often and when there aren't any answers to the question of what really happened.

I always had a passion for that. I've always felt so comfortable in the woods and haven't ever been lost, but can imagine how scary that must be.

That's why my damn packs are too heavy and I have 4 of everything lol. Never been lost but if I ever am I'll be comfortable.

Hope this story ends with the hunter found.

My maternal grandfather who was a merchant marine in both WWI & WWII, used to hunt and work in logging camps (as a sawyer, back when they used steam power) in SW Orygun. He was an outdoorsman of the old school.

Even he got temporarily lost for a few days once. Rugged country.

Lost is a bad thing, broken or damaged as in heart attack, falling on a stick or getting hit with a widow maker are things we never think of but happen far to often. I remember this being on our local news station for some time. Very sad story and I am sorry for the family.

amazing how many people walk into the woods and never come out, here in Oregon.
Climbing over two old growth blow downs near the top of a ridge, I slipped down between them and fell in so tight I could not draw in air to breathe. Trying to keep from full on panic for that reason alone was hard, then trying to worm out of the position I was trapped in took much more time and energy than I expected.
Another time I crossed a cut between two ridges that came together on a steep slope and slid into an unseen notch up to my neck. Thank God for the salmon berry's that held me from sliding all the way in. My feet never touched the bottom and I was just getting snugged in from the free fall when they stopped me from going all the way down.

Pre-GPS days, my fully armed 32-man platoon was "lost" (because there was no real terrain features to reference) for the better part of two-weeks in a triple canopy jungle (and had to forage) within a Central American country that shall remain nameless...

It was among the most sh1tt1est, and scariest things I/we ever endured. I'll NEVER EVER go back there for a holiday, I don't care HOW strong the dollar exchange rate is!! o_O

This is heartwrenching to say the least. Not knowing has to be the WORST feeling in the world.
AS a small child in the 60's we had spent many restless days & nights just waiting on any word of my father who was on TS missions somewhere in the world (we never knew where)....
I feel for this and every family so I will say a prayer for them that they may soon find the answers they need to move on.

There's way to many slippery things in those western Oregon woods to get hurt on.
Unfortunately, there are way too many people in the Woods these days who really don't belong. I'm not saying this guy was one of those. I've worked SAR in more than one State and Country(for that matter) and I'm of the opinion that the greatest Danger is people. It's one reason NOT to go into the woods alone or unarmed.:(:(:(

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews