JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its funny in the last 17 years I doubt I have been hunting more then a total of 3 weeks a couple days here and there. This is due to my work Driving a Dump truck for a paving co. Sept Oct and early Nov are our worst time to try to get time off. Sure every year a few guys who pull an elk tag or something get time off. BUT I keep working. As a result The house is paid off the Bills are paid and in 38 months I retire. at 67 and I plan on hitting every hunting and fishing season until I croak. And I been working hard enough the retirement savings is going to allow that.

Dad and I in 1952. Fly fishing on the Yuba River.

JohnDadFish - 1.jpg

We hunted and fished together at every opportunity.

A151.jpg

He died 40 years ago. I think he was ready. He couldn't go above 3000 ft elevation due to his heart, and his favorite places were all at 6000+ feet. I put his ashes here, at 7000 feet, above the source of the American River, one of his favorite trout streams.

carsonspur.jpg

You guys are lucky to have Father's in your lives who taught you those life skills and spent time out in the woods.

My Dad took off when I was around 5yo, then got a stepdad at 10yo but he had already raised his kids and wasn't much interested in raising more.
He took me one year for deer season, but seemed like there was more drinking then hunting.

I didn't start hunting until I was about 30, I had to teach myself and it was several years before I bagged anything. Still 0/8 on elk.

But it was a great experience. I'll be teaching my kids when their old enough.

Kf338, I would encourage you to take up the mantle and carry on.

I am never closer to my Dad than when I am hunting. It is his voice I hear when I have a choice to make. It is his voice I hear when I make the right choice and it is his voice I hear (albeit somewhat more abrupt) when I make the wrong one.

Carrying one of his guns magnifies the intimacy.

The greatest favor he ever did for me was saving me the horror of seeing him in a care facility. He drove off at the age of 80 going to a gun show that did not exist, and died of a heart attack trying to get his truck out of the snow. I also thank God that he was finally located 40 miles away from any conceivable place I searched for him for 6 days. His dog in the cab survived.

If in a care facility and if he'd asked me to bring him a Colt, I would have done it.

As I know he would have for me.

You guys are lucky to have Father's in your lives who taught you those life skills and spent time out in the woods.

My Dad took off when I was around 5yo, then got a stepdad at 10yo but he had already raised his kids and wasn't much interested in raising more.
He took me one year for deer season, but seemed like there was more drinking then hunting.

I didn't start hunting until I was about 30, I had to teach myself and it was several years before I bagged anything. Still 0/8 on elk.

But it was a great experience. I'll be teaching my kids when their old enough.

My dad taught me how to pay a guide to fish for us and smoke cigars. o_O

Same as you I am learning how to hunt from friends, and hope to be able to teach my kids how to connect with nature.

My cousin is ready to retire. He posted this ad on Facebook:

Man's man For Hire

Recovering lawyer and career prosecutor looking to start life over as a butler, valet and ghille for a gentleman and his household.

Accomplished fly tyer and fisherman, amateur poet and philosopher. Can also double as cook, driver, tutor, gardener and bodyguard. Versed in the classics and the operation of most firearms, impeccable taste in men's clothing, liquor and cigars. Willing to train as sommelier and accompany you on safari. Anxious to relocate to the English countryside or manage your properties in Colorado, Montana or Idaho. Must provide health insurance.

My cousin is ready to retire. He posted this ad on Facebook:

Man's man For Hire

Recovering lawyer and career prosecutor looking to start life over as a butler, valet and ghille for a gentleman and his household.

Accomplished fly tyer and fisherman, amateur poet and philosopher. Can also double as cook, driver, tutor, gardener and bodyguard. Versed in the classics and the operation of most firearms, impeccable taste in men's clothing, liquor and cigars. Willing to train as sommelier and accompany you on safari. Anxious to relocate to the English countryside or manage your properties in Colorado, Montana or Idaho. Must provide health insurance.

Better toss somthin' in there about Dads and huntin or the Topic Police might show up here.:)

I could never get my dad to go hunting, he just wasnt into it, he grew up in the hills on a homestead and hunting was a way of life . He couldnt understand why anyone would do it when they didnt "need" to. The man knew where everything was up in the hills though , he was a wealth of knowledge on the old days up there. Still miss my dad and he's been dead 20 years now.

If he can sit he can still hunt, my best times were with my Dad. Take him out to shoot ground squirrels, like kids at the shooting gallery at the fairgrounds. Non stop laughter. Pivoting benchrest in the truck, no walking involved, just drive to the next spot.

F024DB74-C768-4009-8356-7B75CD246112.jpeg 8051CA0C-E2E2-40F7-8C53-5B58E3B02CC9.jpeg

I could never get my dad to go hunting, he just wasnt into it, he grew up in the hills on a homestead and hunting was a way of life . He couldnt understand why anyone would do it when they didnt "need" to. The man knew where everything was up in the hills though , he was a wealth of knowledge on the old days up there. Still miss my dad and he's been dead 20 years now.
When you HAVE to do something as a youngster, it tends to turn you off of it as an adult.
My dad grew up in the depression. They ate chicken every night, because they HAD to. They raised chickens behind the house to survive, since his dad, who was an inside carpenter, was out of work.
As an adult, whenever mom would make chicken for us kids, he'd only have a couple of pieces.
Had a hard time stomaching it....I'm the same way with Turkey Ham. Loved it for too many years. Now I can't stand the sight of it.

Dean

WHOA, hold on there! :eek:

I'm in my mid 50's and I still get after it like a big dawg on this....
View attachment 807553

And NO, I do NOT own a sports car nor have a 20 something bimbo mistress.

55 is the new 35. :D;)
Nice! I have an 06 CRF250X myself. I ride with my rapidly growing grandson. I'll quit riding when I can't do it anymore. One of our customers gave me a little grief last summer cuz I kinda wadded myself up and missed a little work. Then he told me his dad rode dirt bikes until he was 72! I aim to pass that mark.:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top