JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@Geardo passed along a video showing a Police shootout using ARs. At about the 25 sec mark, one Officer performed what appears to be a Tac-Load. Officer re-engages, fires one round, the rifle stops…Officer racks the charging handle and the magazine falls out.

In my Run The Gun Rifle course, we specifically address this problem. Those of you that have been through it…feel free to chime in with your experience.

The Tac-Load…a load where you've fired some rounds, unknown of the round count, and now you either need to move to another location, or cover someone who needs to do the same. Either way, you don't want the rifle to run dry in the middle of yourself moving, or you trying to cover someone. Worst case scenario…your team mate dies while moving to a location because you didn't perform the Tac-Load correctly by checking your equipment function prior to the deployment.

Tac-Load equipment check…make sure each and every magazine you have in your loadout will easily insert and click into place in your chosen rifle, and it should be mandatory, and that includes any and all teammates.

During Run The Gun Rifle class, I have each student take 2-3 or more magazines, fully loaded (30 Rounds), and with the bolt forward on the rifle, insert the magazine and make sure it will seat without a lot of force. The force needed to seat a magazine in this situation should be not much more than seating a magazine with the bolt locked back.

The student usually finds 1 or more magazines that won't seat at all, or with a lot of fighting involved. With such magazines, we down load by one until we achieve the desired goal…easy seating of the magazine under any environmental condition…meaning day or night, in any weather, and in any shooting position. I find a lot of magazines will need to be down loaded by more than 2-3.

In my team we had to do two things; 1 - We had to pass around every magazine we were going to use in our load out to first make sure that every magazine used would seat in all teammate's rifles. 2- We had to pass around loaded (30 Round) magazines to make sure all would seat all teammates rifles with the bolts forward. If at any time during the first phase, one would not seat…it was discarded from load out. In the second phase, if any would not seat with 30 rounds, we all down loaded every magazine 1 round and passed them around again. If that didn't work, we'd keep at it until we had every loaded magazine seating in every teammate rifle. The magic number seemed to be 25.

I have seen some magazines seat overloaded with 31, and some couldn't seat with 23 rounds.

Many years later I'm reading Clint Smith's book Urban Rifle, and in that book, he stated that 25 seemed to be the magic number as well…interesting.

I'm not advocating that you down load your magazines to 25 rounds, but two thoughts. 1 – Make sure every magazine you have will seat in your rifle, and will also seat fully loaded with the bolt forward, and 2 – If you work in a team environment, make sure your magazines are fully interchangeable with your teammates.

Do your due diligence to yourself and your team by doing your equipment homework prior to any deployment…whatever that may be.

@Geardo passed along a video showing a Police shootout using ARs. At about the 25 sec mark, one Officer performed what appears to be a Tac-Load. Officer re-engages, fires one round, the rifle stops…Officer racks the charging handle and the magazine falls out.

No doubt that "stuff happens". Even among those who are supposed to be the, "Professionals with Guns".

Police_fool_eotech_backwards.jpg
magazine_backwards2_TV_program.jpg
Beretta_Owner.jpg
1636566679529.jpeg
1636566753325.jpeg
1636566804315.jpeg

Rrrrright....

Only the Police and Military should have access to guns.

Aloha, Mark

PS....as for the reload. Yeah....practice.....with your equipment.

Last Edited:
Adjust the video to 1/2 speed and watch...after he brings the rifle up he clearly fires one round, then actuates the trigger at least two times before he racks the charging handle.

That was a lot of rounds sent down range with no apparent concern for the backdrop.

Odd since as we were instructed in the MCSO CCP training class; "as a private citizen you will be held accountable for each round sent down the pipe"…

It appears that he just pushes the mag up and does not try to pull it down to confirm it is seated, which would have confirmed that it was not. It's not a pistol mag. Good info on the mag loading, Mine seem good at 27 but I could see 25 as a safe number, that's what my home defense mags are at.

I've also see GunTubers post that they have never seen an actual tactical reload in the wild. Here is one for them to see.

While in various firefights ...I have re-loaded after firing a number of shots...but felt that I may need more than what I had in the magazine at the time.

This was usually done when I fired , then moved to a different position....or far more often...just before closing in on the enemy's position.
Never really thought of it as "tactical"...just thought of it as smart.

It is important to remember to fully seat your magazine and make sure that you have a round chambered.
Also if working with someone else....it may be wise to do this when that someone is covering you or the like....
And not when they may be exchanging magazines.
Andy

Ideally "smart" and "tactical" should be the same.
Maybe....I do see your point.
With that said....
Personally I am tired of seeing the word tactical applied to almost everything firearm related.

Learn from your experiences...apply what you learned to what you are experiencing now....
Be willing to do what is necessary to survive....
Understand that there are consequences for every action.....
Have a plan....but be flexible...as life often won't play by your rules or go by your plan....

In any event...sorry for the thread drift OP.
Andy

I used the phrase Tac-Load, short for Tactical-Load as that's been the common use term for decades. Personally, I don't care what one calls it, just as long as we all understand what is being done.

Also what is common knowledge is that applying Tactical to a product, ups the price by at least 65%

On a side note, there's a term I can't stand in the training industry...

Advanced...I've have sat in on many AARs both LE and civilian, I've not once heard anyone tell me that was an advanced gunfight they were in. But have had many say they weren't prepared for that, or the training they had was inadequate.

No such thing as Advanced firearms training, it's just skills you haven't learned yet...nothing more.

Getting back to the matter at hand...the point of the post is to exchange magazines in a bolt forward situation with ease, not having to fight your equipment.

Set yourself up for success in this important situation...check yourself, check your equipment.

Love tap (and maybe a tug)....for luck. ;)

Hummm..... Say that you've expended the last round in your clip or magazine. The enemy is still attacking. So..... Forget about employing the mechanical SAFETY for now. You're NOT on the range.

Anyway.....
Back in the M1 days......
You'd remember to tap the back of the clip (or tap the bullet tips-lightly) against your steel pot (or rifle stock) before inserting it. Then....once inserted. Dammm it.....get your thumb out of the way. Let the op rod fly (recoil spring will send it) home. Or you might have to give the op rod handle a slight palm push/tap to get it into battery. If it all went well.....now, you're ready to go.

Back in the days of the M14......
You'd remember to tap the back spline of the magazine against your steel pot before inserting. Rock it into the magazine well. Then, you'd give the bottom of the magazine a slight tap on the bottom and a slight tug. Just to make sure, that the magazine was latched in there securely. Retract the op rod a bit and let her fly home. If it all went well.....now, you're ready to go.

Then......
In the days of the M16/M4 and the other family/platform variants......you'd remember to tap the back of the spine of the magazine against your steel pot (or kevlar). Or speaking of tactical.....maybe against your leg (or whatever, as long as it's quiet). Then you'd insert your magazine into the mag well. Give the bottom of the magazine a tap and a tug. Just to ensure that it's latched properly. Slap the left side of your rifle (where the magazine release bolt catch is) and let the bolt fly forward. If it all went well......now, you're ready to go.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....DO NOT PRACTICE WITH LIVE AMMO. Unless and until it's 100% SAFE to do so.

Last Edited:
That video was stressful AF, can't say I'd do any better, even with training!

Thanks for demonstrating the real life version of something you teach in your classes.

Looking again, around 00:32.
It looks to me.....like maybe the magazine was inserted into the mag well backwards. Pay close attention to the curve of the 30 round magazine.

OR MAYBE.....it's due to lens distortion. Note: after the second try. The magazine looks better.

Is it/Was it.....poor officer or poor training? Whatever.....should I really care? As long as I use the correct pronoun, I doubt that someone would/could call me out for being a stickler for details. Yeah, IMHO.....that's F@#^ed Up.

Aloha, Mark

PS......on subsequent views......it does appear that the magazine's "window" is to the rear.

So....that would leave the likely probability of the lack of properly seating the magazine into the magazine well. Or the "fullness" of the magazine (number of rounds in the magazine) causing an issue.

MInd you that....I'm NOT commenting on the number of rounds expended in the first few seconds.

Last Edited:
Looking again, around 00:32.
It looks to me.....like the magazine was inserted into the mag well backwards. Pay close attention to the curve of the 30 round magazine.

OR MAYBE.....it's due to lens distortion. Note: after the second try. The magazine looks better.
Look again at the window of the PMag, it is at the rear which makes the orientation correct. Fisheye of the lens is probably right.

In the days of the M16/M4 and the other family/platform variants......you'd remember to tap the back of the spine of the magazine against your steel pot (or kevlar). Or speaking of tactical.....maybe against your leg (or whatever, as long as it's quiet). Then you'd insert your magazine into the mag well. Give the bottom of the magazine a tap and a tug. Just to ensure that it's latched properly. Slap the left side of your rifle (where the magazine release is) and let the bolt fly forward. If it all went well......now, you're ready to go.
You mean bolt catch, the mag release will drop the mag.

No doubt that "stuff happens". Even among those who are supposed to be the, "Professionals with Guns".

View attachment 1067733
View attachment 1067734
View attachment 1067735
View attachment 1067738
View attachment 1067739
View attachment 1067740

Rrrrright....

Only the Police and Military should have access to guns.

Aloha, Mark

PS....as for the reload. Yeah....practice.....with your equipment.
Good thing these are real photos and not off the internet, right. I call BS on the photos, fake news.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews