JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is made for you guys out there that are still resistant of buying a smart phone and for those that aren't taking advantage of it's full potential. There are literally millions of applications out there for smart phones. Most are stupid ad-filled, useless games. Nevertheless, some are VERY useful, and all were FREE!

So, lets go over what your smartphone can do or be...

• Flashlight
Most smart phones have a flashlight function through the flasher. My HTD Droid actually has a flashlight with multiple brightness settings and can be very useful.

• Pocket Medic
Certain applications like Epocrates and iTriage can literally save you a trip to the doctor. By simply clicking on the area of your pain or problem area and scroll through the list of symptoms, you can diagnose yourself and find out the appropriate treatment without ever seeing a doctor.

• Pocket Witness
A lot of people forget that their phone can be a huge help in the most stressful situations. Most people forget that their is a camera on their phone and that if they get into an accident they should take pictures of the damage and try to get a wide angle to portray who was actually at fault. You can also take pictures of key land features as you hike so that you don't get lost on the way back. Also, you can download recording apps that record phone conversations or just record anything that is being said within earshot of the phone's microphone (special note that you should be aware of your state's law when recording someone, especially phone conversations).

• Reference to Critical Tasks
You can download full manuals like the US Army's Survival Manual, and WikiDroid. With the latter, I downloaded the top 10% English viewed pages on my phone (although I had to upgrade the SD card to do so). I also have KnotsGuide, a complete reference to any knot imaginable. I also have ElectroDroid, which is a complete reference on anything electrical from battery AMP hours to rewiring your house.

That's all I can think of for now...other great apps I have for my phone are:
*Maps Ruler 2 (tells you the distance from two points on a map)
*Mil Dot Calculator (converts how many mil dots are needed versus how big a target is)
*IPSC Shot Timer (cool little timer app for range days)
*Smart Compass (an interactive, electronic compass)

A lot of these apps were reviewed from an article off of SurvivalBlog.com, so I can't take a lot of credit for the great finding of these applications. Other's were recommended to me by friends.

Are there any applications that you recommend? Obviously some of these are specifically for the Droid HTC phones (although I'm sure there are iPhone versions of them) but feel free to add your favorites!

right out of the box! just like OnStar!
Its claimed that one can disable that feature, but I beleive LEO can request those rights thru the courts ect.

A neat tool like original poster brings to light, but will it work in time of need?

As long as you can power it up...
Most smartphones do not depend on connectivity to run the apps, (depending on the app of course).
The GPS on my iPhone works even when I have no signal.

•Flashlight
Most smart phones have a flashlight function through the flasher. My HTD Droid actually has a flashlight with multiple brightness settings and can be very useful.

"THIS"^
makes you a Potential Domestic Terrorist
And lets not forget the RFID chipin the device

Most Smart phones only last a couple days on a charge.

And if your Smart Phone is hit by a EMP you really don't need to worry about how it will hold up as there will be nothing working to hold it up to.

an EMP is so low on my worry list as to not even bother planning for it.

•Flashlight

"THIS"^
makes you a Potential Domestic Terrorist
And lets not forget the RFID chipin the device

Foil wallet to block it?

Stealing the thread but:
I used to have this SF Medic buddy that spent his off hours knapping flint and making bow drills (he also practiced sutures on himself, using either hand).
So of course I asked him WHY? His reply was, if I had to ask, I wasn't ready for the answer.
Took me 20 years to figure that out

As long as you can power it up...
Most smartphones do not depend on connectivity to run the apps, (depending on the app of course).
The GPS on my iPhone works even when I have no signal.

Yup, I forgot to mention that. The Maps app will help you locate yourself via GPS in real time, even if you don't have a signal!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on apps and your own experience with smart phones guys!

Favorite new to me app is Mag. Light which is uses the camera and flash as magnifier. Finding that I use it often - trying to read small text and reading glasses not doing it - app for that. Need to see connection or labels beind the TV, just hold the phone back there and look at the screen - zoom in/out, light on/off, snap a pic to study/take to the parts store etc. Also have a couple of survival documents for reading and study and several medical apps.

Favorite new to me app is Mag. Light which is uses the camera and flash as magnifier. Finding that I use it often - trying to read small text and reading glasses not doing it - app for that. Need to see connection or labels beind the TV, just hold the phone back there and look at the screen - zoom in/out, light on/off, snap a pic to study/take to the parts store etc. Also have a couple of survival documents for reading and study and several medical apps.

Any documents or apps you recommend?

I really like "Here I am", using it I can text/email my family members where I am.
iMedjet is a first aid/triage program
Shot Timer Pro for firearms training
Sound Meter for measuring db levels
Strelok ballistic calculator

Thanks for posting, really good stuff here. I would never have it as my only source for a given tool or need, but it could be a handly supplement; depending on power sources etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top