JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is an idea I swiped a few years ago, I used a wrecked Yahama for the engine and tranny with reverse, and i use differential steering instead of slipping belts! A person could build one like this one for under a grand and these have about the lowest ground pressure and highest traction you will ever find! I use mine to haul firewood year round, and especially in snow!

If a person wanted to build a tracked rig like this but bigger, You can order track belts from GoodYear and built them any size and length you want! I ends up cheaper then Snowmobile tracks and you can hake them in any pattern you would want! TwoTrack Mind down here in Co sells belts and growsers pretty inexpensively as well and is also a really cool place to find parts!

Keep in mind, something like this isn't going to win any speed trophy's, they are geared to working speeds and payload in very rough conditions! They can also be very fuel thirsty! I really like the idea of a motorcycle for a STHF rig, a nice older Duel Sport or a enduro bike converted to Duel Sport specs would be the ideal!

<broken link removed>
Not gonna go far in the more dense timber in both Oregon and WA lol. may be too heavy for some of the trails, certainly will be OK on fire roads and gravel roads and out in the wide open spaces though. Definitely gonna be stuck if on the main highways with everyone blocking the way and being stupid.

As for the Mad Max quip' I have the 3 movies, and one thing that they get very wrong... the main thing is NOT gonna be fuel, it is gonna be WATER. Fuel is gonna be either burned out, used up, or hoarded by the Military groups, but the civilians aren't just gonna be able to get the fuel out of the large tanks in gas stations if the pumps are not running. (and they're more likely to be burnt out in a scorched earth policy by arseholes)

Yup, Fuel, Fuel, Fuel! It's all gotta run on something! My stores would be good for a few years with careful rotation and rationing so I got that covered, and the distances I would be traveling are not very far, so having a Plan that includes some sort of motorized rig is going to also need fuel stores and a means to protect and secure it as well as preserve it!

Seems like a lot of work and money for little reward. Id rather take all that time, money, fabrication of two track mods, maintenance cost, fuel storage and put towards extra water, food and medicine preps.

Even though my daily driver is reliable, relatively low miles Kia Sportage... at best it is an one way vehicle to wherever the family decides to shelter in place; and afterwards is gonna be sequestered/hidden until fuel and parts production gets back up or until can get donor vehicles and parts. During that time I would most likely be on foot or on bicycle with plenty of parts.

Seems like if the roads are that screwed up then you wont get very far on a two track or similar type vehicle.

Seems like if the roads are that screwed up then you wont get very far on a two track or similar type vehicle.
Exactly. Does anyone here really think roads are gonna be fine when theres a natural disaster? Look what happened during the 8 days of snow and ice :eek:
Edit. On the other hand... the two track thing may be of use off the roads... thru the farmlands, yards, woods if can fit... and if you can survive the farmers shooting at you.....

Mine I built as a farm rig for the harsh winters and to keep from tearing up my lower meadow when running tools and equipment, I figured because of it's size it would make a really useful rig for short distance SHTF running around, and it fits places and traverses areas even a quad has trouble with! It's not ideal for long distances unless you carry extra fuel, but it could be used to skirt a lot of populated areas and can take me deep into the wilds as far as I would ever need! My A.O. is High Mountain Ranches and farms, so not a lot to worry about up here, and the nearest City is over an hour away!

This was a production model... no doubt one could outfit a compact SUV similarly nowadays with either 4 tracks or two tracks and skis but this is mainly for snow and mud.

cd6697af1817c7932cf86c1572a98c1c.jpg

I live in the valley. We just dont get that much snow for the long periods... mostly I am concerned about MUD.....perhaps someone with fabrication skills and a shop could build a jeep style cab on top of one of those little construction caterpillar chassis? Like the Hitachi or Komatsu compact backhoes?

Edit; I know best for mud would be mud tires or mudder paddle tires but I do not have a high budget lol. Could use chains in mud though, its been done before

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top