JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So wait a minute.

I don't understand. The internals of my 10/22 are metal. The only plastic part is the trigger it's self.

Where am I not seeing the plastic trigger group?

So wait a minute.

I don't understand. The internals of my 10/22 are metal. The only plastic part is the trigger it's self.

Where am I not seeing the plastic trigger group?

The whole trigger housing (the only externally visible part is the trigger guard) is plastic.

Depending on when yours was made, if it's a newer one, I believe the trigger itself and the trigger plunger are plastic too. As PhysicsGuy said, the housing and the trigger guard would be plastic too.

Also one should consider BiMart is selling the 10/22 at a loss. So it's not so much people are asking more for their used 10/22, but BiMart is selling new 10/22's for LESS than used.;)

I need a 10/22 but every time I think about a BiMart special, I think about all the stuff I'd have to change right off the bat, which adds up $$$$. While I'm not gonna pay $200 + for an all factory new (plastic) 10/22 I wouldn't mind paying over new ($179) for a polished blued and metal model.

Well, do we want to shoot it, or do we want to look at it? :D

1. If I was going to customize a 10/22 I'd change my mind and buy one of the many new tacticool .22's. There are several out there.

2. If I wanted a sweet shooter I'd buy a nice used Marlin 60 for budget, or Remington Nylon 66 or 77 for more money.

But, then I wouldn't be cool. :s0112:

I have an OLD Stevens (believe it's a model 67A) .22 semi-auto. It has a horrible trigger and is a real beater, but it will put shots inside a nickel all day at 25 yds with iron sights from a rest. They don't have to be pretty to be good.

I have an OLD Stevens (believe it's a model 67A) .22 semi-auto. It has a horrible trigger and is a real beater, but it will put shots inside a nickel all day at 25 yds with iron sights from a rest. They don't have to be pretty to be good.

Oh, that reminds me of a Winchester 62A pump I had. It was near mint. Made in the '40's IIRC. I gave it to my son for his 16th birthday and he still has it. That was a sweet one but it wouldn't be cheap today, although I have no idea what it's worth. No idea.

Okay, so maybe I have a friend that's new to the sport and has a brand new 10/22 that’s stainless with the synthetic black stock. And maybe he has a plastic trigger and guard, and who knows what else… :)

So, I’ve already ordered an extended magazine release and an auto bolt release. I plan on ordering a Boyds stock next week.

Maybe some of you discussing the sub-par trigger setup have solutions. Where’s my biggest bang for the buck with trigger assembly parts?

On a side note, after only owning the stainless for a little while, I can pretty well say that if I buy another, it’ll be blued. I was too excited at the time of purchase to inspect the quality of the finish as critically as I wish I had.

Oh, that reminds me of a Winchester 62A pump I had. It was near mint. Made in the '40's IIRC. I gave it to my son for his 16th birthday and he still has it. That was a sweet one but it wouldn't be cheap today, although I have no idea what it's worth. No idea.

That reminds me of my idiot cousin. My uncle gave him a nice Win 62A pump that had a nice browning that the old blued guns take on after a while. He SANDED off the browning to make it look shiny! :s0054: Completely ruined the value of the gun and then sold it to a buddy for a case of beer.

That reminds me of my idiot cousin. My uncle gave him a nice Win 62A pump that had a nice browning that the old blued guns take on after a while. He SANDED off the browning to make it look shiny! :s0054: Completely ruined the value of the gun and then sold it to a buddy for a case of beer.

That's sick. :(

I believe all of the 62's were "take down" guns although I never broke mine down. I didn't know about it at the time.

Okay, so maybe I have a friend that's new to the sport and has a brand new 10/22 that's stainless with the synthetic black stock. And maybe he has a plastic trigger and guard, and who knows what else... :)

So, I've already ordered an extended magazine release and an auto bolt release. I plan on ordering a Boyds stock next week.

Maybe some of you discussing the sub-par trigger setup have solutions. Where's my biggest bang for the buck with trigger assembly parts?

On a side note, after only owning the stainless for a little while, I can pretty well say that if I buy another, it'll be blued. I was too excited at the time of purchase to inspect the quality of the finish as critically as I wish I had.

Frankly, bluntly, and rudely, I'm saying that I'd suggest that my "friend" never put another nickle in that gun. Shoot it as is or lose it, imho.

By the time your "friend" gets that gun to where it should be, "he" would have spent enough to buy a much better gun. BTW your "friend's" finish is sprayed on, deliberately rough to hide imperfections.

Also, 10/22's, fairly or not, have a rep of not liking all ammo, and of not being all that accurate compared to some others. Add to that a lousy trigger... OK, some of them are very accurate and feed anything, but there is this perception about them...

I have seen $1,000 10/22's. Things which make you shake your head...

Okay, so maybe I have a friend that's new to the sport and has a brand new 10/22 that’s stainless with the synthetic black stock. And maybe he has a plastic trigger and guard, and who knows what else… :)

So, I’ve already ordered an extended magazine release and an auto bolt release. I plan on ordering a Boyds stock next week.

Maybe some of you discussing the sub-par trigger setup have solutions. Where’s my biggest bang for the buck with trigger assembly parts?

On a side note, after only owning the stainless for a little while, I can pretty well say that if I buy another, it’ll be blued. I was too excited at the time of purchase to inspect the quality of the finish as critically as I wish I had.

Just shoot it.

If you decide it needs something else, change it.

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com to find all manner of things you can change.

I used to bag on 10/22s, but got one for the **** of it - it's a fine enough gun. It's also a fine project if you want to go full tilt. I'm actually disappointed that mine works as well as it does (stock except an extended mag release and a modified bolt release), because I wanted to project it up. Thinking about getting another to try out different parts for.

In the end, Whatever makes you happy - it's just a gun.

...I'm saying that I'd suggest that my "friend" never put another nickle in that gun. Shoot it as is or lose it, imho.
I don’t feel quite that strong yet. I could have sworn it was an inexpensive gun, which is sort of the point, since I’m just getting into things. As it turns out, a few things about it may turn out to be not just inexpensive, but cheap. That’s not ideal, neither is it the end of the world for me.
I’ve got a young son that’s interested in shooting, and a wife that’s not at all excited about it, though willing to give it a try. So I anticipate a few more 10/22 rifles in my future, precisely because the guns and ammunition are both inexpensive. I like to tinker with whatever is in front of me, and I see no reason to inflict any number of the bozo beginner moves I’m sure to make on a more expensive rifle. After I feel more confident tinkering with my toys, and have convinced my wife that this isn’t a passing interest, then I’ll be buying better guns.

So, if anyone has trigger advice, it would be appreciated. Perhaps I’ll start another thread for that this weekend.

Just shoot it.

If you decide it needs something else, change it.

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com to find all manner of things you can change.

I used to bag on 10/22s, but got one for the **** of it - it's a fine enough gun. It's also a fine project if you want to go full tilt. I'm actually disappointed that mine works as well as it does (stock except an extended mag release and a modified bolt release), because I wanted to project it up. Thinking about getting another to try out different parts for.

In the end, Whatever makes you happy - it's just a gun.

That's a bit more in-line with my sentiments. And I've scoured the web for 10/22 parts; turns out there's no shortage and everyone wants to sell them to me. :) I'm just having trouble filtering out what would make a difference, what's snake oil, and what's just too expensive to justify.

With the crazy prices for centerfire, a lot of people want a cheap training rifle for their family, and also the 10/22 is a hands down favorite at the 25 yard Appleseed events

That and no paperwork gets a premium

So, if anyone has trigger advice, it would be appreciated. Perhaps I’ll start another thread for that this weekend.

That's a bit more in-line with my sentiments. And I've scoured the web for 10/22 parts; turns out there's no shortage and everyone wants to sell them to me. :) I'm just having trouble filtering out what would make a difference, what's snake oil, and what's just too expensive to justify.

You could waste a few weeks at rimfire central and have a good guess. Plenty of little DIY stuff there - bed the stock, DIY trigger job. Not sure how much you can do with the plastic trigger group, but if anyone has it figured out it'll be there.

If you want to go farther, there are companies out there with real good reputations, I'd say that's a good place to start. I think for about $30 you can get a trigger kit that is a new hammer and some shims or some such. Volquerson (sp?) is a good name with a good rep.
Next step, I think, would be a new barrel if you aren't satisfied with your accuracy. Green Mountain seems to be the best bang for the buck there, and they have a lot of options. After that (maybe at the same time) would be stock change.

Then the sky and your wallet is the limit.

Have fun.

If you go handle the new stainless 10/22's and one of the 'older' models there are quite a few differences. The ones people are trying to get the most money out of are the custom or semi-custom models. Again, another reason they are so popular - easy to customize.
Cheers~

I agree that the newer models do not compare with the older ones. I got the '10-22 Bug' a year ago and all of the sudden I owned over 20 of them ... LOL

You 'can' do a lot with them if you don't mind spending some $$$. Here is one I finished up a couple of months ago ... all metal and it came out pretty nice ... :)

I've spent a lot of time on RFC exploring my options, and the consensus seems to be that if you just have a competent gunsmith work on your stock trigger you can get it to perform as good if not better than it would with a bunch of replacement parts from the various vendors that sell them online.

So, before you buy a bunch of stuff from Kidd or wherever, you might want to give a local smith a call.

That's probably the next thing I'll do to my 10/22.
Oh, and I whole-heartedly recommend extended mags with steel feed lips. Plastic ones wear out very quickly (I've got one I've only taken out a handful of times and it's about ready to be permanently replaced).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top