JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This could just be me but it seams like used ruger 10/22 are going for rediculous amounts of cash. What I mean is that I have seen these fun little plane jane USED 22's go for $50 more USED than you can find them on sale a Bi-Mart or Big5 BRAND NEW. I dont think I have seen one for sale for less than $200 on any site. And then if you add a $100 barrel and stock kit to it that automatically makes it go for $400.:nuts:

What am i missing?

Anyone else out there see this happening?

Please don't get me wrong, I do not see this as a bad thing, in fact I am thinking about making a few bucks too. I totally understand that price is relative to what it is worth to that person, i.e. if they like that particular stock set up and the few add-ons then why not ask top dollar and see what happens.

I am just curious if anyone out there has actually made money on selling a used 10/22.

:huh:Confused in the Couv:huh:
Otis

I regularly see 10/22's listed for $50 over what Bi Mart sells them for. I just wonder how many of those sellers actually get full asking price. Maybe they figure if they price them high to start they will get a better price in the end.

I have noticed the same thing..I actually first came on here to look for a 10/22 for around 100 bucks lol. But yeah that didn't happen.

$100 is not unreasonable, correction, it use to be unreasonable and now it is a joke. Just a year and a half ago I purchased (2) 10/22 for $250 and one of them was the stainless model. I bet that if i posed a plane jane USED 10/22 on here for $175, which is what I think Bi-Mart was selling them for last month, it would go in less than 10 minuets.

$100 is not unreasonable, correction, it use to be unreasonable and now it is a joke. Just a year and a half ago I purchased (2) 10/22 for $250 and one of them was the stainless model. I bet that if i posed a plane jane USED 10/22 on here for $175, which is what I think Bi-Mart was selling them for last month, it would go in less than 10 minuets.

No paper trail :p Maybe I should try putting up my plain jane 10/22 for 350 :s0155:

I can't see myself buying one of those overpriced 10/22's that have been listed on here.

I guess some peeps think that they are worth more than a new one????

I can understand one that's been modified with internals, barrel, stock, good scope, bipod etc. but not what has been on here lately.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a new 10/22, nor could you buy my mint mid-70's version.

Differences? The new ones have a plastic mag release, plastic trigger, plastic trigger guard, plastic trigger plunger, and plastic barrel band on the front of the stock/barrel.

The guns are no longer polished and blued. They have a rough "applied" finish.

The stocks are no longer maple. They are either softer poplar, or they are made of imported and ugly who-knows-what wood. You are likely to find defects and even knots in the wood.

The triggers now suck. What did they expect with all of the plastic parts?

IF I was going to offer my mint 70's example (which is never,) you'd cough up $400 or it would stay in the safe.

$.02

Gunner you are exactly right.
Ruger has changed the 10/22 and for a lot of folks it seems that the cost cutting has not improved the breed.
These guns last a LONG time and and "old" 10/22 has a lot of life in it especially since parts can be swaped so easily.
Many people want the all metal version with a real stainless barrel rather than the silver paint and polymer trigger group.
The blue one looks normal but the trigger group is also polymer and even though that may turn out to be as tough as the Ruger alloy trigger group, right now its not a desirable feature.
The older ones are definitely commanding a premium.
Think of it as the same as the "pre '64" model 94 Winchester when they tried to save money and created an instant classic in older guns.
Just my 2 cents.

I have an early 70's 10/22 that I will never sell. That was when they still put walnut stocks on them. I have put thousands of rounds thru that rifle and it still shoots like a champ.

I forgot to add that I would never buy an new one even for $169 or whatever the sales price is. I'd much sooner pay $129 for a Marlin 60.

That said, you still can't beat the Remington Nylon 66 or 77, a really nice example costing maybe $300 now. Imho that's the best $300 semi auto .22lr rifle ever made. Talk about dependable, long lived, accurate and sweet shooting. They will also eat anything for ammo. I wore one of those out at 100 thousand + + rounds but still have another "new" one in the safe. I believe I paid about $80 for it in the early-mid 70's.

I have an early 70's 10/22 that I will never sell. That was when they still put walnut stocks on them. I have put thousands of rounds thru that rifle and it still shoots like a champ.

That's a find. I don't recall every seeing a walnut stock - just maple. That must be one sweet gun. :s0155:

I would not trade my nylon 66 for several 10/22s. The 10/22 is a nice rifle but my nylon 66 just shoots and feels perfect.

I forgot to add that I would never buy an new one even for $169 or whatever the sales price is. I'd much sooner pay $129 for a Marlin 60.

That said, you still can't beat the Remington Nylon 66 or 77, a really nice example costing maybe $300 now. Imho that's the best $300 semi auto .22lr rifle ever made. Talk about dependable, long lived, accurate and sweet shooting. They will also eat anything for ammo. I wore one of those out at 100 thousand + + rounds but still have another "new" one in the safe. I believe I paid about $80 for it in the early-mid 70's.

I would not trade my nylon 66 for several 10/22s. The 10/22 is a nice rifle but my nylon 66 just shoots and feels perfect.

Yep. Once you've had one, you can't go back. I've had several friends shoot mine and immediately go on a quest to find one. Pawn shops, gunbroker... whatever it takes. Sweeeet trigger, accurate as heck, light weight, durable, no FTF, virtually weather proof - it's just the perfect combo.

That's a find. I don't recall every seeing a walnut stock - just maple. That must be one sweet gun. :s0155:

It wasn't a find when I bought it. I am the original owner. I bought the gun (well my Dad bought it) when I was 16. At that time they even made one with a full length walnut mannlicher (sp?) stock that I really wanted, but my Dad talked me out of it. I wish he hadn't as if you are lucky enough to even find one now they command big bucks.

Bought one with walnut stock in the early 70's at Larry's sporting goods OC. shopping center (now Fishermens) for $49.95 still have it, shoots great, but has always liked those CCI mini mags best. $$$

Differences? The new ones have a plastic mag release, plastic trigger, plastic trigger guard, plastic trigger plunger, and plastic barrel band on the front of the stock/barrel.

The guns are no longer polished and blued. They have a rough "applied" finish.

The stocks are no longer maple. They are either softer poplar, or they are made of imported and ugly who-knows-what wood. You are likely to find defects and even knots in the wood.

The triggers now suck. What did they expect with all of the plastic parts?

IF I was going to offer my mint 70's example (which is never,) you'd cough up $400 or it would stay in the safe.

$.02
Many guns and gun parts are plastic. It is being proven that polymer is a stronger, lighter and better than metal on many parts of the rifle. Not saying that is the same quality as ruger is using, but so what. Better is better.

The stocks have NEVER been maple except for a very select few. They were solid walnut until the mid 70's then switched to birch. There are still walnut stocks being made in the form of special editions and the DSP. The birch has always sucked but it is a good hardwood that EVERY manufacturer uses except higher priced guns

Ruger triggers have always sucked.

Many guns and gun parts are plastic. It is being proven that polymer is a stronger, lighter and better than metal on many parts of the rifle. Not saying that is the same quality as ruger is using, but so what. Better is better.

The stocks have NEVER been maple except for a very select few. They were solid walnut until the mid 70's then switched to birch. There are still walnut stocks being made in the form of special editions and the DSP. The birch has always sucked but it is a good hardwood that EVERY manufacturer uses except higher priced guns

Ruger triggers have always sucked.

I have never seen a good plastic trigger group. Maybe a trigger guard is OK, but not the crisp, metal working parts.

My early-mid 70's is maple. I can't speak for the others of that era. The new ones are the very soft poplar or an unnamed imported wood and you can see and feel the low quality.

The metal finishes are now rough and "applied" meaning painted on. They no longer polish and blue the guns.

I stand pat. The quality has dropped off. I can't favorably compare the new ones with the earlier ones.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top