JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Live your life as if it's the only one you have. 'Cause it is. Ya die, lights out, simple as that.

Sentient rechargeable batteries at best. Nothing special. No different really than the tree in your yard. Born, live, die, compost.
Damn Frank, I wish I could truly believe that. I'd have had no reason to have kids (why, they take your money and cause heartache), no reason to work, again why, just take what you want, who cares. If you die or I die, so what, we're just a pile of dirt. There would be no reason to be good to anyone (disclaimer, I'm a selfish SOB my nature), life would be all about me and what I want.

I didn't have kids, try to raise them with respect, integrity a good work ethic, and threaten all my daughters dates with physical harm if they hurt them, work 50+ hours a week for a nice home for my family just to have it all turn to dust. I gotta believe there is more to life than a bunch of random acts.

And, respectfully, I think science is going to prove that there is a God. There are so many unexplained phenomenon in the universe that scientists are just beginning to uncover and realizing the more we learn, the dumber we were/are.

Damn Frank, I wish I could truly believe that. I'd have had no reason to have kids (why, they take your money and cause heartache), no reason to work, again why, just take what you want, who cares. If you die or I die, so what, we're just a pile of dirt. There would be no reason to be good to anyone (disclaimer, I'm a selfish SOB my nature), life would be all about me and what I want.

I didn't have kids, try to raise them with respect, integrity a good work ethic, and threaten all my daughters dates with physical harm if they hurt them, work 50+ hours a week for a nice home for my family just to have it all turn to dust. I gotta believe there is more to life than a bunch of random acts.

And, respectfully, I think science is going to prove that there is a God. There are so many unexplained phenomenon in the universe that scientists are just beginning to uncover and realizing the more we learn, the dumber we were/are.
Well put. There are a lot of people out there walking without a limp because I believe in common decency. :rolleyes: Myself included most likely. Decency comes from a belief in more than just one's own self. I don't really care how you go about that, but I think it makes for better neighbors.

Just because we people are ignorant in the ways of what's really going on because they are restricted in their mind set and open mindedness. If I didn't see it, it couldn't be true attitude and there is no talking to them about it. There are so many things out there that are beyond our understanding that it befuddles the mind to believe that just because they can't wrap their minds around it, that it can't be true! So instead, they choose to simply dismiss it as lies told by other people and go blissfully ignorant throughout life.

Just because some people are ignorant in the ways of what's really going on because they are restricted in their mind set and open mindedness. If I didn't see it, it couldn't be true attitude and there is no talking to them about it. There are so many things out there that are beyond our understanding that it befuddles the mind to believe that just because they can't wrap their minds around it, that it can't be true! So instead, they choose to simply dismiss it as lies told by other people and go blissfully ignorant throughout life.

We weren't born for any more reason that the the tree in your yard or the neighbor's pet.

Something someone else wanted, or just a random incident.

There's no magickal being giving us purpose. Really no point in that in the long run, especially if a god knows all.

People who plan to have kids do so for the same reason they buy a puppy. They like the attention, affection and entertainment. The rest didn't bother to use birth control.

Way back when, I never wanted to have kids, but being 21 sometimes you think with the wrong head and I got that phone call from a girl saying we had a problem. She got pregnant. Long story short, we got married and had a couple more.

Life turned into a cycle of work, getting kids off to school, and going to church every Sunday. I used to really enjoy the church thing. Good people, good messages and gave me a reason to put up with the rest.

Fast forward to 2020. My oldest boy, 17 years old, had been dealing with some health problems for a couple of years. Had a bad hip. It had fallen apart, he could hardly walk, couldn't hang out with friends, couldn't go hunting with his father and there nothing doctors could do. We did a lot of praying, the people in the church did a lot of praying. "God" finally answered our prayers when we found a doctor that would do a hip replacement on a boy so young.

Day of his surgery comes, pastor shows up pre-op to pray, surgery get done, some more prayers thanking God and my wife puts posts out on anti social media that God healed our boy, he would be healed, his life would be good again and how there was such a bright future ahead of him. We brought him home from the hospital.

Next morning I wake up early to check on him, going to make sure he takes his meds and fill up his cup of water. Instead, I find my 17 year old son dead in his bed, cold and already stiff. I won't go into the rest of the details. This is where a bunch of prayer and faith in a "God" got us.

Nothing but heartache and lost hope by believing in fairy tales.

My two remaining children, well, I still teach them to be good people. I don't like bubblegums and I won't raise them. Their mom still dishes out the Jesus stuff. I let them believe it, because as you pointed out, without a reason to be good people there really is no reason to be. My reason is just to keep our family as content as possible until it's one of our turns to go.

The Bible does have some good pretty good messages- do unto others, love your neighbor, don't lie, cheat or kill etc etc. But, most of it is bullbubblegum.

The only part I have found to be true is that we will all return to dust. The proof is the box of ashes that sits on my dresser.

People who plan to have kids do so for the same reason they buy a puppy. They like the attention, affection and entertainment. The rest didn't bother to use birth control.

Way back when, I never wanted to have kids, but being 21 sometimes you think with the wrong head and I got that phone call from a girl saying we had a problem. She got pregnant. Long story short, we got married and had a couple more.

Life turned into a cycle of work, getting kids off to school, and going to church every Sunday. I used to really enjoy the church thing. Good people, good messages and gave me a reason to put up with the rest.

Fast forward to 2020. My oldest boy, 17 years old, had been dealing with some health problems for a couple of years. Had a bad hip. It had fallen apart, he could hardly walk, couldn't hang out with friends, couldn't go hunting with his father and there nothing doctors could do. We did a lot of praying, the people in the church did a lot of praying. "God" finally answered our prayers when we found a doctor that would do a hip replacement on a boy so young.

Day of his surgery comes, pastor shows up pre-op to pray, surgery get done, some more prayers thanking God and my wife puts posts out on anti social media that God healed our boy, he would be healed, his life would be good again and how there was such a bright future ahead of him. We brought him home from the hospital.

Next morning I wake up early to check on him, going to make sure he takes his meds and fill up his cup of water. Instead, I find my 17 year old son dead in his bed, cold and already stiff. I won't go into the rest of the details. This is where a bunch of prayer and faith in a "God" got us.

My two remaining children, well, I still teach them to be good people. I don't like bubblegums and I won't raise them. Their mom still dishes out the Jesus stuff. I let them believe it, because as you pointed out, without a reason to be good people there really is no reason to be. My reason is just to keep our family as content as possible until it's one of our turns to go.

The Bible does have some good pretty good messages- do unto others, love your neighbor, don't lie, cheat or kill etc etc. But, most of it is bullbubblegum.

The only part I have found to be true is that we will all return to dust. The proof is the box of ashes that sits on my dresser.
So sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. That was always one of my biggest fears when we had young children. Huge admiration for you in letting your wife and kids continue to believe in God, I'm sure it brings them comfort - and for still wanting to raise decent kids, that's a rarity these days :(.

From several personal experiences - yes. Not "scientifically replicatable" but I will share one of them

September 1980 I was literally on the other side of the world backpacking through the Himalaya near Langtang Himal. I was wore out and enjoying a nice dream when it was interrupted. Not from outside but from within the dream itself. The experience was much like when you are watching a movie when someone interrupts you to get your attention. The dream itself continued, but minimized like I had looked away from a television.

While the dream continued in the background I realized I was in the presence of a departed uncle and aunt, one from each side of the family, I was told that there had been a disruption in the family but that everything would be OK. I was also told that I might not get home until Christmas and that when I did get home nobody would meet me at the airport. They departed and my dream once again filled my consciousness as though there had been no interruption.

Back in Kathmandu a week or so later I found out that the runway at the airport had been damaged and was undergoing repair. It would no longer handle many of the commercial jets and so most flights, including mine had been cancelled. I was told it would be a month or two, possibly December before I could get a flight out. Fortunately one of my companions was a veteran Asian traveler and we were able to bribe our way on an aircraft about a week later and headed home on a very circuitous route.

Finally departing at Sea Tac I had to call my sister to let he know I had finally made it back. There had been few opportunities to communicate so all my family knew was that I had been delayed. They had no idea when I would get back or what airport so we had to wing it. A few hours later my sister picked me up and spent a day with her before heading south to Oregon.

By the time I met up with my folks I had learned that my Grandmother had passed away while I was gone. We compared notes and compensating for time zones and the International Date line she passed away at the same time my dream was interrupted.

As it turned out all three things I was told came to pass: delay, not being met when I returned, and a disruption to my family. I suspect my Grandmother was greeted and guided by the spirits of departed loved ones, perhaps the same that visited me.

You can believe the above or not, I really don't care. I just won't deny that there is more out there than we can measure and reproduce. A long time ago I came to the conclusion that science explains the how and religion explains the why and that they are not mutually exclusive,

Last Edited:

I don't know or understand how difficult it must be for you to put your thoughts into words here. I don't know you other
than on here and have no reason to patronize you. But you spoke the most difficult of messages straight from your heart.
My respect is enormous for you. And I certainly don't mean to distract from your post but I'd like to share a thought that
hopefully will bring you the smallest measure of peace. Just about two years ago I lost my oldest daughter to lupus. She
fought hard but it was not a winnable fight. I cant say I know what you're feeling because I'm not you. But because of
my loss I can say I have some understanding of the pain. My wish for you is that each day is in some small measure
better than the previous.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top