JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked in two-way radio shop after retiring from home inspection biz. When they started using Mag chloride on the freeway, I84, I started finding eaten up wiring that caused a number of failures on cars and trucks. I'm not sure how much the de-icer helps, we always have a huge number of truck accidents on the passes that close the freeway. A lot of truckers like to drive w/o chains too. So it's not just Portland. Me, I stay home. My doc wanted to send me to VA Walla Walla for some test which would have meant going over the pass yet again. Nope, see ya in the spring doc!!

I saw on the noon news that PDOT has 100 tons of salt ready to go.

IMO, the use of salt will give drivers false confidence and they will assume they can continue to be idiots and not take weather into account.

That's a good question. The more dissolved the salt is, seawater for example, the easier it is to wash off of surfaces. Large chunks of rock salt get packed into the nooks and crannies of cars, into places an under carriage wash isn't effective, and will continue to eat into steel.

I have worked extensively with metal my whole life. In an industrial setting, where the vehicles in my plant had to keep moving, the roadways and work areas were salted during snow or ice storms.. And the bottom of many of our company vehicles were rotted. The effects of salt on our electric-powered vehicles was irreversible. Once they saw salt, they had severe and continuing issues preventing them from even running without rewiring and/or replacing the electrical and electronic components. And that's in spite of many years of no snow, and no salt. Fences, guard rails, pipes, machinery, everything that was near the ground has suffered the effects of salt. And, I'll also admit, the coatings used on newer vehicles is superior to coatings used in the past. Even here, every little rock chip is a place for the salt to get started. So it may not invade as fast as in the past, but it still will invade.

Thanks Wayno, that helps. I hadn't considered larger salt crystals that could get lodged in nooks and crannies and sit there for the long term. I've been picturing the salt going down, washing away with the first rain and it's gone. But then again, I'm a PDX area lifer, so salt is completely new to me in this area.

The average age of the modern car is 11.5 years or roughly 200,000 miles...with that in mind, your cars will be gone long before the bottom rusts out. I can see if your rolling in a fully restored '68 Chevelle, but your Prius will not last long enough to see it.

I have a 7 year old Elantra that has driven in salted Mid-Atlantic winters it's whole life, except this winter and there is no rusting due to salt.

Last Edited:
I have lived here all my life and never have not been able to get around in ice and snow. You just have learn to drive in it and adjust for the conditions. First of Nov put snow tires with wheels on your car and chain up the ones you took off and put in trunk. I have never not been able to get around in ice and snow and during the late 60's, 70's & even into the early 80's when my employers shut down due to weather it was vacation time for me and went where I wanted. Today with all the know nothing wannabes that are totally unable to handle anything I don't have much faith in the future. The few that will survive are the prepared ones, the rest I don't think so. Here is a picture of the underside of a 23 year old car that has been here all it's life. I doubt if anywhere there is a cleaner underside.

Image1.jpg

Last Edited:
30 car crash on I-5 this morning:
30 cars crash on icy I-5 in Portland
There are places in this country with much worse weather. Why is it so unusual for those places to have this kind of stuff?

Instead of ODOT crying for people to stay off the roads, why didn't they have a layer of deicer down? It's not rocket science. Yes, I get it, it's unusual, but that doesn't justify ignoring it. News flash folks, Oregon isn't the only state with rivers that are also sources of water.

There are places in this country with much worse weather. Why is it so unusual for those places to have this kind of stuff?

Instead of ODOT crying for people to stay off the roads, why didn't they have a layer of deicer down? It's not rocket science. Yes, I get it, it's unusual, but that doesn't justify ignoring it. News flash folks, Oregon isn't the only state with rivers that are also sources of water.
That liquid de-icer doesn't do much to prevent glare ice. A heavy load of seasonal rock salt, contiguously applied does help.

But then you get into the crux of this conversation...rust & idiot drivers.

Studded snows only maintain a fraction of traction in ice, about 20% or so. Folks still have to SLOW DOWN for the driving conditions.

If "Portland's largest bedroom community" is The Couve then
Portland's smallest bedroom community is Oregon City?
(Ducking for cover!) :D

Hell No! :s0024: Oregon City has never been part of the Portland dysfunction at all! We've known that and believed it for as long as I've been alive. But...I'm sorry to say, as the filbert orchards and Christmas tree farms have all sold at the south boundary of Oregon City, the subdivisions are out of control, and Oregon City is annexing every inch of farm land they can get their hands on. And I can tell from the traffic and road rage, it's Californians and Portlanders that are buying into these subdivisions.:mad:

Lord give me strength.

WAYNO.

Hell No! :s0024: Oregon City has never been part of the Portland dysfunction at all! We've known that and believed it for as long as I've been alive. But...I'm sorry to say, as the filbert orchards and Christmas tree farms have all sold at the south boundary of Oregon City, the subdivisions are out of control, and Oregon City is annexing every inch of farm land they can get their hands on. And I can tell from the traffic and road rage, it's Californians and Portlanders that are buying into these subdivisions.:mad:

Lord give me strength.

WAYNO.

Unfortunately many of them are coming our way. I'm still in unincorporated Clackamas County, but OC has their eyes on our property and all those around us. I know we're going to have to move from here eventually, sad, because OC is where I grew up. I used to love it, loving it less as so many folks move here, clogging the roads, etc.

That bloviating try-hard LarsLarson wishes Oregon roads were salted. Any 5 seconds he gets a chance he calls for it on his radio show. I guess if I could afford a new car every three years, maybe I wouldn't mind them being salted too.

Unfortunately many of them are coming our way. I'm still in unincorporated Clackamas County, but OC has their eyes on our property and all those around us. I know we're going to have to move from here eventually, sad, because OC is where I grew up. I used to love it, loving it less as so many folks move here, clogging the roads, etc.

Explain this to me. A feller or his ancestors purposely buy a piece of property that's unincorporated. The nearest city might have been miles away. The city grows until it's next door to your property. On the next ballot, your property is up for annexation. The whole city votes on the annexation, and it's always, YES. Doesn't that take any and all control and/or rights away from a property owner? Shouldn't the property owner be the only person that should be allowed to vote on his property's annexation?

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
This is ridiculous.
One day of salt will not rot your vehicle!
You guys sounds like cry baby liberals.

Back east (I lived in Kentucky) they use tons and tons of salt for months on end.
Year after year.
This will rust your vehicle.
One day-1 week a year will do no more harm than going to the beach for the weekend.

Your arguement is completely invalid.

The few times a year that it's needed in Oregon make it easy to get your cars undercarriage cleaned frequently. We don't have temps hovering below 30 for months at a time like other states. The amount needed here is minuscule compared to cities where it stays cold longer. The picture below is Toledo. That's road salt under the tarps and will be gone by spring. They use that much and more each year.
toledo_dock_storage.jpg

Besides, if you believe the global warming people, we we'll have fewer cold winters here once the polar ice caps finish melting.

But at least those people don't have to worry about the salt rusting out their cars. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top