JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Explain this to me. A feller or his ancestors purposely buy a piece of property that's unincorporated. The nearest city might have been miles away. The city grows until it's next door to your property. On the next ballot, you're property is up for annexation. The whole city votes on the annexation, and it's always, YES. Doesn't that take any and all control and/or rights away from a property owner? Shouldn't the property owner be the only person that should be allowed to vote on his property's annexation?

WAYNO.

Good question. I've gone before the OC planning commission as well as the Clackamas County planning commission. They have big plans for our area and approved that plan 2 years ago, though it may still be years before anything really takes place. Unfortunately, we fall inside the Urban Growth Boundary, which is established by the will and whim of Metro. Annexation takes a simple majority vote of the local land owners, followed by a vote by the rest of the citizens. It's about impossible to stop if they really want it.

What we were told about annexation is that any citizen can initiate the process. Say that a neighbor (such as the one behind us, who has already tried this) decides to get their property annexed in order to increase their property value and sell it to developers. They have to get 60% of their neighbors to first agree - so say they have 10 neighbors in the proposed annexation zone - get 6 of them to agree, and it next moves to a vote of the citizens of Oregon City. Meaning, that 6 neighbors effectively forced the hands of 4 of their neighbors. When it comes to private property rights, that's B.S.

As for our rights, I think those get dismissed under the idea of eminent domain - they want it bad enough, they get it, and at a price that THEY set, even if it's not fair market value. Amazing how many folks vote these tyrants into office with no thought about what they do to the average person.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top