JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
$15 per hour for grocery workers/Wal-Mart ""associates"" and average prices at grocery /Wal-Mart stores, certainly did not get as high as fast as FF did :rolleyes:
You have to remember there is a HUGE difference in a store with hundreds of workers at each store, selling things like Wally sells, and some fast food joint that is often a franchise with a handful of workers. This is like comparing the cost of one item at Wally then at the stop'N"rob down on the corner. The price at the stop'rob is fAR higher. So are they just raking in cash selling the same stuff at a HUGE difference? If so those little stores must be gold mines.

There has to be more to it than just min wage and overhead

McDonalds... two cheeseburger meal.
Portland - Airport Way like $9
Vancouver - Salmon Creek over $11 (not just SC area, its about this much in most of Vancouver)
Again many of the stores are not owned by the Co. Anyone who wants one of these joints can buy a Franchise and put one up. From one place to another there can be a HUGE difference in the cost of that building. If one location charges 3 times as much in taxes? The guy who owns that one can't use the places that are far cheaper to average out the cost. He has to just pay the cost and then has to be able to sell stuff for enough to cover this. Want to see difference? Look at what a house of the same SQ footage and property costs to have in one place compared to another. The same house is NOT the same price in the same city or county.

Unfortunately since all the low responsibility jobs were sent to Asia uneducated Americans have to work at whatever job they can get. Thanks to greedy big business people. Support your local Mom & Pop businesses! Their fast food is healthier and better tasting.

Unfortunately since all the low responsibility jobs were sent to Asia uneducated Americans have to work at whatever job they can get. Thanks to greedy big business people. Support your local Mom & Pop businesses! Their fast food is healthier and better tasting.
Well often small single owner shops can make some GREAT fast food for sure. As for the under educated people have never had it better in my lifetime if they want to do better. There is a LOT of good paying jobs going begging due to so many who do not want to learn. This sadly is the result of generations given participation trophies and told they were special all their life. So time to hit the work world and they find this is not how it works when it comes time to make a living.

Tuesday night, Taco Bell at 182nd & Powell. Two mexican pizzas and a cheesy gordita crunch for Jeannie and I, $18. Across the parking lot, Papa Murphy's family-size pizza, $22. That pizza is dinner that night, lunch the next day, dinner the next night and maybe a slice for me for lunch again.

Stay frosty out there tomorrow

1000003264.png

Well often small single owner shops can make some GREAT fast food for sure. As for the under educated people have never had it better in my lifetime if they want to do better. There is a LOT of good paying jobs going begging due to so many who do not want to learn. This sadly is the result of generations given participation trophies and told they were special all their life. So time to hit the work world and they find this is not how it works when it comes time to make a living.
And New York and California were at the lead in doing this to their young people. So there's that.

And New York and California were at the lead in doing this to their young people. So there's that.
The VERY one party places are where all this 💩 starts and it spreads from there. It is both amazing and sad as hell to watch this slow motion train wreck. Trades that pay GOOD money and a startling lack of "kids" who will show the slightest interest in grabbing that brass ring being held out to them. The place I work will pay the lions share of the cost of school for many trades needed there. VERY few every take them up on it. To the point they are now offering large pay outs to employee's who can get someone from one of the needed trades to come and take a job with us. One co worker has a girl friend who just finished school. He is putting her up for hire and will get a 10K pay out for the referral. I have lost track of the times one of the low end workers has cried to me about needing more money. When I point out they can go to school and company will pay a large portion of the cost? Out comes the excuse book on why they just "can't" do that. One guy who started as a Custodian a decade back is now making enough to put him in the upper 1% as they call it. He is not getting rich but, he has a VERY comfortable life and due to the Co putting up so much of the cost he has no student loan debt to cry and ask others to pay for him. Its there for anyone who wants it. Sadly very few want it. :(

As of January 1, 2024, the state of Washington has the highest minimum wage in the country at $16.28 per hour. This rate is determined by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) and is adjusted annually based on inflation.

Local Minimum Wage Rates

In addition to the state minimum wage, several cities in Washington have higher minimum wage rates:

• Seattle: $16.39 per hour
  • SeaTac: $16.39 per hour
  • Tukwila: $16.39 per hour
These local minimum wage rates apply to employees working within these cities, as long as they are higher than the state minimum wage.

Key Facts

• Washington state's minimum wage is tied to inflation, with increases determined by the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).
  • The state minimum wage is reviewed and adjusted annually in August, with new rates taking effect on January 1 of the following year.
  • Local cities in Washington use the same formula as L&I to determine their minimum wage increases each year.

Yeah, as I was buying my Carls Jr last night, it was $8 for just the burger, which IIRC used to cost $5 (and I thought that was a lot back then).
Speaking of cost of things, what did/will you guys spend on your hunting license and tags this year? I think I'll be close to $230 after I get my deer and elk tags.
Transferred title, registered and got customized specialty plates at the DMV the other day, $520 all in. Thought I lived in Warshington for a moment.

Every time one of the supporters of this talks to me I say "why can't you just make the min $75 and hour?" They then start stuttering and stammering about how that would not work. I just keep asking why not? Then they get mad and change subject. :s0092:

Every time one of the supporters of this talks to me I say "why can't you just make the min $75 and hour?" They then start stuttering and stammering about how that would not work. I just keep asking why not? Then they get mad and change subject. :s0092:
Good question to ask those people who support raising(only) minimum wages ;

"Would you pay a factory worker, or metal fabricator, machinist, skilled tradesperson, even computer progammers $50-$75/hour ?"

Good question to ask those people who support raising(only) minimum wages ;

"Would you pay a factory worker, or metal fabricator, machinist, skilled tradesperson, even computer progammers $50-$75/hour ?"
CS majors graduating college can make $150k per year starting in Seattle. That's roughly $75/hr. Plumbing contractors charge at least $100/hr, but that puts them closer to $33/hr.

CS majors graduating college can make $150k per year starting in Seattle. That's roughly $75/hr. Plumbing contractors charge at least $100/hr, but that puts them closer to $33/hr.
Right. The industry I work in (mining, paving, etc) is nipping at the heels of $50/hr for a lot of people. Especially when prevailing wage is involved and that's well before overtime. I don't get that much because I'm just a grease monkey but still. Heck, the union field oil changer made $100k last year

I know a couple IT types that are well into the 6 figures.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top