JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon State Police have finally added the "Firearm Information and Denial Reports" to their website.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/ID/Pages/Firearms-Denial-Information-and-Reports.aspx

Here is a copy of an email I sent April, 29 to Democrat House members regarding this:

Representative,

I have forwarded the FICS Denial reports for your information. These reports are the result of the expensive experiment OSP has been conducting during the past 10 months on 100% investigation of background check denials.

I know you are busy thinking up new ways to "keep me safe" so I will give you the executive summary:

For the period Jun. 17, 2014 - Dec. 31, 2014

Background checks conducted 124,304
Background check "Fees" collected $1,243,040
Denials 1,071 .86% of checks
"Investigation complete no Action" 334 31.19% of denials
Likely "False" denials 55 5.13% of denials

Arrests 37 3.45% of denials
Background Check fees per arrest $ 35,595

25 of the 37 arrested already had active warrants

Bad guys identified and arrested due to BG check 12 1.12% of denials

Background check fees collected per arrest $103,586

Easy public access to this information would have been useful during this run-up to the house vote on SB941. Given the "emergency" nature of the situation and the ready availability of "data" from "Everytown for Gun Safety" withholding these results is understandable. One would hope these reports will be posted to
the OSP web page at some point if only to say all those background check fees bought something.

So now we can complete the saying with some accuracy . . .

"If we can stop just one criminal from getting a gun it's worth $103,586."

Extending this system with additional costs and hardships to private transfers is bad legislation.

I urge you to vote NO on SB941.

Regards,

Grumpy

They would keep going even if there are no arrests

I call the inability of people to critically understand the statistics the "lottery effect" People will play the lottery even though the odds are immensely against them. This mindset transfers to all walks of life including medicine. I will see patients chance it on an unproven treatment rather than take the proven approach. Look at Steve Jobs, one really smart guy, chanced his liver on unproven treatment and died.

So these people see 37 as a huge number. Even if it was a trillion background checks they would see it as a number that HAS to be lowered.

So people, uneducated on statistics, and filled with emotions will continue to give up their freedoms so that they can "win that lottery" when in reality there will always be bad people, there will always be murders and death

If you play the MegaBucks lottery, your chances of winning are the same out to the sixth number to the right of the decimal point whether you buy a ticket or not. (hint: it's all zeros to that point)

Same thing with politicians and statistics - they'll talk about how the law stopped 37 people from getting guns they couldn't legally posess without mentioning the 389 people whose right to buy a gun was needlessly violated. What we have in the current background checks is a law that harms over ten innocent people for every one criminal it catches.

Jim

I still think politicians should have to take a class or an online course on the subject that they are about to vote on, pass a test confirming general knowledge, take a critical thinking and statistics class (and pass that too) then vote. Jeez I have 130 hours of continuing medical education I've done since January and I dont even have the ability to ruin a state economy.

I think you have the name wrong. It's MegaBloom lottery. And they know they've already won ~$600,000. And probably are expecting more in the future as a reward for delivery of the final product.

So what I get from this is if you get a bogus denial they should arrest you and then worry about clearing it up later ???
Am I seeing some of this right. Yeah the criminal should be arrested, but sounds like ya'll might like to see EVERYONE that gets denied arrested. Hmmmmm.
Think about that a little. :)

Too bad all of that information was hidden from us lowly citizens. I even paid for the information through a FOI request but they never sent it. Cashed the check though!

If you play the MegaBucks lottery, your chances of winning are the same out to the sixth number to the right of the decimal point whether you buy a ticket or not. (hint: it's all zeros to that point)

Same thing with politicians and statistics - they'll talk about how the law stopped 37 people from getting guns they couldn't legally posess without mentioning the 389 people whose right to buy a gun was needlessly violated. What we have in the current background checks is a law that harms over ten innocent people for every one criminal it catches.

Jim

My son got caught in that BS. He got behind in his child support, judge put a bench warrant out for him. Only problem no one told my son. So he lost his drivers license an had a bench warrant, only way he found out was he went in to buy a gun and got turned down. He was WTF. Took him a month to find out what was going on. Found out he had been driving with a suspended license for 6 months.

May numbers are out.
18,064 Background checks conducted
$180,640.00 in fees collected
3 arrests made
Almost 18,000 additional legal gun owners added to Oregon's gun registry.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/ID/docs/FICS DENIAL REPOTS/FICS Denial Report Data - May 2015.pdf

Roughly one in five denials now "Referred to Local Jurisdiction" which amounts to an unfunded mandate.
This category has been holding at about 20% for the last few months. No telling where it will go once SB941 is fully implemented in August.

May numbers are out.
18,064 Background checks conducted
$180,640.00 in fees collected
3 arrests made
Almost 18,000 additional legal gun owners added to Oregon's gun registry.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/ID/docs/FICS DENIAL REPOTS/FICS Denial Report Data - May 2015.pdf

Roughly one in five denials now "Referred to Local Jurisdiction" which amounts to an unfunded mandate.
This category has been holding at about 20% for the last few months. No telling where it will go once SB941 is fully implemented in August.

And in just a few days, it will increase as many will abide by the SB941 and not realize they are now on a list.
The OSP says 5 years they keep them, however there is no way to know if they are removed. Places like Cabelas keep them for 10years they say for tax reasons. Do you think Sears or Home Depot keeps my lawn mower purchases on record ten years ? Or Walmart knows I bought toilet paper 10 years ago and how much? But I would be glad to tell them what I did with it.

Now just exactly where are these FFL's that are going to handle these? I know locally( here) many FFL's are saying they are not doing person to person transfers and basically tell people SB9041 who ?

Too many dealers supported 941 - they woukd rather you sell your used gun to them for 50% of its low blue book value so they can turn it for almost full retail. They dont want to do transfers they want you to buy their inventory - even uf they don't have what you are looking for. This is a business win for dealers as the secondary private market gets largely eliminated in 5 days.

And then some FFLs havent bothered to read the stupid law - guy running H&B pawn in Hillsboro said they refuse to do transfers because they refuse to sell handguns and in his imaginary world 941 only applied to handguns.

Don't get ne wrong - I like to support my local gun shops but I won't get stroked so they can make a buck. I'll pay a reasonable price for an item I want but I won't for example pay $500 for a used Glock or m&p that comes with no xtras.

As of August 8 I am done buying used guns from anyone except my legally exempted family members and there are only two LGS that will get my business aside from Bi Mart and Sportsman's. I know the guys at both shops were all against 941 and one shop was handing out recall forms.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top