JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We also need some perspective (ok, the media does, not us) on the magnitude of these events. 10 killed in Canada, run over by a van. Adjusting for the population of Canada compared to the US...that equals about 90 killed in the US for it to be the same. (Our population is about 9 times that of Canada). The same is very much true with events in Europe. Over the past decade the average deaths by rifles is about one per day.

Just heard about the study mentioned above. Agreed. This is information we need to keep getting out.

I really think people need a secure place to keep their guns.

Oh, I agree and I wish every gun owner was as responsible as you are. I have enough firearms now to justify a safe, but nowhere to put one. So I've settled for an alarm system along with cable locks. It helps too that I don't have any kids around. Son is 21 and out on his own.

Perhaps you could contact the media and have them put some actual statistics on of various dangers we all face every day on the evening news?

Relative statistics don't help, people can't wrap their heads around it, I regularly wrote to the Oregonian with this violent crime chart which is awesome and goes back to the 1960s:

U. S. Crime and Imprisonment Statistics Total and by State 1960 - 2013

Oregon Specific:
Oregon Crime Rates 1960 - 2015

113 murders in 2016. Now we can't say how many of those involved guns, we're actually prevented from tracking stats like that (thanks to the Dickey amendment.) But given our population, it only comes out to 2.8 murders per 100,000 residents. That's the highest it's been since 1998 when it was 3.8. Our peak was 1986, 178 murders, 6.6 per 100,000.

So even though the murder rate is the highest in 20 years, it's still 1/2 of our worst year.

Overall violent crime is similar, ticking up in the past few years, but still looking really really good compared to the all time highs.

But it's hard to tell kids in a town of 25,000 people "Hey, chances are, in the next four years, around 3 people will get murdered."

Washington Specific:
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/wacrime.htm

Did anybody see the Louder with Crowder where he went around Friday seeing the percentage of the kids that went to the rally? Almost all of them are under 10% of the kids yet it's being portrayed in the media as a walkout of ALL the kids. Yes, they are lying to us, manipulating the horizontal and the verticle. But then, I've been lied to my whole life by public education so, not sure I should feel surprised. There are those that look into the details and learn the truth, read the politically incorrect history not just the history carefully groomed for the average highschool student, and then there are the sheeple.

Don't be a sheeple.

113 murders in 2016. Now we can't say how many of those involved guns, we're actually prevented from tracking stats like that (thanks to the Dickey amendment.) But given our population, it only comes out to 2.8 murders per 100,000 residents. That's the highest it's been since 1998 when it was 3.8. Our peak was 1986, 178 murders, 6.6 per 100,000.

All you have to do to get to the information on how many crimes involved firearms is to go to Table 12 of the FBI UCR. The Dickey Amendment had nothing to do with it, the FBI tracks those numbers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top