JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The early S&W model 686 (I believe up to the 686-1) had a recall because of one particular ammunition company's round that would not play well with it. The recalled revolvers were modified and stamped with a "M" above the serial number.

I'm curious from those of you who are collectors of Smiths whether or not the modification takes away from it's value.

If you were looking to buy and came across an unmodified one that looked great, would you be pleased it was still original?

If you owned one and never had a problem, would you fix what's not broken?

Thanks for your input.

Depends on if you want to stake your life on that 686 working when you need it the most.
If it was just for show and tell, then maybe it would be worth a little more, but if I were to shoot it, then having S&W make the upgrade repairs would be a big plus.
One of these just came up for trade yesterday, and it had the "M" stamp and it looked like new in the pics and that to me is better then one without the stamp and all looking all beat up but original.

Thanks jbett,
I own a stainless 6" 686-4 and love it. Every so often the early ones show up for sale. When I looked up the reason for the recall, S&W states that the firearm works with 99% of all available ammunition with the exception of one.
If I we're to ever consider buying one, I could easily ignore one company's product, but how it's perceived by the handgun community is subjective, not objective on many occasions.
Thanks for your input.

If a factory recall involved the manufacturer installing some sort of key lock or other none essential lawyer driven safety devise, then an original unmolested gun would defiantly be worth more to me.

I own a 586 no dash that I bought new in 1982. I bought several boxes of factory ammo, then turned to reloading. I do remember one instance of lockup with factory ammo, but have since shot thousands of CCI primed reloads without a hitch.

I wouldn't place a higher or lower value on a modded or unmodded 586/686.

I had an early 686 that had a problem with the primer protruding
through the firing pin hole on the frame causing it to lock up. I
returned it on the recall and it was repaired. No other issues with
the revolver.

I have a 686-1 and I took to S&W armorer at a gun range in Southern California back in the late 1980s. I bought the gun back in 1987. I have a M by the model number on the frame.

I'm worried that if I were to send in my 686........the factory may #@^* with my modified PPC trigger. So, NO.....I'm not sending mine in.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads