JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at possibly adding one of these depending on m114 stay request results.

What are the pros and cons of each? Neither would be carried except at the range. Is 8" too front heavy?

I don't understand why all of these aren't 7 shot. Is the cylinder considerably wider on 7 shot versions and that's why? I don't have any interest in less than 6" barrel.

Thx for any info!

Last Edited:
If hunting, 8" gets you extra velocity. Otherwise, 6" is just dandy.

Cylinder diameter is the same, the 7-shot has thinner chamber walls.

6-shot trigger can be cycled slightly faster, unless you're Jerry Miculek.

4". I don't like long barrels on revolvers, especially if I am going to carry it.

2nd b.jpg

If hunting, 8" gets you extra velocity. Otherwise, 6" is just dandy.

Cylinder diameter is the same, the 7-shot has thinner chamber walls.

6-shot trigger can be cycled slightly faster, unless you're Jerry Miculek.
Good point on velocity. I looked it up on bbti just now and I'm surprised the curve is still pretty steep between 6-8". Not as steep as shorter barrels to 6/8" of course though.

550C6F45-E266-4817-9500-1745A23B70AF.png

I have an older 6" 686 (no dash or -1). My Dad has an older yet 586 with the 8 3/8" barrel. Like them both. The 586 with the longer barrel is a bit more nose heavy, but with the longer sight radius, accuracy is impressive. I remember shooting milk jugs filled with water at a pretty good distance (probably 60 or 70 yards) with it when I was a teenager.

Also remember him shooting into phone books taped together with the 586. It had some pretty good penetration with the longer barrel. Never have chronographed rounds from either gun though.

Last Edited:
I have one with 6" barrel* and like it for target shooting. I don't go out with it as much anymore since discovering all things .44 Magnum, but it is a solid piece. Certainly nothing wrong with the 8⅜" variant and for specific applications it would be better. But if it is just a general revolver, I'd stick with the 6" variant. Cheers.

1708205163846.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads