JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anybody make a modern 45 colt DA revolver? I was looking at ballistics 101 and lowest muzzle energy was 298fpe and highest was over 1200fpe. That's a crazy range.

Sorry... I don't have anything productive to add to the original post...

Sydney Sweeney Smiling.jpg

I own several 686 variations.
For carrying 4 or 6 is ideal. 8 ⅜ is good for target shooting (which is why you'll see it and the 6 with front adjustable sights) but unless you're planning on a shoulder or chest rig carry its not practical. Personally I like my snub or 4 for a carry gun although both don't get used as they are early models and are now in the "collector" category. Obviously a 7 shot for carry makes more sense than a 6 but if you want a 7 and don't want the Hillary hole then you'll have to track down a transitional model (should be a -4) or buy one with the internal lock then have it deleted (they make a kit). It's my shared opinion the 686 is one of the best out of box revolvers out there. Many having the accuracy of a PC model without the added cost. And while they are overlooked many times for the SS 686 I wouldn't be afraid to buy the 586 if I ran into one. It really boils down to what your main job for it will be. Good luck on your search

I own several 686 variations.
For carrying 4 or 6 is ideal. 8 ⅜ is good for target shooting (which is why you'll see it and the 6 with front adjustable sights) but unless you're planning on a shoulder or chest rig carry its not practical. Personally I like my snub or 4 for a carry gun although both don't get used as they are early models and are now in the "collector" category. Obviously a 7 shot for carry makes more sense than a 6 but if you want a 7 and don't want the Hillary hole then you'll have to track down a transitional model (should be a -4) or buy one with the internal lock then have it deleted (they make a kit). It's my shared opinion the 686 is one of the best out of box revolvers out there. Many having the accuracy of a PC model without the added cost. And while they are overlooked many times for the SS 686 I wouldn't be afraid to buy the 586 if I ran into one. It really boils down to what your main job for it will be. Good luck on your search

OldBroad44 says: The 686-4 is not a transitional model to the new design with firing pin on the frame, lock, MIM parts, looser tolerances, less finish, less hand labor, and less glorious trigger pull out of the box. It's the 686-5 that starts that transition with firing pin on frame and MIM parts being the most obvious changes. The entire transition including the lock is finished as of 686-6, the current model. And buying a gun with the lock and deinstalling and plugging it removes only the lock. The rest of the gun is still a downgraded gun by the standards of a 686-4. It needs a complete trigger job to make the SA and DA trigger pulls as lovely as those of a 686-4. Some people detest the lock. But the lock was merely the last in a series of downgrades. Back in the pre-lock era, just about any 686 or 629 with a 4" or longer barrel could consistently put 6 rounds inside 2" at 50 yards from a Ransom rest with good ammo, and the snubbies usually could too if shot with longer bullets. (158 gr bullets, not 125gr or 110 gr for .357 mag. instead of shorter bullets.) (I speculate that a 125gr .357 mag bullet in a 2.5" barrel doesn't get enough contact between bullet metal and lands and grooves to develop optimal spin.) After the redesign of the 629s, SW dropped the standards for the DX designation from 3 shots inside 2" from 50yards to 3 shots under 2" from 25 yards for a year or so, then eliminated that program. Presumably realizing that their own DX program would make it too blatantly obvious that the new design had greatly harmed accuracy.

Last Edited:
Thanks OB👍, I couldn't recall which one it was as I only have earlier models in the stable.

Funny, I almost mentioned the DX series when talking about accuracy but didn't want to tangent off from the OP's question lol. I love my DX models as well.

$18,500?

F THAT!!!!!

They can keep that bubblegum and go bubblegum themselves! What a bubbleguming RIPOFF!!!
Correct. A ripoff. Right up until 4-5 years from now when it brings 15-20% more.

My interest in Magnum revolvers has been toward hunting. I killed two deer with a Security Six .357 6", then when I decided to "dedicate" toward a Magnum revolver, I scoped an 8" Colt Trooper (.357), then later scoped an 8" Smith 57 (.41). These guns took Antelope and Mule Deer.

I own only one .44 Magnum revolver, and it is a Dan Wesson Silhouette gun. I scoped it as well, but have taken no big game with it, though it is more accurate than my Ruger Deerstalker at 100 yards (and weighs just about the same!).

For accuracy and performance, the 8" guns really bring some satisfaction. Strapping the scoped 8" Model 57 to the waist belt of my daypack while bowhunting Caribou made it nearly disappear as to any carrying inconvenience, and gave me the capability of a confident 100yd shot if such presented itself.

1708350171331.jpeg

1708350300403.jpeg

1708350381925.jpeg

Thanks OB👍, I couldn't recall which one it was as I only have earlier models in the stable.

Funny, I almost mentioned the DX series when talking about accuracy but didn't want to tangent off from the OP's question lol. I love my DX models as well.
My edc is Buddy, a 686-4 snubby. :)

Correct. A ripoff. Right up until 4-5 years from now when it brings 15-20% more.

My interest in Magnum revolvers has been toward hunting. I killed two deer with a Security Six .357 6", then when I decided to "dedicate" toward a Magnum revolver, I scoped an 8" Colt Trooper (.357), then later scoped an 8" Smith 57 (.41). These guns took Antelope and Mule Deer.

I own only one .44 Magnum revolver, and it is a Dan Wesson Silhouette gun. I scoped it as well, but have taken no big game with it, though it is more accurate than my Ruger Deerstalker at 100 yards (and weighs just about the same!).

For accuracy and performance, the 8" guns really bring some satisfaction. Strapping the scoped 8" Model 57 to the waist belt of my daypack while bowhunting Caribou made it nearly disappear as to any carrying inconvenience, and gave me the capability of a confident 100yd shot if such presented itself.

View attachment 1826141

View attachment 1826142

View attachment 1826143
If it's such a shrewd investment you should buy it.

It's rare and unusual. Plus they are hard to find. There are probably a bunch of poeple who put it in their cart and are trying to get the money. Don't wait!

It's rare and unusual. Plus they are hard to find. There are probably a bunch of poeple who put it in their cart and are trying to get the money. Don't wait!
I prefer to buy 18,000-dollar guns for $2900.

1708362353947.jpeg
Winchester Model 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine, caliber .38-56 WCF, case colored receiver. One of the rarest Winchesters ever manufactured. A NWFA purchase NOT requiring a second mortgage (but I did have to empty my change jar). It's no .41 Magnum Colt's, but the customer base is far larger.

I prefer to buy 18,000-dollar guns for $2900.

View attachment 1826224
Winchester Model 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine, caliber .38-56 WCF, case colored receiver. One of the rarest Winchesters ever manufactured. A NWFA purchase NOT requiring a second mortgage (but I did have to empty my change jar). It's no .41 Magnum Colt's, but the customer base is far larger.
$18,000, no way. I would say it's worth at least $54,000. Everyone had been waiting for one to buy. In a couple years it will probably be worth $300,000 or more! It's rare and unusual.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews