JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In case anyone else is an engineering / chemistry geek, I've been following the Firearms History blog for a while. The author explains the development of the technology and materials behind firearms, everything from the evolution of steel manufacturing, black powder and smokeless powder, to the different mechanisms by which firearms function. It's detailed and fascinating to a geek like me, and goes back several years. Here's the part I'm currently reading, on the development of smokeless powder:

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Smokeless Powders: Introduction

The main use for smokeless powder was its military benefit. Less smoke allows you to remain concealed for longer, draw less attention, and also fouls your gu less making it easier to use. That and it is not as sensitive as black powder, allowing it to be used in a variety of environments.

IO was watching a show a few weeks back and they were talking about how firearms tech has not really changed much from the 1890s. the last 130 years has been spend on improving the designs rather then real innovation

IO was watching a show a few weeks back and they were talking about how firearms tech has not really changed much from the 1890s. the last 130 years has been spend on improving the designs rather then real innovation

That's right, you eventually get where your going. When the medium that you're working, with has been taken as far as it can go.

That's right, you eventually get where your going. When the medium that you're working, with has been taken as far as it can go.
There will be significant advances within my kids' future. I predict:
  • guns that recognize and work only for their "paired" owner;
  • Selective fire 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or more round bursts;
  • Automatic aiming systems - all you need to do is point it within ±10° of your target;
  • No recoil;
  • Pulse weapons that fire their projectile magnetically (no boom, no powder);
  • Guns for the civilian market that will not fire at a human.
  • and then we get into the space-aged stuff in the next 100 years: firing protons; plasma-encased anti-matter torpedoes.
[edit] if you think about the accuracy of missile and bomb technology and how it has changed the battlefield strategy, same for the aiming of conventional tank rounds, they will develop weapons to take the infantry foot soldier and turn them into one as effective as a sniper. I believe it's inevitable.

Last Edited:
I have to take my hearing aids out to listen to Lee Emory. :eek:

I'm thinking about building a match lock if I can find a cheap large bore barrel.:D

Been watching too many Asian History movies on You Tube.:confused::confused::p

What's most interesting is that the flintlock remained a viable mechanism for ignition for nearly 300 years...
I have a flintlock Trade Gun made in 1920 or so .
It is a Belgium made gun from the company G. Laloux .
.20 gauge and still shoots well . Well enough for clay birds or grouse.
So flintlocks were still made and used well into the cartridge era.
Andy

Here's a look at the evolution of pistols. Might not completely satisfy the inner geek, but it does talk about powder and ignition. And it's fun.

LOL, at about 1:00 in that video, the group of "some of the best trained warriors on the planet!" bailed out of a car in full operator mode. You can see the car lurch forward at 1:04. The driver didn't set the brake or put it in park - the front seat passenger did it on his way out the driver's side. Now I could be wrong, but I don't think that was exactly how they planned it. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top