JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Inspired by, and not wishing to hijack said, the "Alas Babylon - what does it have to teach us" thread: for those that have watched The Day After (1983), what ideas did you have from said? Any specific preparations undertaken afterwards? Any work abandoned? Other observations? Enjoy!

Oh and I would be remiss if not posting the film:

And while I'm at it, the 1983 discussion concerning said:

And to lighten the mood after, well, you know, contemplating the end of human civilization, or our species altogether ... some vintage, oft unintentionally hilarious, 80s commercials that aired during said:

Cheers.

I was 13 when this came out. Cold war in full effect, tensions high, and felt it was just a matter of time. Seeing it left a big impression as it made me wonder what the point of surviving would be: fallout, radiation sickness, poisoned air, water, and land for decades or longer, birth defects or sterility, mass destruction, and societal collapse; no thanks. Let me go in the initial strike quickly. Then I saw Threads, which I have talked about before. The Day After makes you think and Threads is truly terrifying. Reinforced the belief that I do not want to live through a full scale nuclear war. Still gives me the chills to consider.

It's a reminder to live each day to the fullest, to treat your loved ones better than anyone else in your life and that material things lose value and meaning.

Seems in such a situation, hoarding and stockpiling may be meaningless. As has already been said, I. A full out nuclear exchange, my preference would be to be located at ground zero, I stand dust. Better than suffering from radiation poisoning and a painful death.

It's a good reminder and something we all need from time to time…

Boeing is a major target. I'm definitely in the "wouldn't survive the initial blast" radius. However, I'd imagine a foreign power would rather avoid using nuclear attacks because of the whole "mutually assured destruction" thing. Besides, long term dumbing down of the population, indoctrination into marxism, and breeding disloyal immigrant groups at a high rate that leach off taxpayer resources seems to be working well anyway.

You definitely don't want to be living in Northern Montana on the front. It will be #1 on the target list because of all the missile silos there. I have seen hundreds of them scattered around Great Falls and the surrounding area. Unless you don't want to be around after it is all over.

I was 13 and my dad worked at Strategic Air Command (SAC) headquarters at Offut AFB outside of Omaha. We knew we'd be vaporized if the Soviets launched, but I still felt that was an extremely remote possibility. Mutually Assured Destruction didn't make much sense.

Here goes.. :s0093:

Movies, books or teachers don't teach you anything, people learn by experience. Words are there to help you think but until you apply that thinking to actual experience we really don't get the full education.

How many nuclear wars have we had in order to get experience? None huh so what's said is what teachers want you to think about should the elite of the world want to destroy the world. They have too much to lose.

I seriously doubt the elite will start a nuclear but it's a good propaganda that builds fear. World runs on fear and opinion. That's my opinion.:)

I was 11 when it came out and lived in Kansas, roughly where the movie takes place. Teachers were very concerned and showed the movie in school but it didn't have much of an impact on the kids in my school other than we were happy to have a movie we could sleep through.

The wife and I are Binging The Americans. It is set in 83, and they have an episode on the movie.
Shows all the characters were deeply interested in it.

I have not thought about that in a long time, and we saw the episode over the past weekend.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top