JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All those "under the desk" drills ain't gonna do squat. The end.
Remember Bert the Turtle?

Long version (9 minutes)

By the early-mid 60's we were still doing the desk and hallway drills in school. I was still pretty young then but I read a lot. They had us practice covering against an outer wall (hallway I think) and I asked how much dirt was against the wall, because I had read that it took something like 6 feet of dirt to effectively stop the type of radiation we were expecting. The teacher told me to shut up and one of my classmates started crying. So you see I've always been kind of an azz. :D

Someone probably already mentioned "The Road" as a post nuclear movie. To me that is more realistic to how people will behave (form armed gangs, availability of ammo, etc.) VERY graphic movie though and some scenes I wish I could unsee. Some scenes filmed at mt St. Helens and at waterfalls in the gorge.

Times have changed. I believe the greatest threat won't be nuclear, but a massive cyber attack. One can do far more damage across an entire nation by disabling its infrastructure, communications, transport etc.

Boeing is a major target. I'm definitely in the "wouldn't survive the initial blast" radius. However, I'd imagine a foreign power would rather avoid using nuclear attacks because of the whole "mutually assured destruction" thing. Besides, long term dumbing down of the population, indoctrination into marxism, and breeding disloyal immigrant groups at a high rate that leach off taxpayer resources seems to be working well anyway.
They scoffed at President Reagan's missile defense plan. As Michael Been (of The Call) sang,

"They stood there laughing,
They're not laughing anymore"

Times have changed. I believe the greatest threat won't be nuclear, but a massive cyber attack. One can do far more damage across an entire nation by disabling its infrastructure, communications, transport etc.
I think or it's my opinion you are seeing the greatest attack we have to fear. Biological warfare. :s0093:

I was 24 when it came out. I remember thinking, "Aw shucks, I'd consider myself blessed if I went in the first salvo."

Since then, times have changed. Nowadays, I wanna see what's "on the other side" of TEOTWAWKI...

"...what does it teach?"

Well, several things, among them are;

- Know where there's water before you need to bug-out.
- Yelling at the characters on the screen won't help them, no matter how often you re-watch it.
- No matter how hard they try, it's still just a movie, NOT a documentary.
- It would be really much, much harder with zombies.
- if you have a choice, make your apocalypse reservations for the fall or winter.
- make sure you have a mask, in case you meet someone with Cooty-19

- Yelling at the characters on the screen won't help them, no matter how often you re-watch it.
Fic-tate, verb, to yell at a character on the screen, as if they could actually hear you.

Also, fictated fictating

apologies to Rich Hall

Last Edited:

"...what does it teach?"

Well, several things, among them are;

- Know where there's water before you need to bug-out.
- No matter how hard they try, it's still just a movie, NOT a documentary.
- It would be really much, much harder with zombies.
- if you have a choice, make your apocalypse reservations for the fall or winter.
- make sure you have a mask, in case you meet someone with Cooty-19
The Gamma variant will reduce people's cognitive abilities, render them semi-ambulatory and induce a craving for brains.

:D

They're all dead. Everybody's dead.* Is not more than having all electronics disrupted?

I kind of get at the idea of "worse off" If you fall from a building 6 stories up are you worse off if you die or don't die (crippled, etc)?

I can also see that maybe your argument is a nuclear strike is less likely today than in 1983; there are other ways to strike at a country. Some would say a virus. An EMP to shut down critical infrastructure.

* Red Dwarf reference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads