JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I didnt listen when I was told about the reloading addiction . that has led me to the point of unless I load at leat 500 45 acp in one sitting. I am not content. then it went to haveing a good stockpile of brass. 3000 each caliber.
Now I just got my first bullet molds and I am afraid that the bullet casting is going to lead to more of the same. To make things even worse. My wife and kids .Keep encouraging this behavior. I am afraid i will start wondering around parking lots looking for wheel wheights and picking up range scrap at odd hours of the day. If anyone can offer me some sort of treatment options it would be appreciated.
Gota go see if the pot is hot yet.

Addiction or not, I think I'd keep that wife and those kids around :s0155:

The only treatment option I know of is to stop shooting completely. If you can do that, you're a MUCH better man than me!

I truly wish the Government would classify reloading as an addiction or disease. That way my "therapy" could be deducted on my tax return. Maybe even qualify for a tax credit.

I've got it a lot worse than you. My "therapy" sessions usually run in the thousand round range. I keep looking in the case of bullets and say "can't quit yet, there are still bullets left in the case. Then, when my storage area gets filled I feel the compulsion to go shoot so I can make more room.

I wonder if my HMO will pay for the powder and primers like it does for my other medications? ;););)

Funny stuff guys! "I am afraid i will start wondering around parking lots looking for wheel wheights and picking up range scrap at odd hours of the day." Priceless!!

I don't see me doing casting, I plan on sticking to all jacketed/plated.

I get 200 bullets into the second 500 box and start to think about my next buy. Got an order coming tomorrow and wondering if I should have gone for the "Case", instead of JUST a K.

Mike

:cool:It all starts with just a box of a hundred at a time. Then the next thing you know its 300 then 500 then all of a sudden you buy primers by the 5 k and powder by the 8 Lb jugs. next thing you notice is you ran out of brass to fill, then you are torn between fitting in extra shooting days to make more brass or just going out and get some emptys. It is a very tough decision.

ofcourse the next step will be, after you are done shooting you will want to recover as much of the lead as youcan . that you placed down range. So you can make more bullets with them.

Am I the only one that feels this way ? I have a couple of buddies that went shooting. I told them I would buy there brass if they picked it up. so they picked it up and ended up throwing it in the trash. I couldnt believe it. So I told them the least they could do is save it for scrap. or leave it on the ground for people with the addiction who would be happy to turn those emptys back into some thing beautiful. To each there own. I just hate seeing perfectly good brass renderd useless.

Now I got myself all worked up. Time for more therapy.

Wheel weights are usually on the outside of the rim, so why visit a tire shop, when you can just take a pliers through a parking lot... Seriously, my name is Dan, and I am an addict...to reloading, making my own bullets, yada yada yada. My wife encourages me, so she is truly a keeper. Reloading is safer than drugs, cheaper than booze, and...ya get to shoot stuff! What's not to like?

Wheel weights are usually on the outside of the rim, so why visit a tire shop, when you can just take a pliers through a parking lot... Seriously, my name is Dan, and I am an addict...to reloading, making my own bullets, yada yada yada. My wife encourages me, so she is truly a keeper. Reloading is safer than drugs, cheaper than booze, and...ya get to shoot stuff! What's not to like?

Cheaper than booze? After a few beers I go to sleep, after a few (100) bullets I go for more/different powder, more bullets, more primers, more to the range, etc!

Mike

When your bullet bins get full, you go back and reject everything that isn't +- .25 grains, just so you can cast it over again.
After that, there is still 25ft. of flashing to punch gas checks out of...

You know how dirty the rifles get just sitting there in the safe...Have to take them all out for a detail stripping and cleaning
once a month. (God I wish the sun would come out).:s0131::s0131:;)

Jack...:cool:

When your bullet bins get full, you go back and reject everything that isn't +- .25 grains, just so you can cast it over again.
After that, there is still 25ft. of flashing to punch gas checks out of...

You know how dirty the rifles get just sitting there in the safe...Have to take them all out for a detail stripping and cleaning
once a month. (God I wish the sun would come out).:s0131::s0131:;)

I never thought about making my own Gas checks. Man just when I thaught I had it under control. Do you just use thin copper flashing

Cheaper than booze? After a few beers I go to sleep, after a few (100) bullets I go for more/different powder, more bullets, more primers, more to the range, etc!

Mike

I agree. 1 6 pack of beer depending on brand , can equal around 200 plus primers , half a pound of powder, 6-8 lbs of lead,100+ empty once fired brass { if you buy them}, and various other Items related to this wonderful addiction.

Decided to try and beat the cost of copper Gas checks.
so I bought a gas check cutter.:)

Right away I found it was very difficult to make it work in my old RCBS jr.,
so I bought a 1 ton Arbor press. The Arbor press was great, but the cutter kept falling over, so I had
to buy some oversized drills and counter bore the press anvil to hold the cutter. :(

Now for material.
My local Sears has .014 aluminum flashing 50'x6". You can special order it from their supplier, for $40.00 a roll.

Cut into 3/4" wide strips, that's approximately 800 strips per roll. Being careful I can punch 8 GC per strip giving
me 6,400 gas checks per roll. That's a savings of almost $5.00. At this rate I'll only have to shoot about 6,400
.459 cal. bullets to amortize the cost of making my own gas checks.

After that, THEY'RE FREE !!!::s0113:

Been thinking about saving some more money by buying a.....:rollingeyes

There is a fellow on EBAY who sells gas check making dies for aluminum can material.. I definitely am going to get them in several calibers. I don't drink canned beer but my neighbors and wife do

Blitzkrieg,

The diameter of your bullet base will determine the thickness of the material you can use.

I'm casting the RCBS 300gr. bullets. I size to .459 for my .458 Socom AR. With that bullet
I found I had to use .014 in aluminum flashing to make the gas checks stay on.

Remember, Commercial copper gas checks have a lip that locks onto the bullet base when
they are sized. The home cut gas checks do not and have to fit tight.

They only have to stay on until the bullet leaves the bore! If it's a worry I bet superglue would do the trick..

99% of the potential leading is the bullet base melting under the long travel down the bore under fire

My use for them would be at most 45-70/45-60 and 44/45 magnum pistol rounds. I bet even a simple hole punched round piece glued to the bullet base might work. if superglue won't work I bet Liquid nails would

I went to my shrink about my reloading and hoarding and he diagnosed me with obsessive compulsive disorder, so it's covered by my insurance. :s0112:

I showed him a picture of my tools and stash, and now he's reloading and hoarding and seeing a shrink. :s0112: :s0112:

I went to my shrink about my reloading and hoarding and he diagnosed me with obsessive compulsive disorder, so it's covered by my insurance. :s0112:

I showed him a picture of my tools and stash, and now he's reloading and hoarding and seeing a shrink. :s0112: :s0112:

See, no one is safe,

I was just in cabelas about an hour ago. Met a nice old fellow there. He was browsing through the handgun component Isle. so I struck up a conversation. turns out he just got into reloading a couple months ago. him and his wife were shoping for reloading components. Just goes to show you. You are never to old to start reloading. I just guessing but They were probably in there 60 s .

It is fun to encourage fellow addicts, Well gota go, there is some test loads calling my name. take and be safe.

:s0112:
Just FYI, OLD is 105. YOUNG is 60's. :s0112: :s0112:

I stand corected. My dad Is 80 and he Just informed me he would like some pistol rounds for his 40 th birthday in may.
I have my Father to thank for my all things shooting addiction. wich I like to term as ( A.T.S.D.) Now that I have made up my own mental disorder acronym. the next step will be to get special tax breaks and Incentives for all of us that suffer from ATSD. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top